Eye strain/head aches?

thelarryw

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had the SGNP12.2 for about two weeks now. I really love it, except...using it kills my eyes and gives me headaches. I've used lots of other devices (ipad2, any number of lap tops and monitors, iphone, kindle) and never had this problem before. I've messed with brightness settings, font settings, and downloaded an app that puts different colored filters over the screen, but nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem or has an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had the SGNP12.2 for about two weeks now. I really love it, except...using it kills my eyes and gives me headaches. I've used lots of other devices (ipad2, any number of lap tops and monitors, iphone, kindle) and never had this problem before. I've messed with brightness settings, font settings, and downloaded an app that puts different colored filters over the screen, but nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem or has an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

How long does it usually take before you start to notice any symptoms? Does this happen all through the day and night or is it limited to day or night only? Is it possibly app related?

thelarryw

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting questions. It's pretty quick to happen. Maybe after 5 minutes. It happens any time of day. It doesn't seem limited to or caused by one app, as it happens no matter what I'm doing. I thought maybe it could be animations, as I know some people report getting sick from the ios7 animations, but it happens even if I'm just looking at a single still page. I'm wondering if there's something different about this display technology than other displays I'm used to. It sucks, because it's the perfect tablet for me. Thanks!

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
The only other idea that I have is do you have auto brightness on? Maybe one of the autoadjusting features in the settings is causing your screen to constantly adjust ever so slightly that you may not notice it but your eyes are taking a beating from the adjusting? Just a shot in the dark but I'd love to help you solve this... Look also at things like Reading Mode and Adaptive Display or whatever that setting is called.

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Interesting... I sit at a computer all day and often spend more time on one at home and get really sore eyes on a regular basis but have not noticed any increase since getting my Note 12.2. In fact my eyes usually start feeling better by the time I get home from work and continue to improve throughout the evening even though I'm glued to my tablet. No difference from the Nexus 10 I replaced. Maybe time to have your eyes check my an eye doctor. Could just be timing and nothing to do with the 12.2 screen....

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm late to this post, but I recall the first week of the 12.2. My eyes hurt as well, but I thought it was due to having to move my eyes farther across the screen to read text, etc. Now I don't notice any difference. Kinda like exercising muscles. It hurts at first.....There is alot of real estate on this screen. When I look at my 10.1, I feel like it's a phone lol

I usually am drinking while posting here.....sorry

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
This will sound odd but Samsung tablets/mobiles always hurt my eyes and the only thing different between them that I know of is pentile matrix which I don't think other companies use? The 8.4 doesn't use this I believe so hopefully I'll be ok

Posted via Android Central App

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I had really bad eyestrain and headaches during my first few days of using my Note 10.1, as my brightness was turned all the way up. Then I turned it down to halfway, and I still had eyestrain. Now I've turned the brightness to practically zero, and it isn't really a problem anymore.

I know you said you already adjusted the brightness, but maybe you can turn it down all the way, and see it it's any better. And make sure auto-brightness is off.

patti bartee

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem,and I just turned down my screen brightness to about one quarter and I felt a difference in my eyes immediately! Thanks for the suggestion!!

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You might want an eye exam. Sounds like me one time I needed new glasses. The Note is hi-res and awfully bright. Somtimes for reading I turn brightness way down and wish the screen was tinted so you have covered the usual problems well.

Toni Tayrien

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I have had my galaxy 4 for nine months. I just upgradinged to 50.1 the screen now gives me headaches. It's blindingly bright. Right now I have the screen brightness all the way down and have the phone turned at at a 45 degree angel. I need them to fix this or I will have to find a way to return to the old version.

Last edited:

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have had my galaxy 4 for nine months. I just upgradinged to 50.1 the screen now gives me headaches. It's blindingly bright. Right now I have the screen brightness all the way down and have the phone turned at at a 45 degree angel. I need them to fix this or I will have to find a way to return to the old version.

You might want to try an app that makes the screen dimmer than what Android will let you go. It's called Display Brightness.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...berbigpepper.DisplayBrightness&token=0miCQ3Oc

I'd recommend changing the minimum negative brightness level so that the screen does not go completely dim and you can't see anything.

Hope this helps!

subdewd

May 12, 2012
Visit site
i like a dim screen especially at night (in a dark room) - something about samsung displays in a darken room at lowest brightness (also trying many different screen dimmers) that just doesn't work... i think my eyes are more sensitive than others, i've always used computer screens at the lowest level. i've also had at least 15 different lcd android tablets and phones without any problem. first samsung i tried was the tab s 8.4 and now i have a tab s2 9.7 both just don't do well for me in a dark room. i get headaches and my eyes feel strained. i've also tried every screen setting such as reader mode, adaptive etc... also i put cyanogen on the tab s 8.4 and although i think it helped a little, not much. please don't tell me i need to go to the eye doctor. i've also got a sony z4 tablet and with a screen dimmer it's almost perfect. i can read on it in a dark room all night long :) as well as an old lg g pad 8.3 and a mate 7 huawei phone all of which are fine also.

deeebay

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Same for me. Last year tried to play with Samsung S7 and couldn't use it more than 5 minutes. Changed all display settings and it didn't work. Sold. And now I have Note 8. My eyes feel the same strain and I lost my eyes clarity during a week by using this device. Never had glasses or problems with eyes at all. IPS screens (like LG V10) giving peace to my eyes so looking for a device with similar display.

rafaellondon1

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
Same for me. Last year tried to play with Samsung S7 and couldn't use it more than 5 minutes. Changed all display settings and it didn't work. Sold. And now I have Note 8. My eyes feel the same strain and I lost my eyes clarity during a week by using this device. Never had glasses or problems with eyes at all. IPS screens (like LG V10) giving peace to my eyes so looking for a device with similar display.

I used to have Galaxy note 4 and display was great. All this glossiness is mad as well as the infinity screen. All for gimmik-lovers but not practical .

After looking for a while to the screen eyes hurt. Please solve problem in next Note. Go for a matt screen.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
This is a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 thread. Why are some posters trying to hijack this thread with other models?

And not all of us users of the note pro 12.2 are having eye issues. I have been using mine for years now and have never had any eye problems using it. I use it daily, night times and day times.

mlim82480

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Just upgraded from Galaxy S8 to Note 9 and the Note 9 is hurting my eyes. Previously had S7, S5 and Note 2. Those phones never bothered my eyes. Not sure what they changed with the Note 9, but its hurting my eyes. Especially when reading emails with white background or playing FortNite.

elyas eliat

Nov 4, 2018
Visit site
Just upgraded from Galaxy S8 to Note 9 and the Note 9 is hurting my eyes. Previously had S7, S5 and Note 2. Those phones never bothered my eyes. Not sure what they changed with the Note 9, but its hurting my eyes. Especially when reading emails with white background or playing FortNite.

I am having the same problem, i upgraded from note 5 to note 9. after using it for 45 days my eye is paining now. i cant look at screen for 5min. now. it blurred my eyes. i don't know what is the problem??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz