Galaxy Note Edge is now 100% Unique & will likely remain so

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Now that we know that Samsung is not repeating the Edge panel on their upcoming S6, it's safe to assume that the Edge will either remain an amazing experiment that will not be repeated, or it will remain a variation of the Note series which will get updated once a year around the holidays.

Regardless, I wished for a unique phone and I got it.

Also, unlike most of you I am not keen on keep adding Edge panel apps. I only use about 5 and I haven't found a app that I think is worth adding to my Edge panel.

We are now part of one of the smallest groups of elite phone owners in the world! :)

CRO_Electronics_Samsung_Edge_Dramatic_Curve_09-14.png

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Funny I was just about to post the same thing until I saw your thread.. after reading this article I also learned that it won't have an interchangeable battery nor the ability to insert an SD card. Quite dissapointing.

Samsung Galaxy S6: Cool Curves, Lightning-Fast Camera - Forbes

They are going the Apple route for the S series and I don't blame them. It's clear that the general public (not tech savvy people) do not care about removable batteries nor about SD cards. In fact the iPhone 6 is phenomenally popular, it's off the charts a successful device. So, I get what Samsung is doing with the S series. As these devices evolve they become more and more simple and basically sealed. You don't need a second battery anymore you can just buy a juice pack. As for SD, they new S6 can come with 128gig internal storage (and you also have cloud) . I love to see the S6 (both versions) topple the new iPhones. I think they will.

And again, I love that our Note Edge phones are now 100% unique. I wonder for Note Edge 2, if Samsung going to just create a curved screen with no edge panel (like S6 Edge), or create a double edge panel, with the left edge curved and the right edge the Edge panel, or just discontinue the model. :)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm good with what the Note Edge does right now. I like what emails or texts just came in and seeing if someone is saying something in a chat that I want to respond to. All that shows on the edge panel while I have an app open without having to check the actual app to see what just came in. That is what makes the edge so good as all of us know who own one.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
What will the Note Edge 2 look like? Or what is its future?
I think Samsung will go with 5.9" for the Note 5 series.

The following are the 5 possible fates for Note Edge 2:
1) May become double curved, but with one sided Edge Panel only.
2) May become double curved, but with one sided Edge Panel only, but that side will be switchable between right and left.
3) May become double curved, with no Edge Panels, like the S6 Edge.
4) May continue as a single sided Edge Panel, like now.
5) Maybe discontinued.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. However, they may do a double curve with no edge panel (3), which basically would mean a discontinuation. But I believe they'll go with my option 2.

If the S6 Edge proves to be hugely popular then they'll be making curved screens all over the place. Would be interesting if they dropped standard version of S and Note and just do curve versions in the future.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My Note Edge is my current flagship device. The Edge panel is definitely unique and I like getting notifications on the panel. I am disappointed to see they're not adding Edge panels to the S6 Edge but I understand the decision too. I hope this is not the last Note Edge we see.

📱6+🐜

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Me neither. I want a Note Edge real bad but not enough to go black. I guess I should be happy I'm not spending the money.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
What exactly is the benefit to #2? Interesting thought that the edge panel can be transferred to either side for left or right handers. But wouldn't the screen need to be larger to accomodate the double edge?

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is the benefit to #2? Interesting thought that the edge panel can be transferred to either side for left or right handers. But wouldn't the screen need to be larger to accomodate the double edge?

1) I am guessing that the Note series will get bigger.
2) One of the caveat that people have with the Note Edge is its right handed only operation. (yes you can flip the phone, but it's not the same)
3) I have laid out the 5 options for the future of Note Edge and betting that option 2 maybe the most realistic.

We have to wait until Sept to find out which of the 5 ways they'll go with.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
You ARE all aware that AT&T is in fact going to sell an S6 AND an S6 Edge, aren't you? It's already on their web site. So much for being unique.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You ARE all aware that AT&T is in fact going to sell an S6 AND an S6 Edge, aren't you? It's already on their web site. So much for being unique.

The Note Edge and S6 Edge are still two different devices. The S6 Edge does have the edge panel apps and notifications. On the S6, the curved glass edges are just that, curved glass edges that I think are just there for looks and really add nothing extra to the phones performance.

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
What will the Note Edge 2 look like? Or what is its future?
I think Samsung will go with 5.9" for the Note 5 series.

The following are the 5 possible fates for Note Edge 2:
1) May become double curved, but with one sided Edge Panel only.
2) May become double curved, but with one sided Edge Panel only, but that side will be switchable between right and left.
3) May become double curved, with no Edge Panels, like the S6 Edge.
4) May continue as a single sided Edge Panel, like now.
5) Maybe discontinued.

6) possibly (not likely) have two "Edge Screens" that can be customized for either side for specific uses.
7) wasn't there rumors of a triple edge screen? Don't think it'd be useful but who knows it's Samsung

Just other possibilities :)

Posted via the Android Central App

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
6) possibly (not likely) have two "Edge Screens" that can be customized for either side for specific uses.
7) wasn't there rumors of a triple edge screen? Don't think it'd be useful but who knows it's Samsung

Just other possibilities :)

I kinda want an option on my edge to use the s6 style edge screen function or the note edge screen function.. Do you think the functionality of the s6 edge will come to the note edge in one way or another? Or will they keep it the same and have two separate, unique devices that share the same suffix?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I kinda want an option on my edge to use the s6 style edge screen function or the note edge screen function.. Do you think the functionality of the s6 edge will come to the note edge in one way or another? Or will they keep it the same and have two separate, unique devices that share the same suffix?

THAT is an excellent question IMO.

from the Note Edge📱📏