Something to check if adaptive fast charging is not working

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I was just having trouble getting my Edge to charge in the fast charging mode. It would charge, just wouldn't use the fast charging mode even though I was using the official charger and had the setting turned on.

I noticed something kind of interesting and possibly easy to miss... If the USB cable becomes partially pulled out of the charger, there seems to be a point where the phone will still charge, but it won't recognize the charger as being a fast charger (so it does not take advantage of it.)

My cable had started to pull out of the charger, which caused this to happen. Sure enough, when I made sure it was fully in the charger, it recognized it as a fast charger. I think the charger probably uses the center USB pins to communicate to the phone that it's a fast charger, and since those are a little shorter than the outer pins, having the USB not fully seated in the charger can allow this to happen.

Anyway, just something to watch for.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the charger probably uses the center USB pins to communicate to the phone that it's a fast charger
They all do that - fast charger, AC vs. USB, OTG (pin 4 [ID] connected to pin 5 [power -]), Samsung uses a resistor between 4 and 5 to bring a hard-bricked phone to download mode and, if the cable isn't doing anything special, pins 2 and 3 are the data pins.

BTW, all the pins are supposed to be the same length, but the tighter the manufacturing tolerance (of anything), the more the cost. To make certain that all microUSB connector pins were precisely the same length would probably put the connectors in the $10 range, rather than the 10 to 50 cent range they're in now.

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As I said, I'm not talking about the micro USB that goes into the phone, I'm taking about the USB plug in the charger. And no, the pins are most definitely not the same length on this end of the USB cable, and it's not just due to manufacturing tolerances. Every "male A" USB connector I've seen has shorter pins in the middle.

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone find any Dual Usb Charger

which would Fast charge our phone 50% in 30mins
like we do with the adapter that comes with the phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc