Wireless charging question

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have tried several quick charge devices. I notice one thing in common with all of them...they make my phone get really hot and barely charge the phone. It seems like all they do is break even on the battery percent or slightly go up/down. Am I doing something wrong? I hear about people that love these wireless chargers yet I haven't had a good experience with any of them no matter how much I pay for them. I can't help but think the overheating could be damaging my battery/phone for almost no battery charge. I've tried ones that go from $10 or less up to $50 and they all seem the same.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are a few different charging methods, so you need a charger that uses the technology that your phone uses - Power Delivery.

Wireless chargers give off heat. Heat rises. If the charger sits flat, the heat from the charger rises through the phone, warming it above what charging does. (If the charger is a stand, with the phone almost vertical, most of that heat goes up into the room instead.)

The reason the phone is barely charging when it's turned on could be because you've so badly misused the battery that it's incapable of providing enough power for the phone. (Things like regularly allowing it to discharge lower than 40%. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. At 40%, charge or turn off. [Discharging to near 0% every time can kill a brand new battery in a month or two.])

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The Note 9 will not wirelessly fast charge, when the screen is on.

The wife and I have a Cheotech and an Aukey wireless charging pad for our Note 9s that we use to charge over night. Both are Qi. Both quick charge with an appropriate amperage charging block connected. No heating issues.

Last edited:

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
There are a few different charging methods, so you need a charger that uses the technology that your phone uses - Power Delivery.

Wireless chargers give off heat. Heat rises. If the charger sits flat, the heat from the charger rises through the phone, warming it above what charging does. (If the charger is a stand, with the phone almost vertical, most of that heat goes up into the room instead.)

The reason the phone is barely charging when it's turned on could be because you've so badly misused the battery that it's incapable of providing enough power for the phone. (Things like regularly allowing it to discharge lower than 40%. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. At 40%, charge or turn off. [Discharging to near 0% every time can kill a brand new battery in a month or two.])

My battery rarely gets below 40%. I know how to properly treat a battery. The charger is a flat charger so that may explain some of the heating issues. This is a link to the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/EGGTRONIC-Wi...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6693468

The page says "Specifications 10W Fast Charging Wireless Fast Charge feature available on top-of-the-line Galaxy smartphones". Doesn't seem like much of a fast charge to me! That's why I thought I might be doing something wrong.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have tried several quick charge devices. I notice one thing in common with all of them...they make my phone get really hot and barely charge the phone. It seems like all they do is break even on the battery percent or slightly go up/down. Am I doing something wrong? I hear about people that love these wireless chargers yet I haven't had a good experience with any of them no matter how much I pay for them. I can't help but think the overheating could be damaging my battery/phone for almost no battery charge. I've tried ones that go from $10 or less up to $50 and they all seem the same.
You may have apps running in the background that are preventing fast charging from kicking in especially if it's getting hot. Does it indicate fast charging on the screen? Also, if you haven't already done so, check your charging settings because on some Samsung devices fast charging has a toggle on or off. It is normal for some heat while charging. I use the Samsung charger with a built in fan that cuts down on heat.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
You may have apps running in the background that are preventing fast charging from kicking in especially if it's getting hot. Does it indicate fast charging on the screen? Also, if you haven't already done so, check your charging settings because on some Samsung devices fast charging has a toggle on or off. It is normal for some heat while charging. I use the Samsung charger with a built in fan that cuts down on heat.

It could just be background apps running. I went into settings and clicked to allow the phone to put unused apps to sleep. I'll see if that helps. It does show fast charging when the phone is on the charger but it just doesn't seem to charge very fast.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought the 20-80% was no longer a worry, with new battery tech. Is that not the case, after all?
Some say 40 to 80%.... To each his own but I can't run my life that way and I'm not convinced it makes that much of a difference. The only rule I follow is to top off before it gets too low and avoid zero. I used to upgrade every 2 to 3 years and never had any real issues. Now I upgrade or swap out more often so if there is any degradation it's not noticable. Maybe if I measured before and after I would notice it but I'm not about to start.

Eric Webb

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Of course, the higher the insulating factor of a case protector, the slower the charging rate and the higher the heat retention within the device--it's just a matter of how much.

Don't know how much this applies to your situation, but I've seen it have an impact for those folks with waterproof or serious impact-resistant rubber cases. A landscaper I know takes his big honking case off before fast wireless charging.

Example: My S10 has a fairly typical slimline case with a plastic back and rubberized sides and corners. We use the Samsung dish charger model EP-5100, which has an upright angle of about 60°.

Charging from 15%-->90% takes 60 minutes if I close all open background apps and turn off the bluetooth and wifi radio transmitters. If not, then it might take 90 minutes. Given my case, the heat dissipates well enough so I really don't notice it after a minute or two after charging.

Hope this helps.

Eric Webb

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought the 20-80% was no longer a worry, with new battery tech. Is that not the case, after all?
Hey there,

With Li-Ion and trickle charge circuitry, I'd say you're correct.

The most important wear aspect of Li-Ion rechargeable batteries is the number of total battery cell charges.

Charging these batteries from 50% to 100% counts as only a 1/2 charge count towards the total battery charge count. Charging twice from 50% to 100% does not "wear" your battery more than once from 0% to 100%.

Of course, a completely different question is why we can't (legitimately) replace batteries! Manufacturers aren't making devices this way out of a genuine concern for our health or economic well-being :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007