Who is planning to trade in for the Note 10?

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
For the first time in a long time I have absolutely no desire to upgrade to the next Note. I am perfectly happy with my Note 9 and plan on keeping it for the next year.
Glad I am not the only one. First time in a long time I haven't upgraded. For one, I love my Note 9, secondly I am retired now and have to watch my money a little closer!

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Glad I am not the only one. First time in a long time I haven't upgraded. For one, I love my Note 9, secondly I am retired now and have to watch my money a little closer!
I really can't see myself upgrading and I would have done if it was worth it. BUT... No iris scanner, no LED, no SD (unless you want a 10+ which is too big for me and my wardrobe(!)), and no headphone jack is a hell of a sacrifice for a couple of mills less bezel (and a thinner phone... but the N9 is hardly a brick!). Plus a hole in the display, plus a fatter notification bar which takes away the advantage of the thinner bezel in any case. Why on earth would I choose that? Plus I'd have to wait for a new Brodit car charger to come out and they are expensive. (OK I don't need to do that but they are my favourite and the best IMO). Plus the cost of a new Clear View case... No thanks. Lucky I love the N9!

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I really can't see myself upgrading and I would have done if it was worth it.
I respect your reasons and I'm glad you're happy with your N9. But for me: I won't miss the iris-scanner when there's a front-side fingerprint scanner; I don't care about the LEDs if the screen can show the same notification lights; the N10+ is just 1mm taller, and 0.5mm wider, than a N9 (and the N10+ is 1mm thinner, thus 10% less size overall, than the N9); I've never used close to 256GB (but the N10+ still accepts an SD card); I doubt I'll notice the cutout, and a hole is better than missing an entire edge of the screen (N10+ height is 3040 pixels, vs 2960 for the N9); I seldom use wired headphones but if I want to, the N10 comes with USB-C AKG headphones; I haven't heard about the notification-bar size, but if even if it's not software-configurable, it doesn't matter for full-screen apps; I've never used a case for my phone (and my screen has never ended up scratched or cracked), so I won't need a new one; my N9 chargers will still work, plus the N10 comes with a new 25W adapter.

I wouldn't pay $1100 for a N10+. But it's not implausible to pay $500 to trade a N9 for a N10+ with a credit for BT earbuds.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I respect your reasons and I'm glad you're happy with your N9. But for me: I won't miss the iris-scanner when there's a front-side fingerprint scanner; I don't care about the LEDs if the screen can show the same notification lights; the N10+ is just 1mm taller, and 0.5mm wider, than a N9 (and the N10+ is 1mm thinner, thus 10% less size overall, than the N9); I've never used close to 256GB (but the N10+ still accepts an SD card); I doubt I'll notice the cutout, and a hole is better than missing an entire edge of the screen (N10+ height is 3040 pixels, vs 2960 for the N9); I seldom use wired headphones but if I want to, the N10 comes with USB-C AKG headphones; I haven't heard about the notification-bar size, but if even if it's not software-configurable, it doesn't matter for full-screen apps; I've never used a case for my phone (and my screen has never ended up scratched or cracked), so I won't need a new one; my N9 chargers will still work, plus the N10 comes with a new 25W adapter.

I wouldn't pay $1100 for a N10+. But it's not implausible to pay $500 to trade a N9 for a N10+ with a credit for BT earbuds.
I hear you and respect your view, too. LED is a big one for me, I like a bit of vintage on a sophisticated device and it's just more instant and eye catching for me and with Light Flow super useful. But I get it's not essential. I also like Iris, it's cool, kind of sci-fi and flows so nicely. I just think they are nice hardware and I like that in a device. And the choice of finger print or Iris is cool and I do use them in different conditions, and often choose in a split second. Hey, I'm telling you nothing new and no doubt the N10 and N10+ will be awesome in real world conditions. Give it a couple of months, maybe I'll change my view, but for now, for me the N9 is still a fantastic device to be using and my phone of choice. I hope the N10 or N10+ is as good or better for you as the N9 has been. I'll definitely be scouring the forums and reviews so please keep us posted

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

I actually had a Galaxy when they had iris and front facing fps. I ended up using iris more because it was more comfortable than trying to twist my hand around to use the fps.

Front facing has always been an uncomfortable and unnatural placement for the fps.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually had a Galaxy when they had iris and front facing fps. I ended up using iris more because it was more comfortable than trying to twist my hand around to use the fps.

Front facing has always been an uncomfortable and unnatural placement for the fps.
I think the N10+ has face recognition

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Finally, I decided to do it.
9f6c24f0388ebbec60bad5895b74b117.jpg

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I keep my phone in my left pants pocket, upside down, screen facing inward. When I reach for the phone, my left thumb can press the sensor before the phone even exits my pocket.

When I want to use the phone without removing it from its charging stand, it's similarly quick to use the fingerprint sensor. When I'm already holding the phone, I can use the thumb of my other hand, also quick and easy.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Pre ordered Aura Glow Note 10 plus 256 GB unlocked trading in Note 9 128gb...
Note 10 plus looks great and love the upgrades over the Note 9

Johnny Cakes1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Was seriously thinking about it for $500 with the trade in... but No headphone jack, ugly holepunch and not compatible with gear vr.. forget it
I'll stick with my note 9 for now

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I plan on staying with my Note 9; no compelling reason to upgrade. My device still works well. Besides I like having a headphone jack and a microSD card slot.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I had a chance to stop by BB this morning and see the Notes in person. I had wrote off the + because I don't want a "bigger" phone than my Note 8 but surprisingly when I took off my case and a one on top of another comparison, the new + is the same length and only a hair wider than my 8.

I'm still not itching to drop my 8 though. But maybe next year and the 10+ are heavily discounted I may think about it then if I need a phone. But holding the 10+... It doesn't excite me.

For those that have a 9 I really don't see the need to jump. The smaller Note is a non starter because the battery size is unimpressive and the 1080p screen with a hole punch?! ... The screen is a downgrade loses quadHD imo. They don't even have top spec screens this year... 90 and 120hz is the buzzword and surprised they didn't do it on the + with that massive battery.

Any moneys I had to splurge I feel was better spent towards a 11" iPad Pro a couple of weeks ago @ $650 to replace my 4 year old iPad Air 2 cellular.

I plan on staying with my Note 9; no compelling reason to upgrade. My device still works well. Besides I like having a headphone jack and a microSD card slot.

Attachments

• 20190810_103052.jpg
    20190810_103052.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190810_103041.jpg
    20190810_103041.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 28

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Correction...

Still at BB playing with them and now playing with the Regular S10s...

The only time I'd consider the smaller Note 10 is if I was considering the S10+... Yeah... You lose QHD again with the Note and headphone jack but... But.. and... Uh...

Hmm... Now that I said it,... maybe I'd get a heavily discounted S10+ over the smaller Note 10. And I definitely wouldn't let go of a Note 9 for it. Lol.

What is the purpose of the smaller Note??

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Removing features and charging more money?

Nah, I'll keep my note 9 and not support this trend. Only way to get these phone manufacturers to change is by action.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I had a chance to stop by BB this morning and see the Notes in person. I had wrote off the + because I don't want a "bigger" phone than my Note 8 but surprisingly when I took off my case and a one on top of another comparison, the new + is the same length and only a hair wider than my 8.

I'm still not itching to drop my 8 though. But maybe next year and the 10+ are heavily discounted I may think about it then if I need a phone. But holding the 10+... It doesn't excite me.

For those that have a 9 I really don't see the need to jump. The smaller Note is a non starter because the battery size is unimpressive and the 1080p screen with a hole punch?! ... The screen is a downgrade loses quadHD imo. They don't even have top spec screens this year... 90 and 120hz is the buzzword and surprised they didn't do it on the + with that massive battery.

Any moneys I had to splurge I feel was better spent towards a 11" iPad Pro a couple of weeks ago @ $650 to replace my 4 year old iPad Air 2 cellular.

I agee about the regular Note 10. I just looked right passed it and preordered the 10+