So... someone got on the elevator and bumped me and my phone fell. I thought it was alright..... now I turned my phone around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THE FREAKING LENS IS CRACKED!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooooo beyond pissed off, AND COMPLETELY DEVASATED!!!! What can I do???
    Gsxr151 likes this.
    11-20-2014 03:22 PM
    Wow that is beyond my worst nightmare. Really what can you do beyond making an insurance claim?

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
    Jeniffer Davis likes this.
    11-20-2014 03:34 PM
    You could play stupid and try to pawn it off as a manufacturing defect. Hell I had a laptop screen shatter in the middle of the night with no one ever touching it. Defective screen frame put stress on the screen. They replaced it but I don't they believed me!

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
    11-20-2014 03:36 PM
    Do you have any sort of hardware protection plan through MFG / Provider?

If not you can try acquiring a warranty at Extended Warranty Insurance - Extended Warranties - Protection Plans – Electronic Insurance

It will be less expensive than buying a new one outright,, for sure.
    11-20-2014 03:36 PM
    If you didn't get a Square Trade warranty at purchase, get it now. This thing is the cost of a decent laptop and rides around in your pocket and is held in your greasy fried chicken fingers. One would be crazy not to have insurance on it.
    11-20-2014 03:48 PM
    Yes i do have insurance on it... it is with At&t ... i see there are some lens replacement kits but of course there isnt an existent one for the edge yet!
    11-20-2014 03:55 PM
    Honestly if you have the insurance, utilize it. That's what you are paying for the insurance for.
    11-20-2014 05:41 PM
    Oooo AT&T has a $199 deductible. I would go with Square Trade, $5 a month and a $79 deductible..
    11-20-2014 08:50 PM
    Poor design imo. The damn lens protrudes from the rest of the flush design back. What this means is w/o some type of case, if the phone is laid square on it's back, its resting on the camera lens which over time, can cause abrasions/scratches. You MIGHT be able to take it to a place that repairs cracked screens.
    11-21-2014 04:31 AM
    If you check out the Galaxy Note 4 forum, there are a couple of threads with people who have the cracked lens there, too.

Apparently, there are no replacement parts available yet. One person said they took theirs to a Samsung center and they replaced the lens on the spot, free of charge.

Posted via the Android Central App on my awesome Note 4
    11-21-2014 06:49 AM
    If you paid through American Express, they cover your purchases for 90 days pretty much no matter what happens to it. When I got my first GS3, I was getting my daughter redy for the pool and stupidly put my brand new phone in my short pocket. We walked into the pool and 10 mins later it hit me that my phone was in my pocket. Pulled it out and it was a goner. I knew Amex covered it but I've never made a claim before. So I called and spoke to the most polite and sympathetic rep EVER. I worked in several large call centers monitoring calls and have never experienced this type of service! Well she completely assured me that she'll take care of it and give me a refund. Didn't ask much and told me things like this happen and that's what she was here for. I felt bad but she was like...no worries! Within a day I saw the refund on my account...didn't have to send in my phone as proof. I had another upgrade available so used it to replace my GS3.

BTW, Amex covers each incident up to 50k per incident and up to 50 incidents per year. Do a google search on Amex purchase protection and just read the stories from others... I red one of a lady spilling some oily food on her new coat... I think they asked if they would cover cleaning the coat but they just refund/replaced it.
    11-21-2014 09:55 AM
    I think the issue is phones are getting thinner and thinner but cameras aren't. Even the new iPhones stick out and that was one of their arguments before saying they base their phone thickness by the thickest part of their phone but they seemed to have moved away from saying that when the 6s came out. Also with OIS, the camera is inherently bigger than a camera with out OIS because the lens needs to physically move back and forth. so really the only thing to do is beef up the camera area which would make it thicker or make the whole phone thicker.
    11-21-2014 10:11 AM
    If you purchased this phone with an Amex Card, they have purchase protection for 90 days. They will cover accidental damages. Within the first week of having my GS3 I was getting my daughter reading for the pool and put my phone into my pocket. We get in the pool and 10 mins later I realized that my phone is in my pocket so needless to say it was a goner. I called Amex not knowing what to expect and spoke to the most polite, sympathetic rep ever! She just assured me that things like this happen and that's what she was here for. After a few quick questions, she said she would take care of it and i should see a refund today. Call lasted 5 mins and she even said that I didn't need to send it in as evidence. I got my refund and had another upgrade available so used it for a replacement GS3. had my new phone later that day!

BTW. the protection covers up to $1000 per incident and up to $50k per card per year. With a Platinum, they cover up to 10k per incident and 50k per calendar year. Do a quick search on their purchase protection and see some of the reviews from people that used it.
    11-21-2014 10:20 AM
    Hey everyone! So I called AT&T regarding my bill... it was kinda high!! ($178) during that conversation I told the rep Amber G. that my back camera lens was cracked and so she assured me over and over again that I would be covered to have it fixed either through warrenty(which she said would be her 1st choice) or through the insurance (since they might have me pay a deductible of 199). I was super excited to hear this and thought JEEZ I should have called sooner!!!!!! So she provided me with the number to the "warrenty dept" turns out that she gave me the number to the insurance dept instead, so the girl at the insurance dept told me that warrenty would not cover this and blah blah blah trying to get me to follow through with submitting a claim. I on the other hand was not trying to hear that because the girl in the billing dept told me something different and why would she say that if it weren't true. So the girl at the insurance dept conference called the warrenty dept and rep (Chris W) stated it was not covered either. So I told them I was very upset and I would be contacting Amber's supervisor to file a complaint for misinforming me. SO I did just that!!!! The supervisor(Toni) herself stated it was not covered and she would have to educate Amber and have her trained on the correct information and yada da da da, and she would contact me in 48 hours with the correct information (still have not gotten a call back!). Well abt 30 mins later a wierd number is calling me and I'm thinking its the supervisor, and it turns out to be CHRIS W. from WARRENTY!!!! He stated that my presistance mad him feel bad that he could not help me, and so he researched it a little more indepth and so he found that cracked lens is covered for 1 year!!! And my new note edge is on its way in the mail!!!!!!!!!! Chris W was very polite and apologetic for the misunderstanding, he was extremly helpful!!!! I'm like super mega excited!!!!THANKS GUYS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND ADVICE!!!!!!! On the other hand Amber G was correct and the supervisor and the girl from the insurance dept. were totally wrong!!!! (which is why the supervisor probably never called me back)
    12-09-2014 08:26 AM
    Yes i do have insurance on it... it is with At&t ... so some people are telling me to say i got it in the mail like that.... but why am i complaining after 3 days though... they would never believe me!!!! i see there are some lens replacement kits but of course there isnt an existent one for the edge yet!
    hello

delete
    12-09-2014 08:59 AM
    It's hard to tell, without a case is my lens flush on whatever table I place it? My G3 seemed to have the same design and in 2+ years never was scratched so maybe there is a tiny lip to give some protection.
    12-09-2014 09:50 AM
    Hey everyone! So I called AT&T regarding my bill... it was kinda high!! ($178) during that conversation I told the rep Amber G. that my back camera lens was cracked and so she assured me over and over again that I would be covered to have it fixed either through warrenty(which she said would be her 1st choice) or through the insurance (since they might have me pay a deductible of 199). I was super excited to hear this and thought JEEZ I should have called sooner!!!!!! So she provided me with the number to the "warrenty dept" turns out that she gave me the number to the insurance dept instead, so the girl at the insurance dept told me that warrenty would not cover this and blah blah blah trying to get me to follow through with submitting a claim. I on the other hand was not trying to hear that because the girl in the billing dept told me something different and why would she say that if it weren't true. So the girl at the insurance dept conference called the warrenty dept and rep (Chris W) stated it was not covered either. So I told them I was very upset and I would be contacting Amber's supervisor to file a complaint for misinforming me. SO I did just that!!!! The supervisor(Toni) herself stated it was not covered and she would have to educate Amber and have her trained on the correct information and yada da da da, and she would contact me in 48 hours with the correct information (still have not gotten a call back!). Well abt 30 mins later a wierd number is calling me and I'm thinking its the supervisor, and it turns out to be CHRIS W. from WARRENTY!!!! He stated that my presistance mad him feel bad that he could not help me, and so he researched it a little more indepth and so he found that cracked lens is covered for 1 year!!! And my new note edge is on its way in the mail!!!!!!!!!! Chris W was very polite and apologetic for the misunderstanding, he was extremly helpful!!!! I'm like super mega excited!!!!THANKS GUYS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND ADVICE!!!!!!! On the other hand Amber G was correct and the supervisor and the girl from the insurance dept. were totally wrong!!!! (which is why the supervisor probably never called me back)
    Listen to me very carefully. GET A CASE for this phone. I HIGHLY recommend the Urban Armor Gear case which not only protects the phone Otterbox style BUT the case protrudes beyond the lens to the point that if you do drop it, the lens will not come in contact with whatever you drop it on. GET A CASE. UAG case is 39.99

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-09-2014 03:27 PM
    Thanks to Jennifer, I refused to take NO for an answer and 1.5 hours later I got the ATT rep to admit the rear camera lens that cracked after a fall was covered under the 1year warranty. After talking to a supervisor, the warranty rep who was very nice bu misinformed told me my phone will be replaced!
    05-17-2015 12:59 PM