Note 4 vs. Note Edge?

DecentDreamer

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I am upgrading from a Lumia 920 (ugh) on Black Friday. I'm waiting to see what deals are offered then, but I'm either getting the Note 4 or the Note Edge. Which one should I choose?

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
They have them both on demo at Best Buy. Only a select group of stores get the Edge though. I thought I would like the Edge but if I was going to get another Note, I would get the regular. Instead of having a row of home buttons on the bottom, you have them on the side. The side also serves as a contextual menu. I found that I was able to press the icons on the side too easily and wondered what kind of case it would go with as well .Overall, I was not as impressed as I thought I would.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If price is a consideration, the Edge is $100 more.

I have the Note 4 and it's great. I was considering the Note Edge when both were announced but with the lack of info on the Edge for the longest time and the higher price, I'm glad I got the Note 4. But, I'd probably be happy with both.

PepperMan98

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably going to get the Not 4, but I want to at least hold the Edge and see what I think. Cases are my biggest concern. You can flip the phone 180 if the edge is getting pressed by your thumb pad, but that could get old quickly. The only case I have seen so far is the flip case, which leaves the Edge exposed and you are able to view notifications while closed. My wife got the Note 4 last night, so this will give me a few days to play with it before the Edge. Here's to good choices by ALL of us, lol...

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I don't know this for fact but I think the Edge would be a little harder on battery. The battery in the Note 4 is a little better than the one in the edge. Just really questioning battery life of the Edge. Time will tell

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I definitely think that the Note Edge is interesting. I was wondering about the cases available for it. However, I saw some cases that eased my mind about it.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I definitely think that the Note Edge is interesting. I was wondering about the cases available for it. However, I saw some cases that eased my mind about it.

I just got a tpu case and it doesn't really cover the edge side, as you'd expect.

Nervous about dropping.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I just got a tpu case and it doesn't really cover the edge side, as you'd expect.

Nervous about dropping.
I wouldn't expect that the cases would offer much protection on that side of the device. But I was glad to see what the design of the cases would be.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, any chance you can snap a closer pic of the uncovered portion? Won't it protect that little "lip" on the right side of the edge screen? Also, where did you get it?

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
guys the cases follow the shape / contour of the body of the unit, so they dip on the right side. IMO, just use a screen protector in addition to the back case and you should be OK?

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
guys the cases follow the shape / contour of the body of the unit, so they dip on the right side. IMO, just use a screen protector in addition to the back case and you should be OK?

Would a screen protector protect that edge side against a drop?

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, any chance you can snap a closer pic of the uncovered portion? Won't it protect that little "lip" on the right side of the edge screen? Also, where did you get it?

It does protect the chrome edge on the bottom of the edge screen. I bought it on eBay

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
the job of a screen protector is to protect the glass from scratches and also drops. However, no protector can 100% guarantee that on any phone, because it depends on the nature of the drop (where, on what, from what distance and what hits the ground first).

With a back case and a screen protector, you should be OK. but if you have deeper concerns of damage, you shouldn't get the Edge and constantly worrying about breaking it.

It is an unusual phone and that's its appeal!