Google app update kills app and Assistant

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A app is causing this

So, the rogue app went to sleep in safe mode and didn't wake up yet, or not all of the way in regular mode and is causing only a small issue, now?

ETA, it was grayed out because Bixby was set ad my default assistant app.
It's going now, but I still don't know how going into and out of SAFE MODE fixed it.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So, the rogue app went to sleep in safe mode and didn't wake up yet, or not all of the way in regular mode and is causing only a small issue, now?

ETA, it was grayed out because Bixby was set ad my default assistant app.
It's going now, but I still don't know how going into and out of SAFE MODE fixed it.
That's strange , usually just disables 3rd party apps...but maybe it change a setting or permission. Glad it's working though.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I've been dealing with this, every Google app update, since.
If I get a Google app update, the Google girl, manual search and Discover page all quit functioning.

The easiest fix I've found is to reboot into SAFE MODE, check that the Google app works and then reboot into regular mode. All things Google then work. Go figure.

THEN, I have to reinstall my Samsung theme, because it's gone; uninstall and reinstall all things in Swift Installer; reset widgets, because they are there, but blank and cannot be awakened. The easiest way I've found to setup the widgets again, is by restoring my Nova Launcher backup.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This morning I woke up to a notification that the Google app had auto updated on the secure folder.
Yup. No Google Girl. No Google search. No Google Discovery.
Ugh... Here we go again...

So I figure out how to stop app auto updates in the secure folder and get ready to perform the riggamarole.
The first step is to uninstall Swift Installer overlays. There were two overlay updates pending, inside of Swift Installer. One was for the Google app.
I decided to do the updates prior to the riggamarole.
Overlay updates installed, I perform the required reboot, into regular (unsafe) mode. I have a thought... Let's just see if Google app works after the update.
IT DOES!!!

The Swift Installer update for the Google app overlay must have fixed the issue.

Time will tell...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty