Samsaug/andriod is rolling out updates now !!

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
This is so new to me I have a t-mobile note 9 and I'm getting updates in a more Consistent basis and it's running more efficient i can get use to this !! Why upgrade

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Because you only get 2 version updates - the phone came with Oreo, it can be (or has been) updated to Pie, then to Android 10. Then that's it. In 3 or 4 years, there will be apps you can't run on anything less than Android 12 or 13.

Besides, the battery won't last forever, so you'll have to pay to have it replaced - on a phone not worth much more than the charge for replacing the battery.

And if the new phones get real iris readers, you may want that security. (My last upgrade was from a note 3 - to get fingerprint security.)

Eventually, even a phone that just came out, like the Pixel 4, will be so outdated it will be useless. (A phone with 1GV of storage and 512MB of RAM used to be a flagship phone. These days, you can't even install a current version of Android in it - there's not enough storage.)

If you never discharge the battery past 50%, you can keep the phone for about 4 years, replace the battery and keep it for another 3. But you won't want a 7 year old phone.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Eventually everyone has to update but there is no need to upgrade more than every 2 years at a minimum but 3 years more realistically.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is so new to me I have a t-mobile note 9 and I'm getting updates in a more Consistent basis and it's running more efficient i can get use to this !! Why upgrade
Note 9 might not get another major OS update after Android 10 but is very very capable phone next 2 years for sure , might have to replace battery at some point but to me worth it.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Note 9 might not get another major OS update after Android 10 but is very very capable phone next 2 years for sure , might have to replace battery at some point but to me worth it.

Very true! There are jumpers here who replace their phones every six months to one year and don't realize that these phones have some very strong longevity to them. The Note 9 is one VERY POWERFUL PHONE!

Fast-T

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
Very true! There are jumpers here who replace their phones every six months to one year and don't realize that these phones have some very strong longevity to them. The Note 9 is one VERY POWERFUL PHONE!
The Note 9 made me abandoning my annual switch habit. It's a good phone. I love it.

Walter Wagenleithner

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
The Note 9 made me abandoning my annual switch habit. It's a good phone. I love it.

It's a great phone. As the changes in the new generation of the Note or S line are often not that big, and sometimes You even lose some features, You can surely keep it for let's say three or more years without compromising in functionality.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
As I wrote, one CAN keep it for three years. I must admit that it does not necessarily mean that I really do it ;)

I used my Note 4 for 3 years but stopped enjoying the user experience after the first two. I had battery problems . Replaced it twice from an authorized dealer . Never was as good as the original battery . Subsequently, I decided not to use phones more than 2 years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes