08-03-2015 06:49 AM
31 12
tools
    I will be do an upgrade soon and looking forward to the Note 5 but I have always been curious about the Edge. Are there enough added features to warrant spending another $100?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"
    05-07-2015 08:43 PM
    Honestly that depends on how you place the value. I like the design it adds functionality, apps, etc, but "IS" it worth it, in my opinion, maybe and probably not. But that is based on my hands on use. I also found the curved edge to be odd to hold and the dual curved edge of the S6 Edge to be even more odd. I will look at the S7 Edge next year since I feel they will have gotten tempered glass protection where it needs to be.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:03 PM
    In my opinion yes. I played around with a s6 edge a couple days ago and the edges don't have nearly add much functionality as the note edge. My friend also commented "why doesn't my edge do that?"
    05-08-2015 04:51 AM
    As a right hander, I'd say yes...its easier for me to use the edge sided, with icons, as I can hold the entire phone in my hand, while touching the needed app on the side; versus "using one hand" pushing the whole device upwards, trying to touch the icons at the bottom of the phone, this of course increases the possibility of a drop, as you are only holding a smaller portion of the phone. IMO
    05-17-2015 07:44 AM
    If you want a phone thas full of functions that know other phone has yes get it love main

Posted via the Android Central App
    4R69l and neoberry99 like this.
    05-21-2015 08:05 AM
    It's worth what it's worth to the individual user.
    05-22-2015 01:17 PM
    I have had both the Note 4 and the Note Edge. The functionality of the Edge is nice. Just being able to access information and apps from the side panel is very useful. Is it worth the extra $100? I would say it is to me. But, I really use those extra features a lot.

Note Edge
    06-20-2015 06:17 AM
    What I love in the Note Edge:
    -Unique design (none other samsung phone looks like it)
    -The Edge thingy is still a novelty, so the Note Edge will not get as ''old'' as the Note 4 when the 5 will be out, heck I wasn't aware of the Note Edge before March because this phone was delayed several months in my country, the Note 5 will most probably be another copy/paste in design than Note 3 and 4, while the Note Edge 2 will be very expensive the 1st months even perhaps delayed like the Note Edge, so you can't go wrong with buying it.
    -Note 5 and Note Edge 2 would probably not have an SD card slot, while I didn't find it important in the past, now memory is very important as photos and videos sizes are larger
    06-20-2015 07:25 AM
    Really starting to get into the features of this phone. The edge really does a great job providing extra functionality.

Note Edge
    06-20-2015 08:14 AM
    I love my M9 but if I get whatever hardware fault (some people got cracked camera lens) I will definitely get a Note Edge
    06-20-2015 01:16 PM
    I love my M9 but if I get whatever hardware fault (some people got cracked camera lens) I will definitely get a Note Edge
    The M9 was one that I was looking at. I haven't had an HTC device in a really long time. Was going to give it a shot. But the Note Edge was calling me. And I'm glad that I went with it

Note Edge
    06-20-2015 06:22 PM
    Get it. You won't regret your decision.
    06-28-2015 06:39 AM
    Returned the Note Edge. Decided to go with the Nexus 6 for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    06-28-2015 01:59 PM
    Returned the Note Edge. Decided to go with the Nexus 6 for a while.

Actually I wanted a BlackBerry Passport but I'm on Sprint with many lines so switching carriers is not an option for a long time. I looked at both Samsung notes and decided with the edge because it was different. With the Samsung flip cover it gives it a professional look and feel.

06-28-2015 07:20 PM
    Actually I wanted a BlackBerry Passport but I'm on Sprint with many lines so switching carriers is not an option for a long time. I looked at both Samsung notes and decided with the edge because it was different. With the Samsung flip cover it gives it a professional look and feel.

The Edge with the flip cover is a great combination. However I found the edge to be an issue with handling. I just never felt comfortable with it. I thought I would get used to it. But I never did.

Jalopiejoe likes this.
    06-29-2015 06:31 AM
    Hi Android peeps! I got my Note Edge a week ago. Love this thing! It's like 2 phones in one. I did remove the contact panel, too easy to accidentally place calls. Also it's easy to open apps so you get used to holding it a certain way. I haven't bought a case yet, that may change things. I love the S pen, I've seen some say they don't use it but to me that's the Edge (pardon the pun!) over the G6 Edge. Also rumor has it (maybe confirmed now?) that the back won't be removable in the future so if your battery goes bad & you didn't buy enough storage, bummer. The Edge is awesome to look at, there are many panels to choose from (I thought there was only one when I first looked into it!) They roll... The Express Me panel is fun & the Edge clock is a cool feature. All your apps as far as I can tell can be put on Edge panels. Your main screens are uncluttered. I have a beautiful live aquarium wallpaper you can actually see, lol. I got the minimum 32 gb storage & still have room after using Smart Switch. My Galaxy 5 was full..I miss the water resistance, dropped the G 5 in the tub, it's true about it's resiliance but not a 'fun' phone. I'll be getting an SD card. The phone gets very warm if used a lot. I have a task killer/app closer for that. The battery life is pretty good, not fab, not awful. That's not a big issue if you have a vehicle charger or portable powerbank or don't use it 24/7 with no outlet nearby. The power saving mode is useful. People who brag about their iPhone 6's were fascinated with my Note Edge. I won't feel the need to upgrade (immediately! Like I did with the dull S5). There's no end to the entertainment & productivity with this Phablet...4k video, optical image stabilization (my G 5 pics were often blurry & grainy)..colors are vivid. I also have a Galaxy Tab 3, which has been rather lonely since the Edge arrived. The Qualcomm processor makes it run super fast. Overall I'm thrilled I got this instead of any other phone. I may not upgrade until it DIES & I've never liked any phone that much & I've had a LOT! (Going back to the bag phones in 1990 & a 'car' phone mounted on the hump!) Sorry to ramble & hope I've helped someone decide for or against. My only compensation is from my new toy, lol! 😆

07-01-2015 12:32 PM
    My contract is up in less than 30 days and I was looking to wait for the Note 5 but I really like the Note edge better. I also have the S 5 . It is a good phone but not in the same class as the Note edge. Hope to get the Note Edge.
    Daina Marie likes this.
    07-06-2015 01:17 PM
    IMHO Samy is heading in the wrong design direction with Edge technology. The smaller and less functional edge on the S6 might've been a good start, but the Note Edge is so much more useful! Add to that, the current predictions are that there won't be a 2nd generation Note Edge only a larger S6 Edge - complete with non-removable backs & therefore no SD card options. I'd run - not walk to get a Note Edge - especially now that they have just reduced the price!

07-14-2015 01:54 PM
    You won't be sorry! I wish I worked for a carrier & was on commission! I'm so happy with this phone. The G 5 is a very good phone. I had G 3,4 & the 5 (for 4 months!) The Note Edge is like the 5 but faster, bigger more vivid screen, hasn't frozen yet, got the S pen, the Edge panels..I admit I didn't need it but knowing the Note 5 won't have a removable back is disappointing. I wish there was an easy way to eject the S pen like a voice command. It's hard for me to get out. My one & only complaint. Just got the 5.1.1 update. 32 gb of storage seems adequate so far. The pop-up screen feature for multi-window is cool and they have a lot more options for multi-window apps which was a gripe I had with the 5. Really happy with this phone it was totally worth it! 😆

07-17-2015 04:31 PM
    I haven't seen the S 6 only seen pics & read articles. Not impressed. I read about the upcoming 6 +. Seems to be the 'in' phone to have, very trendy, but I would not trade the Note Edge for an S 6 or 6+, dual curved sides or not. No removable back? No SD card option? I agree with you & I think they'll lose business to Apple. If you're going to clone the iPhone people will just go ahead & get the original! My daughter loves iPhone..& has cracked the screen on every one. I've dropped all my phones. My S4 cracked after being dropped too many times to count before finally cracking (no case). I'm glad I got the last generation (possibly) of Samsung's removable-back phones. The Note Edge will hold its value. I'm going to protect this sucker with my life, I have no interest in the new phones. They better go in the kitchen & fix dinner for me to get rid of this thing! Lol 😆

07-17-2015 04:41 PM
    Thanks for the posts. I did get the Note Edge and Not the least bit sorry. Awesome phablet. Not interested in a glass phone with a fixed battery.
    Daina Marie likes this.
    07-17-2015 06:53 PM
    Thanks for the posts. I did get the Note Edge and Not the least bit sorry. Awesome phablet. Not interested in a glass phone with a fixed battery.
    That's what's up. Welcome to the club. Lol. I wonder if the OP bought an edge.

