typing issues

noteiii007

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have issues while typing, the edge screen pops open and messes with your typing? How do you turn off the edge notification from doing this?

Also compared to note 4 my typing ses to be slower speed with edge such as the processor is slower..

Posted via the Android Central App

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the Edge and my wife has the 4. I have never had the edge screen pop out. Not even sure how that would happen! I don't see much difference in typing on the Edge vs Note 4 speed wise.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I was looking for a thread on this before I made one myself and here it is.

What happens is when typing something and the notification bar pops up it covers some of the right letters on the keyboard and then when you end up tapping the notification bar just trying to type it ends up switching to that app.

As you can see in this picture the notification bar is covering part of the keyboard. Had I typed a letter P in this example, it would have switched me to the screenshot.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417482039332.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417482039332.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 35

noteiii007

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I was looking for a thread on this before I made one myself and here it is.

What happens is when typing something and the notification bar pops up it covers some of the right letters on the keyboard and then when you end up tapping the notification bar just trying to type it ends up switching to that app.

As you can see in this picture the notification bar is covering part of the keyboard. Had I typed a letter P in this example, it would have switched me to the screenshot.

Exactly!

Posted via the Android Central App

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Somewhat surprised no one else is chiming in on this. It seems like something that should be fixed because it is somewhat annoying.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you receive a notification while texting the notification will flash on the edge panel, and then disappear. In the picture above the user is using Swiftkey keyboard, and it takes up more room on the screen than the Samsung keyboard. So when he receives a notification it will overlap the keyboard for less than a second. I use the Swiftkey keyboard, and I don't see it as an issue. If you do not want the notification to overlap the keyboard then, you will have to switch to the Samsung keyboard or a keyboard that takes up less space. If it still bothers to the to point of aggravation, then you should get another phone.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps SwiftKey will release an update to allow the resize function to help with the Edge. But I also think Samsung should allow the user to choose the top notification bar for a notification panel and /or not let the notifications on the edge screen to creep in on the right. There's enough room on it to not have to do that and still show the notification.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps SwiftKey will release an update to allow the resize function to help with the Edge. But I also think Samsung should allow the user to choose the top notification bar for a notification panel and /or not let the notifications on the edge screen to creep in on the right. There's enough room on it to not have to do that and still show the notification.

I doubt that Swiftkey is going to update their app to support a limited edition phone. As far as I can see this is not a Samsung issue. The purpose of the Edge panel is to have the notifications, apps, camera controls, music controls and the night clock display on the Edge panel.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that Swiftkey is going to update their app to support a limited edition phone. As far as I can see this is not a Samsung issue. The purpose of the Edge panel is to have the notifications, apps, camera controls, music controls and the night clock display on the Edge panel.
It is a Samsung issue if the notification bar creeps into the screen area that I am using. The top notification panel never did that.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It is a Samsung issue if the notification bar creeps into the screen area that I am using. The top notification panel never did that.

When you tap the screen, the edge panel hides away the way Samsung designed it to be. If you don't like the way the phone functions, then return it and get something else.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
When you tap the screen, the edge panel hides away the way Samsung designed it to be. If you don't like the way the phone functions, then return it and get something else.
There will be a fix. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this annoying. This is my phone. It should do what I want. One way or another we will get there. We are the pioneers. I'm a long time palm webOS loyalist and I know very well what it is like to have a phone that has things that need to be worked out. I don't just give up and get a different device. I'm pretty sure that being part of this forum, all of us for the most part want to see our favorite mobile OS and the devices they run on developed to their full useful potential.

P.S. Tapping the screen does not make a notification go away. You have to either tap on the X on the bottom or wait for it to go away.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
So I played around with my SwiftKey settings and ended up switching to the compact keyboard resized to its largest size and placed it on the left side of the screen to avoid tapping on notifications as I type. Seems to work just fine now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417703131570.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417703131570.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 16

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Why when someone points out a problem with this phone do people say take it back and get another phone? Feedback good and bad from itts extremely small user base will help improve things.

I would LOVE and option to have selected notifications to appear at the top like a normal phone and mostly use the wedge for specialized applications.

I am sure if the phone becomes more popular and rootable custom ROMs giving more control will be available.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Why when someone points out a problem with this phone do people say take it back and get another phone? Feedback good and bad from itts extremely small user base will help improve things.

I would LOVE and option to have selected notifications to appear at the top like a normal phone and mostly use the wedge for specialized applications.

I am sure if the phone becomes more popular and rootable custom ROMs giving more control will be available.

I agree with you 100%.

Without a doubt Samsung reps monitor this, and other Note Edge forums to discover what people like or dislike about the phone. I believe they use this information to improve the user experience. It's from comments, good and bad, they determine whether to push an update for "bug fixes" or make improvements and modifications for the second generation.

The Note Edge is an amazing phone and I believe, based on early feedback and excitement about the phone, Samsung already knows they have a winner on their hands. But they also know it needs a few tweeks here and there. Constructive, not combative or nit-picky, observations about what needs to be corrected are welcomed because that will only make the device better and better.

Posted via Android Central App