Google Photos

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question , but I'm going to ask anyway. Lol I recently started using Google Photos to back up certain pics on my phone and as card. If I backup the pics in photos and then erase the pics from my phone or sd card the original pics will still be in the Photos app right ? I just want clarification before I start deleting.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes they will be stored in the "cloud" and removed from local storage. To view them your phone will download a temporary copy and then remove it when you're done.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@sweetypie31, the important thing to remember is if you're using the Google Photos app to delete a photo, DONT TAP THE GARBAGE CAN. That will put the photo in the Trash, and that will sync across the entire Google Photos platform (i.e., anywhere you access Google Photos). You can always recover a photo in the Trash within a certain time frame (I think 30 days), but after that, it's gone.

Instead, in Google Photos, select the picture, tap Menu, then Delete From Device. This will only delete the locally saved copy, but will leave the cloud one alone.

It's easier just to use the Free Up Space option in the Google Photos app's main menu -- this will automatically delete any of the locally saved photos that Google Photos knows has been backed up to your cloud.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
@sweetypie31, the important thing to remember is if you're using the Google Photos app to delete a photo, DONT TAP THE GARBAGE CAN. That will put the photo in the Trash, and that will sync across the entire Google Photos platform (i.e., anywhere you access Google Photos). You can always recover a photo in the Trash within a certain time frame (I think 30 days), but after that, it's gone.

Instead, in Google Photos, select the picture, tap Menu, then Delete From Device. This will only delete the locally saved copy, but will leave the cloud one alone.

It's easier just to use the Free Up Space option in the Google Photos app's main menu -- this will automatically delete any of the locally saved photos that Google Photos knows has been backed up to your cloud.
Yes. I know about the trash can. We've had a run in already . It's wasn't pretty.lol I did not know I could still only erase locally from the Photos apps though. Thanks for that info.