Secure Wifi

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
In the unlocked version of Note 9 on vzw there is a built in "Secure Wifi" that is free for some tiny amount of data then charges some monthly fee to continue using.

Does anyone know anything about it? Who runs it? What does it cost? Is it a good product at a competitive fee?

Thanks!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can't click links but I'm talking about when you're on an open wifi network there is an app built in to phone that supposedly makes it safe for 2 dollars a month?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's the text of that site:

What is Safe Wi-Fi, and how much does it cost?
Safe Wi-Fi is a downloadable app that safeguards your connection on network-enabled devices using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Safe Wi-Fi protects your privacy and blocks ad tracking, creating a secure Wi-Fi connection anywhere in the world.

Get Safe Wi-Fi on up to 10 devices on your account for only $3.99/mo. Learn how to subscribe to Safe Wi-Fi.

Note: To subscribe to Safe Wi-Fi on your account, you must be the Account Owner or Account Manager. Canceling the service is prorated.

Am I eligible to use Safe Wi-Fi?
Safe Wi-Fi is compatible with most Verizon Wireless data plans, including:

The new Verizon Plan shared data plans (e.g., S, M, L). Learn more about the new Verizon Plan.
Unlimited plans you can mix and match (i.e., Start Unlimited, Play More Unlimited, Do More Unlimited, Get More Unlimited, Above Unlimited*, Beyond Unlimited*, Go Unlimited*)
The Just Kids plan
The Verizon Plan*
Most MORE Everything® plans*
Nationwide plans*
Mobile broadband plans
International plans and features
However, the service can't be used with the following:

MORE Everything 250 MB plan
Non-Nationwide plans such as America's Choice®
Prepaid accounts
Business accounts (with ECPD Profile)
Corporate accounts
Devices with PTT (Push to Talk) enabled
You must also have an eligible device:

Android™ smartphones and network-enabled tablets (OS 4.4.1 and newer)
iPhone® and iPad® (iOS 10 and newer)
For more information about your device's ability to use Safe Wi-Fi, see your User Guide.

Note: To subscribe multiple devices, you must be the Account OwnerIn My Verizon, the person with legal authority and financial responsibility for an account. or Account Manager.

*These plans are no longer available to add to your account.

How do I subscribe to Safe Wi-Fi?
You can subscribe to Safe Wi-Fi online in My Verizon or on the Safe Wi-Fi app on your device:

Sign in to the Products & Apps page in My Verizon.
Scroll to Safe Wi-Fi, then click Get it now.
You've successfully subscribed. Safe Wi-Fi will be added to all eligible lines on your account.

Safe Wi-Fi app

Download the Safe Wi-Fi app from the Google Play™ Store or Apple® App Store® on your device.
Follow the onscreen instructions to sign up for Safe Wi-Fi with a 1-month free promotion.
You've successfully subscribed. Safe Wi-Fi will be added to all eligible lines on your account.

How do I enable Safe Wi-Fi features on my device?
Follow these steps to enable Safe Wi-Fi on your device once you've subscribed to it. For steps on how to subscribe to Safe Wi-Fi, refer to How do I subscribe to Safe Wi-Fi?

To turn on Safe Wi-Fi (VPN):

Open the Safe Wi-Fi app on your device.
Check that you're connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Check your connection status. If VPN is off, tap the red Wi-Fi icon under VPN Status.
What is a Trusted Network?
Trusted Networks are networks you know are secure. A Trusted Network can be your home or work Wi-Fi network. Safe Wi-Fi will not secure traffic on a Trusted Network automatically, but you could manually enable it when needed.

To add a Wi-Fi network to the Trusted Network list:

Open the Safe Wi-Fi app on your device.
Tap the Settings Menu in the top right corner.
Tap Settings.
Tap Add trusted network.

Note: A list of Wi-Fi networks in your area will appear.
Select the Wi-Fi network you'd like to add.
You've successfully added a Trusted Network.

Why am I receiving this pop-up message on my Android phone: "Connection request, Safe Wi-Fi wants to set up a VPN connection that allows it to monitor network traffic. Only accept if you trust the source."?
This message appears before a VPN configuration can be installed on an Android phone. Safe Wi-Fi does not monitor your internet browsing activity.

Why am I receiving this pop-up message on my Apple device: "Safe Wi-Fi Would Like to Add VPN Configurations. All network activity on this iPhone may be filtered or monitored when using VPN"?
This message appears before a VPN configuration can be installed on an Apple device. Safe Wi-Fi does not monitor or filter your internet browsing activity.

How do I uninstall the Safe Wi-Fi app from my device?
To uninstall the Safe Wi-Fi app:
Android

Tap Settings.
Tap Applications or Application Manager.
Tap Safe Wi-Fi.
Tap Uninstall.
iOS

Press and hold down the Safe Wi-Fi icon until the icons jiggle.
Tap the X on the Safe Wi-Fi icon.
Confirm the Delete instruction by tapping Delete.
You've successfully uninstalled the Safe Wi-Fi app.

Note: Deleting the app doesn't prevent monthly recurring charges for the associated features.

How do I unsubscribe from Safe Wi-Fi?
Your subscription will automatically renew each month unless you cancel it. You can cancel your Safe Wi-Fi subscription anytime in My Verizon.

To unsubscribe from Safe Wi-Fi:

Sign in to the Products & Apps page in My Verizon.
Tap or click the Manage Your Products tab.
Scroll to Safe Wi-Fi.
Select or tap Manage Safe Wi-Fi.
Select or tap Remove From Account.
You've successfully unsubscribed from Safe Wi-Fi.

Where can I find the Terms and Conditions for Safe Wi-Fi?
View Safe Wi-Fi's Term and Conditions.

How secure is Verizon's Safe Wi-Fi VPN? Does Verizon log or view my browsing activity when the VPN is on?
Our VPN uses highly advanced security and 128-bit AES encryption technology to ensure your data is protected. Safe Wi-Fi never tracks, logs, or stores any of your personal information. By using our VPN, your IP address is hidden and data is secure.

Where are the Safe Wi-Fi servers located?
The servers, powered by McAfee®, are located in sites inside and outside the US.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
If you use public WiFi a lot, it is not a bad idea.

However, there re other options. I use NordVPN which can be used for all of your devices.

If you don’t use unsecured WiFi access points, you probably don’t need it.

Best,
R

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I think paying any amount for safe wifi is too much. Until recently when I signed up for unlimited mobile data I was using public wifi all the time. I just made sure of who was running the wifi.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If all you want is safety, any free VPN is good enough - but so is using https sites instead of http sites. (This site is secure.) As long as what you're doing isn't illegal.

JoshuaPack

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys, if you want to have actual safe WiFi for free, there is a really good solution now. Cloudflare Warp provides this. You can download the 1.1.1.1 app by cloudflare to enable it.

It doesn't hide your IP, but it does encrypt all communication through a VPN, which is the whole point of securing public WiFi.

They have a Warp+ subscription, which is supposed to be faster, but, truthfully, for what I use public WiFi for, I don't need fast, I need secure, and Warp does that.

Edit: also, it uses cloudflare DNS instead of the WiFi routers. Which is better, just in case there router got hacked.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
In the unlocked version of Note 9 on vzw there is a built in "Secure Wifi" that is free for some tiny amount of data then charges some monthly fee to continue using.

Does anyone know anything about it? Who runs it? What does it cost? Is it a good product at a competitive fee?

Thanks!
I had that pop up a couple of times on the Note 10+. I said no and didn't realize it was Verizon. Thought it was some kind of Samsung thing.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
For those who say a free vpn is fine, I don’t agree at all.

At least check the many vpn reviews online. If it is free, they are getting money somehow, whether it is annoying ads or they are selling your data.

Nothing is free...

R

JoshuaPack

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
For those who say a free vpn is fine, I don’t agree at all.

At least check the many vpn reviews online. If it is free, they are getting money somehow, whether it is annoying ads or they are selling your data.

Nothing is free...

R

I agree with you. I would never use a free VPN, but then cloudflare Warp came. I don't see any cons to it, unless you want a VPN to hide your IP. I don't mean to sound like I'm selling this product, it's just I never thought a free product like this would exist.

Here is there blog post:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/1111-warp-better-vpn/

Here is a snippet:
What’s the Catch?
Let’s acknowledge that many corners of the consumer VPN industry are really awful so it’s a reasonable question whether we have some ulterior motive. That many VPN companies pretend to keep your data private and then sell it to help target you with advertising is, in a word, disgusting. That is not Cloudflare’s business model and it never will be. The 1.1.1.1 App with Warp will continue to have all the privacy protections that 1.1.1.1 launched with, including:

1. We don't write user-identifiable log data to disk;

2. We will never sell your browsing data or use it in any way to target you with advertising data;

3. Don’t need to provide any personal information — not your name, phone number, or email address — in order to use the 1.1.1.1 App with Warp; and

4. We will regularly hire outside auditors to ensure we're living up to these promises.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21