Hi, I am happy with the Note Edge, except the battery life is causing me some issues. What is your usage like?

For example, when I leave the phone by itself overnight, I would expect maybe a 1% to 1.5% battery drain per hour. I am getting closer to 6-7% battery drain. When i check GSAM it tells me it is the Android System, but not sure what process it would be.

Any thoughts on this?
    01-08-2015 03:00 AM
    After a full day at work, I normally come home with about 52%. Then I'll leave the phone off the charger till the next day. Soooo about 30% before it hits the charger?

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...
    01-08-2015 02:53 PM
    Well, this is about the most detailed info I can give. I used the phone pretty heavily at work and charged it a little bit after work before I went with a walk with the S Health thing running (hence why location is activated towards the end.)

So, it's now at 39% after a whole day of fairly heavy use and a little charging. It would probably be more like 15-20% if I hadn't charged at all.

Battery drain-screenshot_2015-01-08-19-50-16.jpg
    01-08-2015 06:55 PM
    I do play game quite frequently on the phone and I get texts/whatsapp a lot during work, it probably contributes too. About 3 hours, I would have reached half the battery life. But as the edge's charger charges really quick, I usually do not leave it to charge overnight unless it's flat when i go to sleep or something.
    01-08-2015 10:07 PM
    Thanks for the responses. I understand that when using it for games you can easily reduce battery 20%/hour... What I was wondering about was just leaving it by itself overnight.. I also have a Lenovo A880 and that is a 1% drain when not doing anything. At work I may get emails and whatsapp and news feeds etc.. and that probably drains at between 8-10% per hour.

Would you think it is the night clock? I set mine to come on from midnight to 8am.
    01-09-2015 12:27 AM
    Does using more panels use more battery?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-09-2015 08:36 AM
    I leave my phone off the charger every night while I'm sleep. Most I have seen while the phone is in standby is 2-4% max. And we are talking 8-10 hours off the charger.

01-09-2015 04:44 PM
    I think I found the solution.. I wiped the cache partition, and that seems to have fixed my battery drain issue:

Turn off phone
    Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys
    Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.
    As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.
    Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.
    Press the Power button to select it.
    Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.
    Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.
    Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.
    Wait for your phone to reboot.

Will be monitoring it for the next few days, but it seems to be between 2-4% now on idle.
    01-14-2015 01:57 AM
    I think I found the solution.. I wiped the cache partition, and that seems to have fixed my battery drain issue:

Turn off phone
    Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.

Will be monitoring it for the next few days, but it seems to be between 2-4% now on idle.
    I've been unhappy with the standby drain myself. The two weeks I had the Note 4 spoiled me. I would lose 4% overnight. I've been losing 15% on the Edge. Would you report back in a few days? I didn't use the night clock last night and that saved me 6% from previous overnight drains.
    01-14-2015 04:41 AM

Turn off phone

Jesus christ. Seems like instructions on building a bunker rather than simpmy clearing the cache. Any reason it's such a tedious and hidden process?

01-14-2015 07:24 AM

Turn off phone

Thanks I will try this, I lost about 12 percent battery on standby last night in 6 hours. It seems some things are waking my phone periodically

01-14-2015 12:41 PM
    I only lost double digits in battery life the first night I had the phone...

I have My Profiles app that I have used since my Note 2 and have a "Sleep" profile setting Mon-Fri that kicks in. The only thing on is wifi, yes I even turn mobile data is cut off but if I get a call it comes through. (I have no house phone so I need my phone to ring in case of an emergency) Everything else is on silent and no syncs of any kind are to take place. I am in the single digits for battery drain overnight. At my wake up time when my alarm goes off my phone switches to home setting and alerts start coming in...
    01-14-2015 01:24 PM
    I found some things in the advanced settings of my WiFi that were waking my phone even when I wasn't using my WiFi. My stats were showing that WiFi was always on. Once i unchecked a few things, it seems my battery is better and my phone is not waking so much while in standby.

01-15-2015 11:19 AM
    I found some things in the advanced settings of my WiFi that were waking my phone even when I wasn't using my WiFi. My stats were showing that WiFi was always on. Once i unchecked a few things, it seems my battery is better and my phone is not waking so much while in standby.

It looks like my WiFi may be my culprit as well. Do you remember what you unchecked?
    01-15-2015 12:07 PM
    It looks like my WiFi may be my culprit as well. Do you remember what you unchecked?
    I changed the "keep WiFi on during sleep" to never and unchecked the two following options. One was about always scanning and the other for switching between WiFi and wireless networks

01-15-2015 01:10 PM
    Since those changes I've had a marked improvement in battery life!

rabernet likes this.
    01-15-2015 01:11 PM
    I've been having battery drain issues, by the time I get to work im usually around 96%, and its only a 20 minute drive.
    By lunch time im usually close to 50-60% and unless I charge it during lunch, its dead by the time my 12-13hr day is over.

I just changed those wifi settings so hopefully I will see a change today.
    01-16-2015 07:12 AM
    I've been having battery drain issues, by the time I get to work im usually around 96%, and its only a 20 minute drive.
    By lunch time im usually close to 50-60% and unless I charge it during lunch, its dead by the time my 12-13hr day is over.

I just changed those wifi settings so hopefully I will see a change today.
    Unfortunately - they didn't help me - but I do think that my issue is with the radios and keeping the phone awake with WiFi.

I am probably going to do a Factory restore this evening (I only got the phone last Saturday, so it's not a huge loss, just a pain to re-set everything up again), and see if that helps my battery life any.

I wasn't an early adopter of the N4, but I've read that the battery life wasn't that great when it first came out, and it took a firmware update that dramatically improved the battery (which was an amazing battery, btw, just over the two weeks I had it - it set very high expectations for me for the Edge).

I expect when I look at my battery useage for Awake and Screen on to be almost mirrors of each other. Unfortunately, Awake is more active than Screen On on my Edge, where they were almost identical mirrors on the N4. And Wifi is chewing up a lot of battery as well.
    01-16-2015 07:26 AM
    Just to report back. The cache wipe worked for a day or so, but then something called "Android Core Apps" started giving issues. Got frustrated and did a factory reset of the device. Seems a little better, on idle it is draining 3-4% an hour. I think that is probably the best I can get.
    01-18-2015 08:18 PM
    Reporting back - it didnt work.
    Battery drain is still high, been at work for just over an hour now and with only uploading a screen shot using the AC app ive already seen a 10% drop.
    01-22-2015 06:14 AM