Don't take your Note 9 in water unless you take your Bluetooth stylus out!

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
.....unless you take your Bluetooth stylus out! The stylus is not waterproof and it will cause problems when you try to write if you get it wet.
I got a new one under warranty. I recommend if if you take your Note in water/pool and you're going to keep your N9 to get a non Bluetooth stylus for cheap off the net and put your Bluetooth stylus in the box.

What a dumb idea to make the Note 9 waterproof but not the Bluetooth stylus. I read that the Note 10 stylus will be waterproof though.

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Don't take your Note 9 in water!!!!!

That's great advice! I would take it a step further and suggest not to get your Note 9 wet if you can help it. A friend of mine took the "water resistance" too literally and got his wet every chance he got (swimming, shower, etc)... LOL And then one day it stopped working. He contacted Samsung and was told to send it in, he was denied warranty due to "water damage".

.....unless you take your Bluetooth stylus out! The stylus is not waterproof and it will cause problems when you try to write if you get it wet.
I got a new one under warranty. I recommend if if you take your Note in water/pool and you're going to keep your N9 to get a non Bluetooth stylus for cheap off the net and put your Bluetooth stylus in the box.

What a dumb idea to make the Note 9 waterproof but not the Bluetooth stylus. I read that the Note 10 stylus will be waterproof though.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site

I've always understood IP 68 water resistance as meaning if you drop it in a puddle, the toilet, get splashed, or get caught out in the rain, the phone should survive. I never took it as permission to take it swimming or in the shower.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I've always understood IP 68 water resistance as meaning if you drop it in a puddle, the toilet, get splashed, or get caught out in the rain, the phone should survive. I never took it as permission to take it swimming or in the shower.
It is not safe to drop the phone onto or into anything, because the IP68 rating does not cover the impact when the phone lands. Nor is does it cover the force of the water jets coming from a showerhead.

But gently submerging the phone in shallow water for a few minutes (with or without the S Pen) is fine. I've taken underwater videos with no difficulty.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I always take it in the pool/shower.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

That's incorrect. The Note9 S Pen has the same IP68 water-resistance rating as the phone itself: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oubleshooting%2FTSG01001521%2F&token=UPemubVL .

Thanks for the link. Does that refer to the Note 8 Stylus, the Note 9 Bluetooth Stylus or even the Note 10 Stylus? It doesn't say. The Note 8 and 9 stylus's are completely different. Looks like water can get in through were the side button is. My Stylus wasn't working properly (pen would write when not touching the screen), and wouldn't connect with the phone through bluetooth after I took it in the pool. I don't care about the bluetooth function but I couldn't even use the stylus to write.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

That's great advice! I would take it a step further and suggest not to get your Note 9 wet if you can help it. A friend of mine took the "water resistance" too literally and got his wet every chance he got (swimming, shower, etc)... LOL And then one day it stopped working. He contacted Samsung and was told to send it in, he was denied warranty due to "water damage".

The phones themselves are great taking in the water. I can't be without my phone in the water. I read the N10 will be IP69k.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the link. Does that refer to the Note 8 Stylus, the Note 9 Bluetooth Stylus or even the Note 10 Stylus? It doesn't say.
Good point. In any event, though, the Note9 User Manual says, "To maintain the water-resistant and dust-resistant features of your device, make sure that the S Pen slot and opening are both maintained free of dust and water, and the pen is securely inserted prior to any exposure to liquids".

My Stylus wasn't working properly (pen would write when not touching the screen), and wouldn't connect with the phone through bluetooth after I took it in the pool. I don't care about the bluetooth function but I couldn't even use the stylus to write.
Did it work again after it dried off? The IP68 rating only says that the device won't be damaged, not that it necessarily works while wet.

As for pools, note that the IP68 rating does not assure protection from chlorine.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Good point. In any event, though, the Note9 User Manual says, "To maintain the water-resistant and dust-resistant features of your device, make sure that the S Pen slot and opening are both maintained free of dust and water, and the pen is securely inserted prior to any exposure to liquids".

Did it work again after it dried off? The IP68 rating only says that the device won't be damaged, not that it necessarily works while wet.

As for pools, note that the IP68 rating does not assure protection from chlorine.

I wouldn't think water hurts a non bluetooth stylus so that must be for the Note 8.

A week after I took my note in the water, the S-Pen was still messed up. I can't remember if I took the S-Pen out when I was in the pool. I'll get a non bluetooth version when I get a Note 10 if they still even have bluetooth stylus's.

Chlorine...hmmm. Well, I'm not keeping the phone in the pool, just taking it with me to read while I'm in the pool. Yes it will go under water some but I'm not too worried about taking it in the pool. I've never had a problem with taking an IP68 rated phone in the pool and I've done it a lot. I take that back, the Note 7 acted a little funny until it dried because I think a very very small amount of water could get into the physical home button. Still worked though.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

I remember some of the Samsung commercials for their water resistant phones showing a guy drop it while on a floaty in the pool. Then diving down to get it off the bottom and continuing to use it once back on the floaty. Kind of makes it seem like chlorine is okay, but it just be a screw up by marketing, too.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

The phones themselves are great taking in the water. I can't be without my phone in the water. I read the N10 will be IP69k.
As long as you're willing to eat the cost of repairing/replacing the phone if it ever suffers water damage, more power to you. IP ratings are for specific lab tests that don't take into account real world variables like pool chemicals or other contaminants. It should be treated more as a "just in case" feature until manufacturers start covering water damage under warranty.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Don't take your Note 9 in water unless....

I don't plan immersing my phone in water, however chlorinated water does not enter a water resistant device any easier that non chlorinated water. The problem with chlorinated water is that it has the potential to deteriorate the gaskets impacting the water resistantance over time for future accidental or deliberate immersions. Of course the amount of chlorine and duration of exposure also is a factor. The best thing to do after exposure to chlorinated water or other chemicals is to rinse it off with plain water. Even tap water with chlorine should be OK to rinse with since the level of chlorine is minimal. The best insurance against water damage is avoiding exposure.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site

I remember using a Casio watch in the pool once as it was waterproof to a depth of 200m, so after I got out of the pool with it all the writing/branding had disappeared, the chlorine had stripped it all, the watch worked ok but I couldn't see what the 4 buttons were for lol

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't plan immersing my phone in water, however chlorinated water does not enter a water resistant device any easier that non chlorinated water.
What effect does chlorine have on the screen's oleophobic coating?