Samsung Note Edge just became a one-time experiment

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
With today's announcement of two new Samsung flagship phones, the Note 5 and the S6 Edge +, Samsung just made the original Note Edge, only a few months old, a one-time experiment.

I have never seen anyone else using the Note Edge and now with it being a one-time offer, chances are, I'll never see it in someone else's hands.

I am a long time Note user because of the large screen and the S-pen, so the S6 Edge + doesn't have an appeal to me. Although Note 5 looks sleek, I am in no hurry to part with now my collectible Note Edge.

:)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I hear ya. I just got my Edge off Swappa this past weekend but was still hoping that even with all the "in the know" people's thumbs pointing down to no new Edge that they'd surprise us all with an Edge 2 in today's Samsung Event. I'm really surprised it didn't sell well enough for them to continue the line. But I did see some round faced upcoming smartwatches :)

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Note Edge is too techy and pricy. It attracts a hardcore crowd. Most people just want a phone that looks and works normal, nothing to do with that "weird" side bar. Even the S6 Edge works like a normal phone. That's why the Note 4 forum on this site is 10 thousand times busy than the Note Edge.

General public is all thumbs and has no coordination. They can't handle oddities and they are totally tech unaware. That's why most will never switch from Apple, because they don't want to learn a new OS.

That's different with the people who are under the age of 20 today. But I see plenty of 20 somethings who are not tech savvy at all.

So, now that you finally got yourself a Note Edge, what do you think?

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Glad I picked mine up on day one and glad it is a limited/concept phone...

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I knew the Note Edge was a one time experiment when the S6 Edge was released without any of the Note Edge's features. The Note Edge is a nice phone e and I almost got one myself but the lack of accessories stopped me. Those that have it should feel that they have something special, unlike what Samsung confirmed today. My Note 4 became even better with today's announcement.

from the Elegance

rexb

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
In a way, I predicted this will happen when I saw S6 Edge announcement early this year and immediately ordered Note Edge! Glad I made the right choice and didn't wait for the Note 5. I love the functionality of the Spen and edge screen and use both lot. Also having the flexibility of removable battery and SD card is something I don't want to give up yet.

Both new phones announced today don't appeal to me, had they put the SPen on the S6 Edge plus then I may have reconsidered it and jumped (TMobile Jump). I may have to just try to live with sealed body.

zecha46

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Note Edge is too techy and pricy. It attracts a hardcore crowd. Most people just want a phone that looks and works normal, nothing to do with that "weird" side bar. Even the S6 Edge works like a normal phone. That's why the Note 4 forum on this site is 10 thousand times busy than the Note Edge.

General public is all thumbs and has no coordination. They can't handle oddities and they are totally tech unaware. That's why most will never switch from Apple, because they don't want to learn a new OS.

That's different with the people who are under the age of 20 today. But I see plenty of 20 somethings who are not tech savvy at all.

So, now that you finally got yourself a Note Edge, what do you think?

Bahaha. I was 20 something some 30 years ago, I love my Note Edge. I was due for an upgrade using the S5 ( that my 20 yr old daughter has). I wanted a Note and was going to go with the 5. Glad I got the Edge!

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'll keep the phone and pay it all off through Verizon edge (ew, I know) and sell it.. Maybe it'll be a nice sell later on :) if not, its a nice phone, even if it has its flaws. I'm getting much more lag now though.. Kinda disappointed

Posted via the Android Central App

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the trend on phone design points to sealed phones.
As phone storage getting better, and cloud, SD cards will not be missed as much.

Basically what's happening is this: with sealed phones you can never truly turn them off. So they can be tracked off or on. Also they want all your stuff on cloud, not on SD cards, for easier surveillance.

Apple for example has all the files, text messages, pics, contact phone numbers and emails of iPhone users on iCloud.

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately the trend on phone design points to sealed phones.
As phone storage getting better, and cloud, SD cards will not be missed as much.

Basically what's happening is this: with sealed phones you can never truly turn them off. So they can be tracked off or on. Also they want all your stuff on cloud, not on SD cards, for easier surveillance.

Apple for example has all the files, text messages, pics, contact phone numbers and emails of iPhone users on iCloud.
Ha, so the NSA hates that I can take the battery out of my Note 4. They'll live.

from the Elegance

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Go over to the S6 forum. Read the threads on how people CAN'T reset the phone because the battery is sealed. Sometimes you have to be able to pull the battery but with phones like that you can not. No thx!!

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
In a way, I predicted this will happen when I saw S6 Edge announcement early this year and immediately ordered Note Edge! Glad I made the right choice and didn't wait for the Note 5. I love the functionality of the Spen and edge screen and use both lot. Also having the flexibility of removable battery and SD card is something I don't want to give up yet.

Both new phones announced today don't appeal to me, had they put the SPen on the S6 Edge plus then I may have reconsidered it and jumped (TMobile Jump). I may have to just try to live with sealed body.

Same here, somehow I knew the rumors were true about a sealed 🔋 for the Note 5 so I went and got the Note Edge. I'm so glad I did.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
No lag on my my phone.

My former Note 2 that I had for 2 years and 2 months, ran like new when I sold it back to VZW.

the phones, same as any car, will only perform as good as you maintain them. if you abuse them, they'll start to drag, if this happens, it's time for a factory reset.

Leafs1201

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
As a new convert from being a longtime iPhone user and now a first time android/Samsung user I'm glad I went with the Note Edge as having a Note 5 would have meant it being too like the iPhone with no sd card slot and fixed battery, absolutely love my Note Edge.

Taigatrommel

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
I am also glad that I got the Note Edge about a month ago, even though first rumours regarding a soon to happen launch of the Note 5 hit the web.

First of course I can't buy the 5 anyways, since Samsung decided we don't need a stylus here in Germany and won't sell it to us.

Second reason is the battery. I am not too impressed with the battery performance of my Note Edge. The Note 5 offers the very same battery, even though the new SoC and memory is said to be more power saving, I doubt the difference will be huge.
Plus of course the battery is sealed, I just recently had to send in a phone due to a dead battery, since it was sealed too, I couldn't just swap it myself. Lesson kind of learned.

Third I miss the SD slot actually. Having an SD card makes switching devices easy to have all my important documents, media and files ready at hand.

Fourth I don't understand why they abandoned the Edge experiment they started last year. The new edges of the S6 Edge / Edge+ look inferior in terms of functionality compared to our Edge display.

I do like the new design though, yet I am not impressed by that glass back. I especially like the new clicky and more responsive S-Pen.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to like the Note 5 because I have owned every Note device.

However, after seeing, feeling, and holding the Note 5 I cannot get excited about it. I for one use the edge screen extensively.

I don't understand how the edge screen never caught on with the public, but once you use it it's hard to have a phone without one.

The expandable storage and replacement battery are a plus, because when you're walking around all day at six flags with your kids and your battery dies, having fast wireless charging is not as useful as a 15 second swap of a fresh battery to put you back at 100%.

I was going to purchase the Note 5 just to keep the tradition going of having owned each device, but the Note Edge is by far, in my opinion, one of the best smartphones Samsung has ever produced and so I intend on keeping this one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz