How is it that nobody is complaining about intrusive notifications?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one who is bothered by the notifications on the edge screen coming in while you are using the edge screen for something else and then launching that app? So annoying!

No I am not returning my phone and getting something else. I just want to be able to do what I was doing without accidentally ending up launching an app.

This can easily be fixed. I hope that perhaps we can eventually choose notifications to come back in at the top or at least disable the launching of an app when you tap on a notification that comes in on the edge screen.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I see this too, can be a pain, but I haven't found a work-around yet.

Sent from my Samsung Note Edge using Tapatalk

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one who is bothered by the notifications on the edge screen coming in while you are using the edge screen for something else and then launching that app? So annoying!

No I am not returning my phone and getting something else. I just want to be able to do what I was doing without accidentally ending up launching an app.

This can easily be fixed. I hope that perhaps we can eventually choose notifications to come back in at the top or at least disable the launching of an app when you tap on a notification that comes in on the edge screen.

Can you post a video of this annoyance?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure I understand the complaint or in my case it happens so infrequent that I hadn't noticed it yet? There was a request to post a video and that would be helpful.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
If you play games on the notification wedge, it makes sense that notifications get displayed there. Their is a giant screen where games can be played.

Last edited:

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
What kind of answer is that? No excuse. The same thing happens no matter what you are using the edge screen for. If I just want to launch an app from the edge screen a notification will intrude in the same way.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't use my phone to play games, and it is not an issue for me. From the video, you posted the notification came in, and you hit the notification on purpose, but could have waited for it to pass, and then continued on with the game. You want Samsung to turn off the notifications when you are playing a game on the edge panel, but one of the main features of the phone is getting notification on the edge panel. I don't know what else to tell you, but if it bothers you so much then maybe the phone is not for you.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't use my phone to play games, and it is not an issue for me. From the video, you posted the notification came in, and you hit the notification on purpose, but could have waited for it to pass, and then continued on with the game. You want Samsung to turn off the notifications when you are playing a game on the edge panel, but one of the main features of the phone is getting notification on the edge panel. I don't know what else to tell you, but if it bothers you so much then maybe the phone is not for you.
It's not about using the phone to play games. I don't play many games either . I hit the notification the second time on purpose for demonstration only. You have no way of telling when a notification will come in so sooner or later you are going to be using the edge screen for some productive purpose and end up launching an app you had no intention of launching.

Hey I have an idea. How about users get to choose if notifications come in at the top? That way those who want to turn their heads sideways and launch apps unintentionally can still have it that way.

If I wanted a phone that I had to adjust the way I used it to suit an inflexible interface, I would have gotten an iPhone.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trying to rant. My intention is to give feedback to contribute to making this awesome device as good as it can be for a broad range of users. Can we not take an honest look at this phone and see where improvements can be made?

I mentioned the keyboard at some other time with the notifications intruding while I type the letter P and the answer I got from someone was that I shouldn't use SwiftKey and should use the stock keyboard. Seriously?

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's not about using the phone to play games. I don't play many games either . I hit the notification the second time on purpose for demonstration only. You have no way of telling when a notification will come in so sooner or later you are going to be using the edge screen for some productive purpose and end up launching an app you had no intention of launching.

Hey I have an idea. How about users get to choose if notifications come in at the top? That way those who want to turn their heads sideways and launch apps unintentionally can still have it that way.

If I wanted a phone that I had to adjust the way I used it to suit an inflexible interface, I would have gotten an iPhone.

If you are using the main screen how is the notification coming from the edge panel going to stop you from doing what you are doing on screen? When using the main screen and you get a notification it will display on the edge panel then disappear. I prefer when I am using the main screen, and I get a phone call, and it displays on the edge panel and not pop up on the main screen. You should see if the developers on the XDA forum can do what you are looking for.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
If you are using the main screen how is the notification coming from the edge panel going to stop you from doing what you are doing on screen? When using the main screen and you get a notification it will display on the edge panel then disappear. I prefer when I am using the main screen, and I get a phone call, and it displays on the edge panel and not pop up on the main screen. You should see if the developers on the XDA forum can do what you are looking for.
Do you not ever touch the edge screen for any purpose at all?

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned the keyboard at some other time with the notifications intruding while I type the letter P and the answer I got from someone was that I shouldn't use SwiftKey and should use the stock keyboard. Seriously?

That was a Swiftkey issue and some posted that you can adjust the size of the Swiftkey keyboard to fit the screen like the Samsung keyboard.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
No, I paid $980 for the phone and never use the edge panel.:confused:
I rest my case. If you ever have to touch the edge screen for any reason at all, eventually a notification will come in and you will accidentally tap on it.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I rest my case. If you ever have to touch the edge screen for any reason at all, eventually a notification will come in and you will accidentally tap on it.

I was joking, and I never had any of the issues you are describing.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

This would be a great setting. I am hoping the ATT version becomes rootable one day so the user community can add features such as this.

joganjani

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I know exactly what you are saying. I do not play many games on Edge. However, when I'm typing on a keyboard the Edge is narrowed when notification comes Edge is broadened and it intervenes with the typing and I've hit notification instead of typing p, l, , . etc. There need an update to control showing notification in main screen or controlling it somehow.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey EINSTEIN'S? The panel supplements the notifications at the top of the phone. The purpose of the Edge screen is to put all your apps vertically on a panel to access without having your home screen cluttered. I personally dont have that problem because my panel is simply used to access my apps. No games. If it's a problem, simply trade it in for a NOTE 4 problem solved.

Posted via the Android Central App