Any way to move the camera controls?

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been on the fence between the Edge and the Note 4, and there's one thing about the Edge that I don't think I'll be able to get past, unless there's a solution... It's nearly impossible to hold when using it as a camera (securely at least) without inadvertently touching the camera controls along the edge. :( Playing with it in the store, I found it very hard to have a secure grip on the thing when holding it sideways without accidentally hitting the shutter button.

Is there any option to just move the camera controls down to the screen and disable the edge controls?

(I would also recommend to try using this phone as a camera before buying it. It's the one big problem I've found when playing around with it, and I think it may steer me over to the Note 4.)

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been on the fence between the Edge and the Note 4, and there's one thing about the Edge that I don't think I'll be able to get past, unless there's a solution... It's nearly impossible to hold when using it as a camera (securely at least) without inadvertently touching the camera controls along the edge. :( Playing with it in the store, I found it very hard to have a secure grip on the thing when holding it sideways without accidentally hitting the shutter button.

Is there any option to just move the camera controls down to the screen and disable the edge controls?

(I would also recommend to try using this phone as a camera before buying it. It's the one big problem I've found when playing around with it, and I think it may steer me over to the Note 4.)
Sorry.. I like the camera button layout on the Edge bar. It is actually one of biggest improvements for me over my previous 3 Notes.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, but it is not necessary for you to apologize for your preference in camera buttons.

I can somewhat see how the controls would be better along the edge like that. They're easier to press, but they seem too easy to press. How do you hold the phone to avoid accidentally hitting the buttons? Do you just grip it along the silver edge of the phone that sticks out? Doing this feels really unsteady to me. I don't feel like I have a good grip on the phone this way.

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's the entire problem. When holding it in landscape mode as if it were a camera, the shutter button seems to end up right where my index finger is when holding the phone. Again, in some respects it's kind of nice compared to having it down in the middle of the screen, but it also seems very hard to get a good grip on it without accidentally hitting the shutter button.

I was just hoping there was some option to move the controls down onto the screen like a normal phone in case I would get one and find that it's too hard to use it as a camera.

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, but it is not necessary for you to apologize for your preference in camera buttons.

I can somewhat see how the controls would be better along the edge like that. They're easier to press, but they seem too easy to press. How do you hold the phone to avoid accidentally hitting the buttons? Do you just grip it along the silver edge of the phone that sticks out? Doing this feels really unsteady to me. I don't feel like I have a good grip on the phone this way.
The Note models are just not for everybody. If you have problems holding the Edge, it will probably be the same issue with the N4.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely not the size of the phone. I bought a Note 1 the day they came out and I have loved it ever since. It's the edge screen. I can't hold the phone sideways without it getting in the way of my fingers. It's too bad because I think the phone is a really neat concept, but it doesn't seem like they gave much thought to being able to actually hold it securely and take photos with it. There's nothing to hold onto along the edge of the phone except the screen itself. :-\

So, I guess the answer is that you can't revert the camera buttons back to a normal layout. That's really too bad, and I think that's going to pretty much be the tipping point for me to just get the Note 4. The screen is cool, but it just doesn't seem practical in real life situations.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely not the size of the phone. I bought a Note 1 the day they came out and I have loved it ever since. It's the edge screen. I can't hold the phone sideways without it getting in the way of my fingers. It's too bad because I think the phone is a really neat concept, but it doesn't seem like they gave much thought to being able to actually hold it securely and take photos with it. There's nothing to hold onto along the edge of the phone except the screen itself. :-\

So, I guess the answer is that you can't revert the camera buttons back to a normal layout. That's really too bad, and I think that's going to pretty much be the tipping point for me to just get the Note 4. The screen is cool, but it just doesn't seem practical in real life situations.

Goodbye.jpg

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, and by then they will have used all of the feedback from Edge owners to make the camera controls usable. ;)

No need for goodbyes blitz, I'm probably just going to go buy the note that doesn't have a bendy screen. No big deal.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and by then they will have used all of the feedback from Edge owners to make the camera controls usable. ;)

No need for goodbyes blitz, I'm probably just going to go buy the note that doesn't have a bendy screen. No big deal.

None of the Edge owners are complaining about the camera button placement so there will be no feedback. The phone is not for you, so bye bye.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

You can go into the setting and set it to take a picture by tapping the screen, and you can set the volume bar to take a picture or record a movie. Just a couple of things you can change.

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just couldn't resist.I just couldn't go the normal, boring route and get the 4. I put in my order for an Edge, and hopefully it will be here Monday.

I used another one in the store, and if you hold it by the very corners, your fingers do stay pretty well out of the way of the camera controls. As I said, I do think that in some respects it's easier to have the camera controls along the Edge, but maybe they're just a little too accessible.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
What about turning the phone upside down in landscape? It puts the camera button close to your right thumb

Brigitte Guns

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I bought a Note Edge a few weeks ago, as with a new play I tryed many things. After some time I realised that the shutter button was moved to the middle of the screen (just like my old SIII). Eversince I am looking to put it back on the edge :)
If I only knew how I did this! This way I could solve your and my problem!

neoberry99

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
The problem with the camera being on the edge was that when you get notifications it was hard for you to get that great picture

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui