Ok, what are you using the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 for?

Colorado Guy

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
New to the forums, and have been watching the postings / reviews / discussions on the Note Pro 12.2 with interest. Congrats on your purchase!

With some of you having the Pro for several weeks now, I would like to know what y'all are finding out about the Pro that works best for personal use, and if there are any unexpected issues dealing with either the size of the tablet of the lack of a keyboard. Or, do you find yourself wishing you purchased a lightweight laptop instead? Let's call this a "useability in real life review"....

I confess the screen size (and resolution) is attractive, particularly after using a Nexus 7 for the past year (now upgraded to the 2013 N7). And, the Logitech keyboard seems to be a good option for keyboard use. Somewhat holding out for the 64 GB unit, but as the price approaches that of a good laptop, I am weighing the options.

So, would like to know how everyone is using or planning on using their Pro (functions, software, etc.). Is it becoming a primary "go to" tool, or do you still use your existing desktop / laptop most of the time? Do you connect internally to your home network/printer/TV for file sharing or video viewing? I also see that there are a number of "bundled" services that are available with the Pro, and curious what people are finding useful there as well. Is there a "must have" option that you would recommend?

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle535

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Ok, what are you using the Note Pro for?

New to the forums, and have been watching the postings / reviews / discussions on the Note Pro 12.2 with interest. Congrats on your purchase!

With some of you having the Pro for several weeks now, I would like to know what y'all are finding out about the Pro that works best for personal use, and if there are any unexpected issues dealing with either the size of the tablet of the lack of a keyboard. Or, do you find yourself wishing you purchased a lightweight laptop instead? Let's call this a "useability in real life review"....

I confess the screen size (and resolution) is attractive, particularly after using a Nexus 7 for the past year (now upgraded to the 2013 N7). And, the Logitech keyboard seems to be a good option for keyboard use. Somewhat holding out for the 64 GB unit, but as the price approaches that of a good laptop, I am weighing the options.

So, would like to know how everyone is using or planning on using their Pro (functions, software, etc.). Is it becoming a primary "go to" tool, or do you still use your existing desktop / laptop most of the time? Do you connect internally to your home network/printer/TV for file sharing or video viewing? I also see that there are a number of "bundled" services that are available with the Pro, and curious what people are finding useful there as well. Is there a "must have" option that you would recommend?

Thx

While I havnt gotten mine yet I plan to use mine for a multitude of ways. Such as art. I will be using g sketchbook pro along with infinite painter to make my art and maybe animation studio.

I will be using the word as a replacement for my laptop. I don't think I would need to use my computer for word, excel or ppt anymore.

I will also be using it for intense gaming and relaxing games like flow.

Basically my current windows 7 laptop will be used for backups of my info, games needing windows 7, and for software like video editing. I would ultimately be getting rid of Microsoft on my laptop.

Hope this helps!

Posted via Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm using mine for both personal and light business use.

On the business side my primary uses are for scheduling, note taking, email, PDF reviewing and other document reviewing. I'm not the type to want to replace a laptop to do productive work, for that I'll use my laptop. What I do like is keeping my important documents on Dropbox or Drive and referring to them when I'm out of the office. Having the near full sized keyboard on screen in landscape is nice. I do wish the screen was a little larger though to make typing even easier.

On the personal end I do web browsing and video watching either using YouTube or downloaded shows. I do find it useful to be able to pop multiple windows open though I don't often use more than two.

To be honest if there was a note like this what was even closer to a US Letter sized I'd probably buy it just to make it easier to take notes on. I find S-note to be a little cramped when taking notes in a meeting.

As for gaming, I could care less...I do that on my nexus 7.

I've rooted my note pro and run nova launcher. Ive installed a few utilities such as switchr and button savior to make navigation between applications easier. Using titanium backup I've frozen some programs and as far as I'm concerned I've seen some benefit to doing so in terms of perceived performance improvement. Your mileage may vary. All in all I don't regret my purchase in the least nor am I concerned about loss of warranty due to rooting, I do recognize that this is primarily based on economic situation though.

Nursedad

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Muzzy996, give Papyrus a try. Takes the cramped feeling of s-note right away. Another option is evernote, which just added handwriting to the android application. I'm still vetting this, but my business case use is similar to yours.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I use mine for Facebook, browsing the forums and genealogy research. I use LectureNotes and the S pen to scribble notes while I'm browsing my family tree. I also use it for email, and buying lots of things I don't need on Amazon. I have a couple of games installed, but mainly do my game playing on my 10.1 2014. I occasionally watch Netflix on the 12, if the battery on the 10 is running down, but it's a little large to be holding for long spells and if I try to stand it up on my stomach in bed, it keeps falling over, so I prefer the 10 for movie watching.

I have a laptop, which usually sits in front of me switched off. I hardly ever use it now I have the two tablets.

I didn't buy the 12 because I needed another tablet. I bought it because it was big and gorgeous.

Sent with love from one of my Samsungs

Colorado Guy

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

On the business side my primary uses are for scheduling, note taking, email, PDF reviewing and other document reviewing. I'm not the type to want to replace a laptop to do productive work, for that I'll use my laptop. What I do like is keeping my important documents on Dropbox or Drive and referring to them when I'm out of the office. Having the near full sized keyboard on screen in landscape is nice. I do wish the screen was a little larger though to make typing even easier.

I can see using a tablet on a plane to review docs and email while traveling. As you know, seating is usually cramped, and even a laptop is sometimes too big. The airlines are slowly adding wifi to their planes, so that would be good for accessing drop box, which I didn't think of till now.

Having a tablet lay on your lap as opposed to opening a laptop in a cramped seating space would be easier, for sure.

I do like the functionality of a real keyboard, though, and think that would be a necessary option. A mouse is difficult to use when in a non-desk environment (trying to use a real mouse while on a plane is a challenge!), and I detest the touch pad on the laptops, very non-intuitive to use (for me).

Last edited:

Colorado Guy

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Regarding personal web browsing habits, while I use my Nexus 7 for limited browsing while watching TV and such, I find it less enjoyable than using my desktop (two 23" screens). Web pages are just not set up very well for viewing on a small screen, although it can be done even on my S3. Some of the screens seem to "reformat" the screen display several times while still loading, which is aggravating at times.

Do you find that the internet browser works well, and avoids the "small screen syndrome" that occurs when a small form factor tablet views a non-mobile website?

Thx again,

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Some of the screens seem to "reformat" the screen display several times while still loading, which is aggravating at times.

This is a complex issue that plagues a lot of mobile devices simply since not only are you dealing with website programming/formatting issues but the mobile browsers as well. Additionally the slower speeds and latency of being on wifi with mobile devices make the issue more pronounced. Sorry to say this doesn't change on the Note Pro.

Do you find that the internet browser works well, and avoids the "small screen syndrome" that occurs when a small form factor tablet views a non-mobile website?

Generally things are more comfortable but again there's always the potential for compatibility issues with mobile browsers on sites that don't support them. Par for the course I suppose.

I frequent tech sites like The Verge, Engadget and Android Central. These sites work well and offer up a desktop like experience (although Engadget's site sucks for any browser I've tried since it wastes space on huge white margins). ESPN still defaults to a mobile site complete with all the limitations therein such as reduced content due to lack of Flash support. Gamecast sites look good and fill up the screen with useful information so I'm looking forward to March Madness lol.

One thing that's nice is installing a second browser that you're able to multi-window websites to (say you browse in the stock browser but push links to a floating chrome one). I do this often on sites that have links to video content that I want to watch without having the web page change on me.

Probably the most notable thing about going with a larger tablet like this is that the additional screen real estate affords you greater flexibility to work with limited screen size. By that I mean if you're trying to interact with websites for example to write blog posts or whatnot the added screen size gives you the ability to see more of the website even if your keyboard is taking up a third or more of the screen.

So to answer your question, yes the bigger screen is great for browsing. Just don't expect a 100% desktop like experience since the software itself is still the same.

Hope this helps!

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I didn't buy this to replace a laptop and frankly, find the idea ludicrous. However, the Note Pro 12.2 is clearly the closest thing to a laptop, in tablet form, available today.

I use mine for email, nook book reading, web browsing, annotating pdf's and taking notes thus far. It has performed admirably in all those categories, I just wish more robust apps were out to take advantage of the digitizer pen, especially MS One Note. I have had to use the Hancom Office Word equivalent a couple of times, worked seamlessly. I've also used it to read headline news.

This is an impressive machine thus far. I'm surprised more people are jumping on it, perhaps it is the price. IMHO, there is more than $300 difference in the value you get with the Note Pro 12.2 versus the iPad Air.

Colorado Guy

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I didn't buy this to replace a laptop and frankly, find the idea ludicrous.... I'm surprised more people are jumping on it, perhaps it is the price.

I find that while using a N7, I am still using keyboard and mouse functionality quite a bit even when using for media consumption (visiting websites, viewing forums, movies, etc.). The combination of a smallish screen and an onscreen keyboard is frankly time consuming, making me desire a larger form factor. When using email or participating in forums, a keyboard becomes more of a necessity. As such, am weighing the potential advantages/disadvantages of a separate add-on keyboard with a great tablet vs a laptop. As both options are essentially in the same price range, a decision between the two is appropriate. I don't intend to purchase both simply because I would not carry both.

I do travel with a corporate laptop, so I have to consider bulk of carrying multiple devices. In that case, the N7 shines due to its small size. I honestly don't know how thin a Note Pro plus a case plus a keyboard would be compared to a thin laptop.

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm using my 12.2 for the basics: email, Facebook, web surfing & catching up on news (Flipboard, CNN & NY Times).

Additionally I'm watching the Yankees on MLB-TV. My wife likes this because I don't tie up the TV. I also work with spreadsheets and use Evernote.

There are more things but these are the regular activities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mobile Nations mobile app

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Secondary keyboards never crossed my mind when purchasing this tablet. My problem is that once I'm having to carry something that is as large as an ultra book I'm going to expect similar performance and capabilities. This tablet with a simple case is about the same size as a naked 13 - inch MacBook Air. Now I know that the air does not have the screen quality that is comparable or a touch screen but in terms of productivity it will be a heck of a lot more capable than this tablet. I do understand and appreciate others desires to minimize what they carry by having a device that will cover most of what they need to do though.

How about one of the new touch screen ultra books like one of the thinkpad yogas?

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

at the moment purely for internet browsing and watching NBA on with the gametime app...i'm sure will use the scrapbook when i book my hoildays to remember quotes e.t.c

i watch netflix too but use my TV to watch it via the note 12.2.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

I use the Pro 12.2 as a companion to my other Sammy devices.

I use and leave the Note 10.1 2014 at work for taking notes in meetings, and listening to Pandora in my office. My Note 3 is my go to device which is with me all the time for everything. The 12.2 stays at home, and since everything is synced up via my Samsung account I use it to review any s-notes I took throughout the day on my other devices, and read articles and watch videos I have saved into scrapbook. I also use it, while at home, to take an online class I'm enrolled in.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site

It's primary use is for writing, but I also use it for media consumption (books, movies, music) and social media. I picked up the Logitech case a few days ago, replacing the Logitech portable keyboard I'd been using.

For most tasks it's great. I thought I'd get more use from the multi-window feature, but it hasn't worked out that way so far; too few apps work with it without rooting. And I do wish I had full Office functionality on it, as I need to be able to refer to Word comments fairly often, which Hancom doesn't support. Plus I wish it would run Scrivener, but hey, I knew ahead of time that wasn't going to work.

All in all, it's a great machine. I don't regret the expense at all.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I came to get the 4G version of the Note 12.2 after about two months of extensive research on what portable device I should get for a trip I'm on now. I typically have had business supplied laptops for the past several years until a while ago.

My Research/Thinking Process to Reach the Note Pro 12.2:
My first thought was to get a 15.6" laptop and was looking at Samsung, Sony and Lenovo.

Then I saw the Sony Flip 13.3 convertible at Best Buy and was totally sold on it. I was all set to get it, when I realized that it wouldn't work well as a tablet in the real world. It's way too heavy, thick and basically cumbersome as a tablet. Nice idea, but not practical as a tablet. It's basically good for showing presentations and slide shows at event tables. Also Sony sold their VAIO division anyway.

Then I started questioning why I need a windows platform for my portable. I dislike (hate) the Metro tiles on the 8.1 to the point that I rather by pass windows 8 all together if/when I upgrade my desktop.

So, I thought of 10.1 tablets, and checked out the Note 10.1 2014, but found the screen just too small and the other clincher was lack of decent MS Office compatible program.

I started reading and watching videos on the 12.2 and it made a lot of sense. First off as a Galaxy Note phone user I am familiar with it already and three things sold me on it: The screen size and resolution, the light weight and Hancom Office.

I knew that the launch of the unit on VZW in 4G was imminent and I picked it up in black on the first day it became available and I am EXTREMELY happy with my decision and specially love the super thin ZAGG keyboard.

So, in short I am successfully using the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 as a laptop replacement. And I think powerful larger tablets are the future of computing. And in many ways the Era of Windows will come to an end.

Last edited:

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Follow up to above, I just hit my first limitation with this tablet. I had to do an urgent graphics work and create a file for a print publication, so had to find a kinkos location nearby, as I needed the familarity of the PC platfrom to it. The fee at Kinkos was $50 for my time, plus about $30 in R/T Taxi fare. Ouch!

Colorado Guy

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Follow up to above, I just hit my first limitation with this tablet. I had to do an urgent graphics work and create a file for a print publication, so had to find a kinkos location nearby, as I needed the familarity of the PC platfrom to it. The fee at Kinkos was $50 for my time, plus about $30 in R/T Taxi fare. Ouch!

Was that because there was no full size USB port, or because the software files did not save as a .docx / pdf type file?

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Well all of the above, minus .docx, because Hancock saves as such. I can't do serious graphics work for print on this thing. Frankly I couldn't do it on the Surface either. A hi-res 13.3" pc laptop with separate mouse may be able to pull off the job but 15.6 would better. Serious Photopshop work can't really be done on small screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood