Before I activate my new Edge...

stymerogies

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone. My new Edge was delivered today. It's been sitting out in the freezing cold all day, so I figured I'd come here and ask if there is anything I should do to/with my old Note 2 before I activate the Edge.

I'm pretty much only asking because my wife upgraded from an iPhone to the Note 4 last month and she had a ton of call/text problems. I realize her problems were probably just because it was a switch from Apple to droid, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks for any help/tips!

Stym

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) If you haven't already brought it inside, do it slowly. First an enclosed porch, then a vestibule, then a cold room, then a warmer room. A few hours in each. You want the moisture in the air in the warmer environment to condense slower than it's evaporating, otherwise you have water inside the phone.

2) Make sure all your contacts on the Note 2 are Google contacts. (If not, show the Phone and Device contacts, move them to the SIM, then move them from the SIM to the Google account. Now make sure you have Contacts sync turned on and sync the contacts.

3) Back up all your apps and data (Helium will do that). If you moved any apps to the SD card, move them back to the phone first. (They have to moved on th phone they're being used on and to the card they're being used from. You can't copy the card, and you can't back up the app and restore it if it's on the card.)

4) Back up your texts - SMS Backup & Restore will do it.

5) Copy all the backup folders (Helium's is named carbon, the rest are evident) to your PC. Copy all your music, pictures, videos, etc. to the PC.

Activate the Edge, then do everything in reverse, to get everything back. (Syncing the contacts should happen pretty soon after you enter the Google account (not the gmail account - that's for email, not for the phone.) If you had apps backed up on the Note, some of them nay show up on the Edge. Helium will still restore their data. (I prefer using App Backup & Restore to back up the apps themselves - first to keep the functions of apps and data separate, second because AB&R saves apps as apk files, which can be installed by just finding them and pressing them - you don't have to install AB&R first [although it's easier if you do - find it, press it and it's installed. Then you can install any or all of the backed up apps [from the Archived tab].)

stymerogies

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks much for all that info. Very cool. Just got home from finding a case. Activation will have to wait till tomorrow.

After I activate the Edge, what must I do to the old Note 2 before I pass it on to someone else to ensure that all my data is 100% gone? Do I keep the SIM card and the new owner buys his own?

Thanks again!

Stym

Stigasteve23

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks much for all that info. Very cool. Just got home from finding a case. Activation will have to wait till tomorrow.

After I activate the Edge, what must I do to the old Note 2 before I pass it on to someone else to ensure that all my data is 100% gone? Do I keep the SIM card and the new owner buys his own?

Thanks again!

Stym

To ensure all your data is gone, do a factory reset. Also make sure to backup all your pictures to a pc. I would not give the SIM card with the device. Keep it or throw it away once your new one is functioning in the edge. Enjoy your new phone!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The SIM card is your information. (SIM = Subscriber Identity Module.) It's what links the phone it's in to your phone number and your account. Since both phones use a microSIM, you can just use the old SIM in the new phone. You don't even have to ask the carrier to do an equipment swap, unless you have insurance and want it to cover the new phone.

As far as wiping your personal data from the phone, a factory reset will keep it from most prying eyes, but it's still on the phone. If it were mine, I'd flash the stock ROM to it. (The end result is a new-out-of-the-box phone. the new user will have to enter his Google account, name, all the startup stuff. And flashing the ROM pretty much wipes everything but the system cache partition [which I'd clear from Settings - in the Storage page]).

stymerogies

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Rukbat,
Thanks for being so helpful.

I don't know anything about activating my phone. My wife has always handled that. So while waiting for her help, I decided to put the Note 2 SIM card in my Edge. I powered up my new phone not expecting the start up screen that showed up. I picked the option that said it would ask me in an hour to set up again. I'm sure everything will work out. I don't have insurance, so it doesn't matter to me if I use the old SIM card.

I will google flashing the rom. That sounds exactly like what I want.

Thanks again