Camera Crazy in 2.0x Stopped in Update

SkydiverTilt

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
My phone was one of the ones afflicted with the camera waves and vibration when you went to 2x zoom.

I was waiting til I got back from vacation to get a replacement but I've run numerous tests since the update and I can't recreate it. Wonder if the update figured out how to correct this??

Anyone else had this malfunction suddenly cease?

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
My phone was one of the ones afflicted with the camera waves and vibration when you went to 2x zoom.

I was waiting til I got back from vacation to get a replacement but I've run numerous tests since the update and I can't recreate it. Wonder if the update figured out how to correct this??

Anyone else had this malfunction suddenly cease?
Which update? Doesn't surprise me, infsil to believe it wasn't brought on by the Pie update.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Oh. I don't have that because I'm on unlocked and whoever is behind the coding is an *****. Ridiculous that it takes this long to get it out to everyone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh. I don't have that because I'm on unlocked and whoever is behind the coding is an *****. Ridiculous that it takes this long to get it out to everyone.
Yeah I guess it saves Samsung money to just have the carriers test it out and give a ok to the unlocked version.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Isn't there a way to load this camera update on your own like with Android updates? This is really starting to infuriate me.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For AT&T the fix is in the August update.

I tested it, and it fixed it on mine. It isn't really a fix, but a workaround in the software.

The issue was on the 2x lens, so the fix just detects the issue and shuts off the 2x lens using only the 1x. So while it does make the camera usable, it effectily removes a built in feature (the 2x lens).

My phone and my daughters both have the issue. She won't give up her phone for repair, and I am switching to the note 10+.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Isn't there a way to load this camera update on your own like with Android updates? This is really starting to infuriate me.
No you have to flash the whole firmware .
I left the unlocked firmware couple weeks ago and on carriers firmware with Att

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For AT&T the fix is in the August update.

I tested it, and it fixed it on mine. It isn't really a fix, but a workaround in the software.

The issue was on the 2x lens, so the fix just detects the issue and shuts off the 2x lens using only the 1x. So while it does make the camera usable, it effectily removes a built in feature (the 2x lens).

My phone and my daughters both have the issue. She won't give up her phone for repair, and I am switching to the note 10+.
That's great it fix your camera issue

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just got the update with night mode and the buzzing crappy zoom issue is still there, so it didn't do anything for me.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you work with your carrier or Samsung to resolve the problem?

Because all they're going to do is tell me to send it in for repair or a refurb. I refuse to believe it's hardware, and I don't use zoom enough to send my mint note 9 in to have them year it open. I see post after post about people getting them back scratched or have the same exact thing happen. If it happened to be fixed in this update it would be great, but I'm not that upset about it. More upset that as usual, Samsung has no response other than canned responses.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the problem has been around a while and the fix is hardware related. The "update fix" shuts the function off. I have friends that had the problem, Samsung did not ask him to send it it but sent him to a local authorized dealer. It was fixed in a few hours no cost to him. The other had Verizon simply replace the phone.
If you'd rather complain than act... your phone, your call.

Because all they're going to do is tell me to send it in for repair or a refurb. I refuse to believe it's hardware, and I don't use zoom enough to send my mint note 9 in to have them year it open. I see post after post about people getting them back scratched or have the same exact thing happen. If it happened to be fixed in this update it would be great, but I'm not that upset about it. More upset that as usual, Samsung has no response other than canned responses.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the problem has been around a while and the fix is hardware related. The "update fix" shuts the function off. I have friends that had the problem, Samsung did not ask him to send it it but sent him to a local authorized dealer. It was fixed in a few hours no cost to him. The other had Verizon simply replace the phone.
If you'd rather complain than act... your phone, your call.

As far as I remember, the issue only started with Pie. If you can find any examples that state otherwise I'd like to see them, but between that and reading about people having their phones scratched up or the issue coming back months after the replacement, I will keep my mint Note 9 with a feature I rarely use. It's not a case of "complaining and not acting", I'm just stating observations. Visiting the Samsung forums is tiresome because there is a topic with hundreds of pages of this issue and all they say is "does it still do this in safe mode? What is the IMEI number of your phone?" Why drag people through that rather than just say look, we know there's an issue, this is the solution.

I'd also like to know where boufa heard about the supposed software "fix".

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
There are are options, your choice....good luck.

As far as I remember, the issue only started with Pie. If you can find any examples that state otherwise I'd like to see them, but between that and reading about people having their phones scratched up or the issue coming back months after the replacement, I will keep my mint Note 9 with a feature I rarely use. It's not a case of "complaining and not acting", I'm just stating observations. Visiting the Samsung forums is tiresome because there is a topic with hundreds of pages of this issue and all they say is "does it still do this in safe mode? What is the IMEI number of your phone?" Why drag people through that rather than just say look, we know there's an issue, this is the solution.

I'd also like to know where boufa heard about the supposed software "fix".

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got another software update and my camera issue went away. It still uses the 2x and not the 1x as mentioned above, so like I said, I'd want some proof of what he's talking about. I haven't had it happen a single time since the last update, so once again i stand by my statement that it was software all along. It's too much of a coincidence.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
On a number of forums, users report that the most recent security patch seemed to take care of the problem. I had issues with my Tmo Note 9 after the long awaited pie update came through. The audio on videos I shot was muffled and the zoom lens had issues focusing and a wavy pattern formed. I took it to UbreakIfix, they tested it and off to Samsung repair in Texas it went. 2 weeks later I recieved it back with a new camera module installed but then "Ok Google" couldn't respond because the lock screen would not open. Back to Texas it went and after hours on the phone with (lack of) support. I was told a new phone was being sent out. After over a month without a phone I received a new S-pen and send SD card slot...no phone. After more hours on the phone and more untruths I received a phone which had a different IMEI number. I don't know if it is new, refurbished or the same phone, but the cameras work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital