Edge orientation?

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
LOL. Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

You too DAS and for the record, I do think they need to change the orientation of the panel around but I believe when the night clock comes on, it is. Don't quite recall.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You too DAS and for the record, I do think they need to change the orientation of the panel around but I believe when the night clock comes on, it is. Don't quite recall.

Yes. It works perfectly in Night Mode, but otherwise you have to do a quick turn with the phone to get the orientation to work as it should otherwise. It's not a deal breaker in anyway, and hopefully they will address it as a "bug fix" in a future update, but for now 21st Now has helped me to figure out how to make it work.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Yes. It works perfectly in Night Mode, but otherwise you have to do a quick turn with the phone to get the orientation to work as it should otherwise. It's not a deal breaker in anyway, and hopefully they will address it as a "bug fix" in a future update, but for now 21st Now has helped me to figure out how to make it work.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Now you would think that those testing it might have looked at it and said to themselves, "that should go the other way". Guess not. :-\

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Now you would think that those testing it might have looked at it and said to themselves, "that should go the other way". Guess not. :-\

I think that Samsung decided to have the sidebar scrolling in a way that could be read while a person is actively using the phone. They didn't think that people would want to run the battery down by sitting there watching stock quotes all day (as I do).

The issue here is that the main screen and the edge screen are all one screen with two different displays. If they had set up the main screen and the edge screen as two different screens, the orientation issue wouldn't be a big deal, as we could set the edge screen to rotate 180 degrees and leave the main screen in the upright position or even lock it. I prefer to lock my phone's display to portrait for normal use but can't if I want the edge screen to rotate when I close the cover.

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
When I swipe the edge with the screen turned off, it turns on the main screen. Occasionally, it'll just light up the edge screen but if I move the phone in any direction so much as a millimeter, it turns the main screen on. I'd like to see the clock, etc on the edge all by itself. I'm not worried about draining the battery. And, no matter what I do, I can't get the edge screen to rotate (other than the night clock).

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
When I swipe the edge with the screen turned off, it turns on the main screen. Occasionally, it'll just light up the edge screen but if I move the phone in any direction so much as a millimeter, it turns the main screen on. I'd like to see the clock, etc on the edge all by itself. I'm not worried about draining the battery. And, no matter what I do, I can't get the edge screen to rotate (other than the night clock).

You have make sure the devices main screen rotation is activated, along with 180° box checked under managed panels.

Move to a panel like the news feed and then turn the phone upside down so that Samsung is at the bottom and then turn it back again. You will see the entire display rotate, and your Edge panel will be in desired orientation.

I will try to post a video if this app will allow it.

Posted via the Android Central App

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

If you are trying to just wake up the edge screen, are you swiping left then right on the edge screen only? The edge screen needs to be facing you for this command. Don't drag your finger across the entire length of the edge screen, just over the middle section. It wakes up in about 1-2 seconds.

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm doing all that and finally got the edge screen to rotate (!) it keeps waking the entire phone up. Not trying to do that. Is there a sensitivity adjustment I can change? It won't wake up just moving the phone around unless the edge screen is lit.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm doing all that and finally got the edge screen to rotate (!) it keeps waking the entire phone up. Not trying to do that. Is there a sensitivity adjustment I can change? It won't wake up just moving the phone around unless the edge screen is lit.

You will probably have to wake the phone up to get the edge screen to rotate unless you use your phone upside down on a regular basis. Did you try to wake up the edge screen the way that I mentioned in my previous post (#30)?

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
You will probably have to wake the phone up to get the edge screen to rotate unless you use your phone upside down on a regular basis. Did you try to wake up the edge screen the way that I mentioned in my previous post (#30)?

Yup. All it does is wake up the entire phone. If the night screen is set to "ON", it'll just activate that but you can only set the night screen to come on for a total of 12 hours, not 24. (I have it come on for the 12 hours I might be sleeping since I use the phone as an alarm clock.) I'm not going to go into the settings and change the on/off times of the night screen every day.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup. All it does is wake up the entire phone. If the night screen is set to "ON", it'll just activate that but you can only set the night screen to come on for a total of 12 hours, not 24. (I have it come on for the 12 hours I might be sleeping since I use the phone as an alarm clock.) I'm not going to go into the settings and change the on/off times of the night screen every day.

I have my night screen set to "off". However, when I swipe left then right on the edge screen, I get a clock, scrolling stock quotes and scrolling headlines on the edge screen. The main screen stays dark.

I'll try to do a video of this tomorrow at work so we can see if we are talking about the same thing.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have my night screen set to "off". However, when I swipe left then right on the edge screen, I get a clock, scrolling stock quotes and scrolling headlines on the edge screen. The main screen stays dark.

I'll try to do a video of this tomorrow at work so we can see if we are talking about the same thing.

I have my night mode set to 10pm - 7am (probably TMI). However, if I swipe left to right at anytime the scrolling headlines begin, and my main screen stays dark.

Posted via Android Central App

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Problem solved. Turns out it was a conflict with an app. Disabled the app and it works fine.

Any way to control the content of this? I just want to see the time and date. When it first comes on, it shows: temp/brief weather description (i.e. "some clouds")...time...date then, as it starts to scroll, it shows the Accuweather icon with the same brief weather description (I already saw it...I don't need to see it again :) ) followed by the Lookout icon and the last Lookout process (i.e. "scan finished: blahblahblah app is safe"). I'm good with the temp, time and date. I don't need the rest.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Problem solved. Turns out it was a conflict with an app. Disabled the app and it works fine.

Any way to control the content of this? I just want to see the time and date. When it first comes on, it shows: temp/brief weather description (i.e. "some clouds")...time...date then, as it starts to scroll, it shows the Accuweather icon with the same brief weather description (I already saw it...I don't need to see it again :) ) followed by the Lookout icon and the last Lookout process (i.e. "scan finished: blahblahblah app is safe"). I'm good with the temp, time and date. I don't need the rest.

The contents are reflective of the panels you've selected in settings. In order to see less info you'd have to select less panels.

Posted via Android Central App

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
The contents are reflective of the panels you've selected in settings. In order to see less info you'd have to select less panels.

I only have 2 panels selected and neither of them have Lookout checked. I can get rid of the weather (but put it back). I'd still like to get rid of Lookout but not if it means disabling the app.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
You have make sure the devices main screen rotation is activated, along with 180° box checked under managed panels.

Move to a panel like the news feed and then turn the phone upside down so that Samsung is at the bottom and then turn it back again. You will see the entire display rotate, and your Edge panel will be in desired orientation.

I will try to post a video if this app will allow it.

Posted via the Android Central App

I still don't have this. Must be the Masscons!

If I check the 180 box in manage panels, have rotation on. All wedge messages and notification, show upside down with phone flat.

if I uncheck the 180 box everything comes in right side up accept text message notifications which show upside down with the phone laying flat and the wedge pointed toward me. Is this what you get or do your text message notifications also come in right side up.

It would be a plus to read text messages easily when the phone is laid down flat, wedge toward me.

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Put the phone to sleep then swipe left/right on the edge screen to turn it on (just the edge screen). If it's upside down, tilt the phone so the "top" is now the "bottom" then level it back out. The edge screen should flip over.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey