Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - Blurry Photos

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Really disappointed with the camera on this phone.

I purchased specifically because it had (allegedly) one of the best camera's on the market.

Every photo is blurry. If someone moves slightly, it's blurry. Forget getting a good photo of kids and pets.

I found sports mode better but now they have taken this setting off after one of the updates.

I contacted Samsung and they said use Pro mode. I don't often have time to fiddle around with settings so I can actually take a decent photo.

Any suggestions of settings or other camera apps?

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Regardless, if you don't understand the basics of photography no app will compensate for this nor indeed will any hardware unless you know how to use it.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried holding down the shutter button. It will take a series of quick photos that might help with the blur. In general though you will get motion blur when taking pics of moving objects...it's typically not the fault of the camera.

Leeb1234

Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
fragologist yes, I have tried that and have a succession of blurry shots! The sports mode was so good for this. I can't remember ever having this issue with my last phone, even in auto mode (Galaxy S7) which is why I'm perplexed!

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
My wife has a note 9.
It takes great pictures.

Have you checked to see if there is a piece of plastic over the lens.
If so.
It's super hard to see.
Take your fingernail and start at the very edge and see if you can get it started and take it off.

PSA: There's an insane amount of plastic on your Galaxy Note 9 you need to remove | Android Central
https://www.androidcentral.com/psa-theres-insane-amount-plastic-your-galaxy-note-9

Leeb1234

Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Galactic Zoo I have a basic knowledge, enough to know I don't want to be adjusting settings every-time I take my phone out to take a pic.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Galactic Zoo I have a basic knowledge, enough to know I don't want to be adjusting settings every-time I take my phone out to take a pic.

Not trying to be insulting or smart but that is not knowledge. A camera cannot defy the laws of physics. You will have blur when light is inadequate. You either need flash or let more light in by opening up the lens to let in more light but when you do that you can expect blur which is why photographers use tripods.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Motion blur comes from two sources:
- shaky hands of the photographer
- too slow of a shutter speed to freeze the action of the subject

Both problems have the same solutions -- increase the light amount in the room or increase the ISO setting in the camera to get a faster shutter speed. The common problem for most parents is that their kids are moving too fast for the poorly lighted room in the house, and yes all houses are poorly lighted.

"Sports mode" worked for you because it increased the ISO to get faster shutter speeds.

If your subjects are not moving, like landscapes, then you can use a tripod or the like to hold the camera still during the longer shutter times.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Had one on my lens..
Read something about it.
Forget what I used at the edge of the lens.
But it came off.
I was surprised.
I would of never found it.

Leeb1234

Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Hi cardboard60,

Thanks. Yep, got all the plastic! I've had the phone for some time. Was happy with it until Sports mode setting was removed.

Leeb1234

Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Galactic Zoo, regardless of my knowledge or lack there of when it comes to photography, my problem is I have never had this issue with my previous phones, all Samsung.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi cardboard60,

Thanks. Yep, got all the plastic! I've had the phone for some time. Was happy with it until Sports mode setting was removed.
My note 9 was a blurry hell too. I have 2 small kids that constantly move. My note 10 plus it's better but still when in doors, way way too many blurry pics for the kids. My pixel 3 XL did way better. Outside and in good lighting, I get much less blurry kids.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My note 9 was a blurry hell too. I have 2 small kids that constantly move. My note 10 plus it's better but still when in doors, way way too many blurry pics for the kids. My pixel 3 XL did way better. Outside and in good lighting, I get much less blurry kids.
How's the Note 10+ in comparison?