07-17-2015 11:30 PM
    The longer you keep the phone, the more important storage will become. Not having an SD card option & being screwed if the battery gets fried tells me I'm keeping this phone as long as it does the job. Samsung was better for giving us the removable back. Even with the bloatware. Going the way of the iPhone is a downer. iTunes made me never want an Apple product. Without the Play store I feel a phone would be dull. Why mess with success? Back to if the Edge is written worth the extra $, I love being able to access all the apps so easily. With improved multi-window features too, this phone rocks! If only the s pen would eject more easily...either gotta grow fingernails back or carry a small tool. But that's any Note. Not worth giving up the removable back for though.

neoberry99 and Jalopiejoe like this.
    07-18-2015 11:50 AM
    I just recently bought the Note Edge and was facing the same decision: Is the Edge worth the higher price tag over the conventional Noteb4? I watched quite some videos and read a lot of reviews before heading out to buy it.

The store I got it from had both models side by side, too bad the Edge wasn't charged while the Note 4 was. I like the design of the Edge more, I was never much a fan of the pretty known standard Samsung design and the Note Edge had that slight "edge" over its sibling when it comes down to that.

Now, after more than a week with the Samsung, I got mixed feelings about the functionality.Is it a gimmick or not? I am torn and would say a bit of both.
    I turned off quite some default features of the additional screen.That Style Clock was eating my battery with the flip case. The Express Me panel seemed rather useless and the default text field is also empty for now. When the flip cover is closed, I often check the edge for any notifications. It works, however there is a noticable lag between activating it with a swipe and showing the content.What's even more disappointing: The way the clock and date is displayed on the screen, the actua notifications are blocked and you need to wait until they scroll in.

In actual device use, the screen comes in handy. I have like the notification panel to quickly navigate to an items of interest, I also enjoy the matter of fact the screen actually acts as a secondary screen.So be it watching a videos, busy typing a mail or mayve playing some game: Your main screen doesn't distract you from what you're up to.
    I also use the applications panel a lot, multitasking is waaaay more efficient than using the dedicated button or going back to the homescreen and maybe open the app drawer.

Yet besides these two panels, everything else is deactivated, I can't really see any practical use for me besides gimmicky reasons.

As to answer the ultimate question: "Is the Edge worth the higher price", I can answer it with yes. The benefits in terms of design are out of the question, I have no problems with picking it up or hitting any icons accidently on the edge screen. Notifications and multitasking reasons are very helpful in terms of real world use, however beyond that it really is pretty much a gimmick IMHO. I'd buy the Edge again over the standard Note 4 if I had to choose again.
    Jalopiejoe and neoberry99 like this.
    07-19-2015 09:28 PM
    Honestly, at this point, I don't think the Note Edge is worth it. In fact I'm going to pay more just to be done with my Note 4 before my 18 month period is up. The phone was great when it was running Android 4.4.4. It was fluid, smooth, and could easily last into the night with heavy usage which included playing audio (from an SD card) via Bluetooth for 3-4 hours, taking pictures, using the Facebook app, and surfing the internet.

Then Samsung and/or Verizon decided to push out Android 5.0.1 and it has sense turned my phone into a complete mess. I had to factory erase it, twice. Erasing it the first time and restoring from a backup didn't work, I had to erase it and start from scratch. Even then it didn't fix all of my issues. Battery life is now abysmal when the phone is actually being used (but standby time has been increased), Samsung changed the camera app so that the shutter button is no longer on the Edge panel where it was with 4.4.4, I get constant stuttering when accessing apps, and Bluetooth audio skips like crazy whether I'm using my car (Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX, my Bluetooth 4.0 headphones with AAC, my UE Megaboom, or my Bose SoundLink Color). I used to be able to achieve a solid 12 hours of usage but now it's reduced to 7, maybe 8 hours if I don't access media-heavy websites.

The Note Edge was my favorite smartphone until the update. I felt the same about the S5 until the 5.0.0 update but I didn't think that Samsung and Verizon would make the same mistake. Alas, I was wrong. At this point I wouldn't even spend the extra money on the Note 4 (my fiance has one and she is experiencing all the same issues as me in terms of performance).
    07-20-2015 01:21 PM
31 12