My case/cover causes a strange problem.

PastorDroid

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a case for my new Note Pro, it fits perfectly, looks professional and is "working" for what it's worth. The problem I'm having is that my case is a "smart case" meaning it'll wake the screen up when you open the case and put the screen to sleep when you close it.

Function works well, maybe TOO well. The case I have has a hand strap, I use my tablets a lot for public speaking and I'm a walker and talker when I speak so the hand strap is crucial. Problem is when I fold the case over backwards the magnetic strip in it is triggering the "sleep" function, thus rendering it useless for this particular function.

Has anyone yet figured out a way to shut off the autosleep/awake functions on the Note Pro? I've searched throughout the settings and come up empty handed.

Thanks in advance.

PD

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a relatively common problem with smartcovers. Sometimes a manufacturer puts a magnet that's too strong in the cover. If you can't find a way to manually turn off the sleep/wake sensor, then see if you can exchange or return your case in favor of another one.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have never had this problem on an I-Blason case, and I have 2 of them for my Sgt 3 8.0 and my n7 2013, both with auto wake/sleep.

PastorDroid

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try a different case. Seems as if the magnet is that strong I don't want it near my screen anyways.

Posted via Android Central App

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Had tablet for a week and half but struggling for cases, all on preorder, 1 is meant to be despatched, hopefully arrive soon.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Try settings, general, accessory, book cover? Seems to have the option to turn off? Or is that only for a Samsung cover?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

tcho3344

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, mine also, more over, the 3 buttons, "back" button, "taskmanager" button and "home" button also not functioning when case is on.. how abt urs?

PastorDroid

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
@PastorDroid which case did you end up going with that works well?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

WAWO Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 Case - Slim Folio Cover for SM-P905/P900 12.2 Inches Touch Screen Tablet,(with Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep),black.

It's like 10.00 on Amazon and it's worked perfectly from day 1.

PastorDroid

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, mine also, more over, the 3 buttons, "back" button, "taskmanager" button and "home" button also not functioning when case is on.. how abt urs?

Before I got the new case it wouldn't work folded back. The magnetic charge was too strong so it'd just think it was closed. Seems like you may have a more serious problem. What an odd occurrence.

HRL

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have the same problem, both problems mentioned. Book Cover keeps sleeping the tablet when flipped to the back, and then sometimes the home and return and recent apps buttons fail to work, leaving you frozen on the same screen.

They should have a setting for the sensitivity of the magnet sensor...but I couldn't find any settings for this feature at all.

I have sent it back to the national Samsung agents in my country to see if they can resolve it - will let you know the outcome!

In the meantime, glad to see the description above of a cover that works :)

UPDATE: I got it back from the supplier with updated software and no change at all. Each time you pinch it near the logo it locks the screen. It seems that the Samsung branded Book Cover is the only option that doesn't actually work with the Samsung tablet! I stuck a bit of rubber on the back of the cover to prevent the flipped over front cover from getting too close at the top edge, and this seems to stop the screen from locking, but that it not really that satisfactory. I will be ordering an alternative ASAP.

Last edited:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You can always simply remove the magnet from the case and not use the HAL sensor to turn the tablet on and off.

HRL

May 26, 2014
Visit site
You can always simply remove the magnet from the case and not use the HAL sensor to turn the tablet on and off.

The magnet is not localized in these covers, it is more like a 'fridge magnet' that comprises the entire body in certain areas. I did think of lasering holes in it though, so as to drop its effect down a bit!

Where is the setting for the HAL sensor on the Note Pro? (I see you have the same model as I do, but I can't find that..)

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't use a smart case but note that under Settings > General > Accessory there is an option to turn the book cover auto open function ON or OFF. Hope this helps.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The magnet is not localized in these covers, it is more like a 'fridge magnet' that comprises the entire body in certain areas. I did think of lasering holes in it though, so as to drop its effect down a bit!

Dragging the end of an unbent paper clip over the inside surface of the cover (where it touches the screen when closed) should help one find the magnet that affects on/off functionality in a cover. It will most likely be found about an inch to the right and an inch below the Samsung logo on the front of the tablet when the cover is closed. Some book style covers also use magnets to assist in keeping the cover closed (I know my Belkin one has magnets along the edge) and I suspect that it is these magnets that impact the use of the buttons on the bottom.

I've tried running a flat "fridge magnet" across my tablet (the 0.5mm thick ones that have printed images on them) and that has no effect on triggering the sensor. I'm not about to take a razor to my own Belkin case to prove a point but I have taken apart old cell phone cases for my blackberry and have flat rare earth magnets from them that I'm sure are similar to what is used inside the tablet cases. These rare earth magnets are stronger than your typical flat fridge magnets.

I don't use a smart case but note that under Settings > General > Accessory there is an option to turn the book cover auto open function ON or OFF. Hope this helps.

AFAIK that book cover setting is meant to control whether or not lock screen is bypassed when the magnetic sensor is tripped by the "book cover". It has no effect on whether or not the tablet's sensor responds to magnetic influence.

I have similar issues with my Belkin case. Wish there was a way to turn off the sensor but there isn't for now. I've even tried Xposed Framework module Magnet Off to see if that would work but to no avail.

By the way, just to add to this . . on my Belkin cover the edge magnets that keep the flap closed are so strong that if I fold the cover in back it actually impacts the accuracy of the S-Pen in some areas of the screen. Quite annoying but since I know what to expect I simply don't fold it back in that fashion when I'm doing significant S-Pen use.

HRL

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Just to update, and FYI -

I completely solved the issue with the Book Cover. It may be rough, but it works just fine, and cost nothing. Took 5 mins.

If you take the cover off and look inside the back you can see that there is a circular insert behind where the sensor is (presumably to prevent the front cover from tripping it when flipped over the back). This is clearly not quite sufficient to account for the strength of the magnet in the front cover, which as I said comprises the ENTIRE face of both the top section and bottom strip of the front cover.

I assume that this insert is either magnetic, or something ferrous. So just to test my theory all I did was flatten out a beer bottle cap with a hammer and tape it over this insert on the inside of the back cover, so as to increase the degree of interference in that section of the back when the front is flipped over.

It worked immediately. I also cut a bit off the flattened lid so as the fit it to the correct position, and it appears to be thin enough not to even contact the tablet due to a slight step down in that section of the panel.

I did this just to test the theory, but what the hell.. I'm just going to leave it there! After all, you don't see it..

I thought I would share this just in case anyone else had this issue and wanted an easy and free hack, and spare the cost of a new alternative cover :)

(by the way: the only setting my Note Pro has for the Book Cover is for Automatic Unlock on or off, which merely bypasses the swipe and therefore does not relate to the problem we are discussing - which is that the Samsung Book Cover randomly puts tablets to sleep during normal use)

They clearly need to beef up this insert a bit! Perhaps a bit more product testing required here..?

Screen shot 2014-06-04 at 8.57.21 AM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol