Galaxy Note 9 SM-960F Not Updating to Android 10

iammoazzam

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
Hey all,

I bought my galaxy note 9 (international) back in October 2018. Got android 9 update as soon as I set up the device. I was in France and had been receiving software updates regularly. Then, I moved to Turkey in June 2019, received 2 or may be 3 updates there. I received the last software update in October 2019. I left Turkey in February 2020 and now I am in Belgium. I haven't received any software update after October 2019. Here is what I have tried so far:

>Manually checking for updates in the setting>software update
>Samsung smart switch which always says your software is up to date SI5(LUX)
>Contacted Samsung support from the app, they told me my phone is Singapore origin. I talked with Samsung support Singapore and they said that Samsung has released the update in Singapore long ago. Since I am out of Singapore and using other sim carrier so I will receive the update eventually (not really sure when).
>Using VPN proxy and setting it to many other countries just to check if that works.
>Factory data reset (I read somewhere it also works sometimes)
>Using my Turkish and Pakistani simcard (on international roaming) to see if that works.
I have tried all above things after clearing cache partition and clearing the data of Samsung store.

Is there anyone who can help me with this? or who has been facing the same problem?

iammoazzam

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
Sorry for making the same post twice. I posted first as a guest.

Anyhow, isn't there any other way to update my phone? or if you know the reason why it has stopped receiving updates?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for making the same post twice. I posted first as a guest.

Anyhow, isn't there any other way to update my phone? or if you know the reason why it has stopped receiving updates?
Hi, Welcome to AC

I'm not sure why you having trouble updating , but you can flash to latest version if you ever flashed before?

iammoazzam

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi, Welcome to AC

I'm not sure why you having trouble updating , but you can flash to latest version if you ever flashed before?

I haven't flashed any smartphone before. Moreover, I have read on several online platforms that installing a custom ROM is quite risky. That is why I am reluctant to install one. I just don't get it why/how I stopped receiving OTA updates.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I haven't flashed any smartphone before. Moreover, I have read on several online platforms that installing a custom ROM is quite risky. That is why I am reluctant to install one. I just don't get it why/how I stopped receiving OTA updates.
This is not installing a custom Rom, this is flashing stock Samsung firmwares as a Samsung repair center would do.

Do you have a Samsung service center by you ?

iammoazzam

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
This is not installing a custom Rom, this is flashing stock Samsung firmwares as a Samsung repair center would do.

Do you have a Samsung service center by you ?

Oh okay. So you mean its totally safe to flash the software by my own? If yes, could you please share with me how can I do that?
and I have samsung service centre (not so close though) but its closed due to corona virus.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh okay. So you mean its totally safe to flash the software by my own? If yes, could you please share with me how can I do that?
and I have samsung service centre (not so close though) but its closed due to corona virus.
I can show you little later the steps , currently at work .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is the steps :

Windows computer needed

Latest Odin can Google it and download should be 3.13.1 or 3.14.1

Download samfirm v0.4.1 tool , extract it with 7zip.

You will extract files for Odin once download with 7zip and will do same for firmware with 7zip .

There will be 4 files after you extract the firmware

BL

AP

CP

CSC

Each of those files will go in Odin when you open to the corresponding slots

BL

AP

CP

CSC USE HOME CSC FIILE TO SAVE DATA

Home data slot dont put nothing

connect your phone with cable to computer , once the files are in its slots hit start, once done you'll see pass in Odin and it will reboot

My picture shows circle on what you need to do
Put your model number,region select check for updates , then download the Rom , extract the Rom with 7zip20200425_122427.jpeg

iammoazzam

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
This is the steps :

Windows computer needed

Latest Odin can Google it and download should be 3.13.1 or 3.14.1

Download samfirm v0.4.1 tool , extract it with 7zip.

You will extract files for Odin once download with 7zip and will do same for firmware with 7zip .

There will be 4 files after you extract the firmware

BL

AP

CP

CSC

Each of those files will go in Odin when you open to the corresponding slots

BL

AP

CP

CSC USE HOME CSC FIILE TO SAVE DATA

Home data slot dont put nothing

connect your phone with cable to computer , once the files are in its slots hit start, once done you'll see pass in Odin and it will reboot

My picture shows circle on what you need to do
Put your model number,region select check for updates , then download the Rom , extract the Rom with 7zipView attachment 319693

Thanks a lot for the details. It doesn't show me the "SPR" region (see the attached picture)vdv.JPG. Can I download the firmware for another region i.e. Pakistan? or which region do you suggest? I will be using the device in Europe for may be a few more months and then I will go to Pakistan.

Moreover, after updating the software through this procedure, would I start to receive OTA updates (if there is any)? or would I have to always update through odin?
I just found this video: https://youtu.be/bnPkwICq_Bw. I will follow the same steps.
Last question, since I'll be doing it for the first time, I fear if I do something wrong. I also read somewhere that the device can brick. Could you please guide a bit about it?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the details. It doesn't show me the "SPR" region (see the attached picture)View attachment 319694. Can I download the firmware for another region i.e. Pakistan? or which region do you suggest? I will be using the device in Europe for may be a few more months and then I will go to Pakistan.

Moreover, after updating the software through this procedure, would I start to receive OTA updates (if there is any)? or would I have to always update through odin?
I just found this video: https://youtu.be/bnPkwICq_Bw. I will follow the same steps.
Last question, since I'll be doing it for the first time, I fear if I do something wrong. I also read somewhere that the device can brick. Could you please guide a bit about it?
You have to put your model and region , my picture was example

iammoazzam

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
You have to put your model and region , my picture was example

Yeah i put my model which is SM-960F and for region I don't know. That's why I asked you that does region matter? Because I am in Belgium and after a few months I will go to Pakistan. So which region should I choose and what difference does it make?
sorry to bother you but I just don't wanna make any mistake

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah i put my model which is SM-960F and for region I don't know. That's why I asked you that does region matter? Because I am in Belgium and after a few months I will go to Pakistan. So which region should I choose and what difference does it make?
sorry to bother you but I just don't wanna make any mistake
No problem

Yes the region is very important that way you can still get updates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz