No update to android 10

allysisa

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi all I’ve not had any updates on my phone note 9 it has ui 1 updated security patch December every time I look, it says you have the latest software install x

Thanks in advance

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
They better roll it out to the S8 too. It is about time they finally kill off Apple by taking the only good thing about iOS - the long update support. know that the whole scoped storage thing will eventually come to haunt me, but I don't wanna end up like when I used KitKat till the beginning of '18 and had my Gmail broken into (not a joke) several times (the attacks suddenly stopped after I bought a new phone), likely due to the bad security flaws KitKat was known for. Ever since then...

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@milleniumdroid the issue with supporting the devices that long is getting the SoC manufacturers on board with updating the hardware support for longer. The drivers for the chip is what generally keeps the support short.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
@milleniumdroid the issue with supporting the devices that long is getting the SoC manufacturers on board with updating the hardware support for longer. The drivers for the chip is what generally keeps the support short.
Yeah I know, but Samsung should maybe consider doing crazy kludge and perfecting them just like good custom ROM devs do.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
They better roll it out to the S8 too. It is about time they finally kill off Apple by taking the only good thing about iOS - the long update support. know that the whole scoped storage thing will eventually come to haunt me, but I don't wanna end up like when I used KitKat till the beginning of '18 and had my Gmail broken into (not a joke) several times (the attacks suddenly stopped after I bought a new phone), likely due to the bad security flaws KitKat was known for. Ever since then...
There is no indication the the eight series will get Android 10.
They came with Marshmallow, got Oreo and Pie. That's two OS updates.
Am I missing something?

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Samsung already released the schedule for the 10 update. The S8 and it's brethren from 2017 aren't on the list. This list is from the Samsung Members app. I'm in Southeast Asia so the actual schedule for your country might differ.
e5f2098314a003f85b2ce952ddc8b54c.jpg

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Samsung already released the schedule for the 10 update. The S8 and it's brethren from 2017 aren't on the list. This list is from the Samsung Members app. I'm in Southeast Asia so the actual schedule for your country might differ.
e5f2098314a003f85b2ce952ddc8b54c.jpg
Well, the phone I use when visiting Europe is on the list (Galaxy A6+). But it is weird how they bother to update a phone with the puny Snapdragon 450 and leave behind the S8 with the 835...

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Dont be in a rush to get Android 10.

I'm on the beta and its not that great. Memory usage is high, there is noticeable lag and stutter, and GPS navigation is broke.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You forgot Nougat, I think that is what it shipped with.
I stand corrected. Thank you! It was late.
Well, the phone I use when visiting Europe is on the list (Galaxy A6+). But it is weird how they bother to update a phone with the puny Snapdragon 450 and leave behind the S8 with the 835...
I don't believe update eligibility has anything to do with processor. It's about which OS came on the phone. Samsung phones get 2 OS updates.

Reference is wiki:
S8 - Release date: 21 April 2017 with Android 7 / Nougat

A6+ - Release date: May 2, 2018 with Android 8 / Oreo

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I stand corrected. Thank you! It was late. I don't believe update eligibility has anything to do with processor. It's about which OS came on the phone. Samsung phones get 2 OS updates.

Reference is wiki:
S8 - Release date: 21 April 2017 with Android 7 / Nougat

A6+ - Release date: May 2, 2018 with Android 8 / Oreo
They should update as long as Qualcomm supports the SD835 IMO. Pixel 2/XL which have the 835 are on Android 10 no problem (heck, even the Pixel 1 with the 820, same chip as in Tab S3, has Android 10 officially), so obviously Qualcomm ain't the issue here. This is planned obsolescence at its finest.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
They should update as long as Qualcomm supports the SD835 IMO. Pixel 2/XL which have the 835 are on Android 10 no problem (heck, even the Pixel 1 with the 820, same chip as in Tab S3, has Android 10 officially), so obviously Qualcomm ain't the issue here. This is planned obsolescence at its finest.
There are many things that I think should happen, also. Doesn't make it so.
I didn't claim the processor couldn't handle it. In fact, I wrote that the processor wasn't the issue.
I had an OG Pixel XL and a Pixel 2XL. I didn't like either one.
Samsung is doing what they said they would do.

If you don't like Samsung products and support, don't buy them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There are many things that I think should happen, also. Doesn't make it so.
Samsung is doing what they said they would do.

If you don't like Samsung products and support, don't buy them.
One thing that surprised me was the S7 got a security update November 2019