Google app update kills app and Assistant

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Last night I got an update to the Google app.
Right after it installed, Google would not open. Assistant will not open and the Google feed but pressing the home button will not open.
I've cleared cache in the Google app and rebooted, no joy.
I cleared data on the Google app, Google Play Services app and Google Play Store app and rebooted, no joy?
I've sent into phone recovery and cleared cache partition a couple times along the way.
No joy.

I realize that I'm on my way to the dreaded factory reset, but what caused this?

I'm hoping for another update to the Google app for a fix, before I resort to the dreaded FR.

I was able to download and use the Google Go "light" app.

Any ideas? Screenshot_20191003-190756_Nova%20Launcher.jpeg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Last night I got an update to the Google app.
Right after it installed, Google would not open. Assistant will not open and the Google feed but pressing the home button will not open.
I've cleared cache in the Google app and rebooted, no joy.
I cleared data on the Google app, Google Play Services app and Google Play Store app and rebooted, no joy?
I've sent into phone recovery and cleared cache partition a couple times along the way.
No joy.

I realize that I'm on my way to the dreaded factory reset, but what caused this?

I'm hoping for another update to the Google app for a fix, before I resort to the dreaded FR.

I was able to download and use the Google Go "light" app.

Any ideas? View attachment 311102
Hello my friend , you might want to uninstall the update to Google app and don't update it .

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello my friend , you might want to uninstall the update to Google app and don't update it .
Hey Buddy!
I'm pretty sure I did that, but it won't hurt to try again.
I enrolled in the beta app, in hopes that one would be different and work, but it hasn't.
Here I go....

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
When I select the DISABLE button, I don't get the usual message about removing updates.
I've selected it and rebooted and enabled.
No joy. Screenshot_20191003-193929_Settings.jpeg

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
On my Note 10+
3 dots upper right corner after long press the Google app and tap infoView attachment 311106
That was a great tip, as I was so wrapped around the axel, I couldn't see and didn't recall that there is a three dot menu on that page. I thought surely that would fix it and I would avoid the dreaded FR.
I did it and rebooted and I was able to open a blank Google search page, from the Pixel Pill shortcut only. Entering a search or opening figure from any other method led to the same popup about GOOGLE KEEPS STOPPING.

The Google app page in the Play Store shows that the beta is still installed. Screenshot_20191004-062458_Google%20Play%20Store.jpeg

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Under the beta tab in My Apps, the Google app is not listed.
How can I uninstall the beta if I cannot find it on my list? Screenshot_20191004-062508_Google%20Play%20Store.jpeg

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
And now I've updated the Google app, rebooted and still no joy.
I'd much rather figure out what the conflict is, than factory reset?
It's boggling.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah something going on ..
Thanks for the help, dude!
I don't have time to factory reset right now, so I'll leave it and hopefully something will change with an update.
I've sent feedback to Google, several times, when the app crashes.
Otherwise, I'll factory reset tonight or tomorrow.
Peace!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the help, dude!
I don't have time to factory reset right now, so I'll leave it and hopefully something will change with an update.
I've sent feedback to Google, several times, when the app crashes.
Otherwise, I'll factory reset tonight or tomorrow.
Peace!
Your welcome, anytime!
If you can wait it out maybe for update ,I don't think should do face reset yet.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Your welcome, anytime!
If you can wait it out maybe for update ,I don't think should do face reset yet.

I always forget to try the SAFE MODE.
Anyways, the Google app works in safe mode.
I guess that I should uninstall recently added apps one at a time, until it works or what?