Using Galaxy Pro 12.2 for Presentations and Training

SilverMerlin

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Really keen on buying this tablet, I am a very big android fan I work as a trainer and do lots of travelling, it seems ideal for me. However just have a few questions all of which are deal breakers:

How close to MS powerpoint is the Hancom version - will I have to significantly reformat slides, I want to get away from MS office ASAP!
Has anyone actually connected the tablet successfully to a VGA projector if so which dongle have you used most projectors are still unfortunately based on VGA but slowly changing to HDMI.
Would I be able to use the tablet as a whiteboard - using an app to draw a live sketch which is output through a projector?
I would like to use the some kind of remote clicker with the tablet - is this possible

Any assistance would be very gratefully received, but particularly interested to hear from anyone that has used this tablet for training course delivery or presentations actually in the wild :)

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I can only answer one of those question, the one about the whiteboard. I use an excellent app called lecture notes which has freehand drawing on it among many of its features. You could use the freehand drawing as a whiteboard. I also not that you need a USB 3 other connector to connect to a projector etc, but as far as trying to see if it works, I have not and have not worked with Hancom's presentation app.

Sent from my SM-P905V using AC Forums mobile app

SilverMerlin

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that is really useful it would look much better than using a flip chart.

As for connecting to a projector It seems pretty easy for one with a HDMI port. I know that there are various third party connectors out there to connect to a VGA projector but it is a little confusing as to what will work and what will not.I can't go to run a training course for a week and I can't connect to the projector - I would get sacked :( If anyone has actually done this please could you let me know how you did it it is probably the only thing that is stopping me buying this tablet. I imagine this is an important issue for others as this is aimed partly at the professional end of the market.

SilverMerlin

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that really helpful I think we are making some progress on this one. After doing some more detective work in the you tube film it looks like it is this HDMI to MHL 2.0 (must be 2.0) adapter -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-Adapter-SM-T310-GT-N5110/dp/B00IAE6YGC

One last key issue remaining now connecting to a VGA projector I wonder if this would work but not sure of the quality of the item - Super Short MHL 2.0 to VGA Cable Adapter w/ Extra Audio for Galaxy S4 / Note 3 anyone tried this on a pro 12.2 or similar?

Last edited:

Ion_NotePro

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
If using HDMI input on the display/projector -can't you use a chrome cast and connect to it wireless? I don't think you need to have any wireless network in place - it just works host to host? I am going to buy a chrome cast soon - but I thought you could mirror with it.

I am pretty sure the 12.2 has WIFI-Direct - I see my Roku show up all the time as a direct device but have never tried it.

There must be a way to do this wireless.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If using HDMI input on the display/projector -can't you use a chrome cast and connect to it wireless? I don't think you need to have any wireless network in place - it just works host to host? I am going to buy a chrome cast soon - but I thought you could mirror with it.

There must be a way to do this wireless.

Out of the box Chromecast does not do screen mirroring. There is a root hack available for the Nexus 5 but that's about it, I don't think it has been ported over to the devices yet.

jorang

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the "Allshare Cast Dongle EAD-T10" could be used to connect to HDMI?

I'm still on N8000. Have tried numerous HDMI to VGA adapters with 'no' luck (using both the Allshare Cast Dongle and the EPL-3PHPBEGSTD adapter). Can view a mirror of the screen on the projector, but typically problems with the aspect ratio (usually gets 4:3), and none of the "office" applications available for my device views the powerpoint slide as it should. I have ended up converting to pdf and using the Allshare Cast to HDMI

sruuth

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Samsung MHL 2.0 to HDMI adapter for the Note Pro 12.2 and it works fine. Not sure how to go from HDMI to VGA though :-( Tried a friend's adapter and it didn't work. Was thinking of getter a scaler/converter rather than a cheaper dongle type. I don't need the cheapest unit, but as I want something for projectors I'd still like something portable enough for teaching and research talks. Anybody had success with an HDMI to VGA converter yet on the Note Pro 12.2?

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Haven't had any luck with finding a vga connector so far. No one I have talked with is aware of anything that will work at this point. Nothing fits the slot on the 12.2. The only thing is the HDMI connector so far. According to the local samsung rep the samsung HDMI cable is the only one that has something built inside that makes the screen mirroring to work with audio, video etc. Other HDMI work but they don't work with all the features that the 12.2 offers.

sruuth

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I bought one of the Cable Matters active HDMI to VGA Male to Female adapters (113056-Black). it works. I notice some scan lines in my setup (using 1024x768 projectors) but it is unlikely to matter or even be noticed in my application. Oddly enough, now I don't seem to be able to use the HDMI on its own to a projector. I may eventually investigate this further, but it isn't of much concern to me right now since I don't have those types of projectors available normally. Both the samsung and the Cable Matter pieces have power in but I don't need to plug them in. The sound also works on my setup.

Hopefully people put their experiences into this thread. There are likely better solutions to come in the future.

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Curious anyone get the hdmi to vga connection to work? Am wonder if after hooking the hdmi connecter to the 12.2 if you could attach the vga adapter to the end of the hdmi cable then to the projector if that would work?

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Sruuth, why not just buy one of the pocket projectors and bring your own. Probably not good for lecture halls but project large enough for many conference rooms.

Sent from My Samsung Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905V using Tapatalk

sruuth

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion bill-e. It is tempting to get a projector, but I am satisfied with my solution for my present needs. All the rooms I lecture in have build in projectors so I will use those and the adapters/converters I purchased. Also, I will keep watching this thread to see what other people learn/come up with.

cclancy45

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Nice work... i am picking mine up this morning and I had the EXACT same questions. I do pre-sales consulting, living in presentations and most clients only have VGA in. Can't wait to try your solution and never bring my MacBook again lol.

sruuth

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I've used mine now for 2 lectures and it has worked perfectly. A few more observations:

1. The HDMI seem to work fine on an HDMI monitor on its own.
2. Using VGA projector I need to plug in the sound on the Cable Matters adapter otherwise my setup gives an odd clicking sound on the projector speaker system. If I plug in the sound into the Cable Matters adapter everything works fine and the projector speakers are silent. So even though I have no sound in my application, I needed the Cable Matters adapter with audio to keep my local projector system from clicking. Just a heads up since some of the adapters do not come with audio.
3. None of the power inputs on the Samsung HDMI or Cable Matters adapter are needed. I lecture for two hours and the battery doesn't get drained much at all over that time period.

Cheers!

Last edited:

wintertrader

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello SRUUTH, can you elaborate please on the Samsung MHL 2.0 to HDMI adapter for the Note Pro 12.2 ? Where one can buy it from ? I can't seem to find where that specific adapter can be bought from (if seems to be working based on your experience). I also read that some others i.e.the Rocketfish brand or other imported adapters will not work with the samsung 12.2 tablet. Thanks

Last edited:

sruuth

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
This one:

MHL 2.0 HDTV Smart Adapter

Samsung is IMHO terrible at identifying accessories for their products. I look at the Verizon Galaxy Note 12.2 at the USA site and check there for working accessories. Verizon seems to be more interested in keeping Samsung's web page up to a high standard than Samsung is!

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a factory standard wifi only Note Pro 12.2". I am wanting to send the display to my 22" widescren HP w2207 computer monitor, which has vga and DVI inputs. Had some success with a digitek mhl to hdmi with a hdmi to DVI adapter, but aspect ratio was not good: looked like a 4:3 display on a widescreen tv. Also, this adapter was a 5-pin mhl with a separate 5-pin to 9 pin adapter supplied, but I found this placed too much strain in the connection to the tablet. Needing an 11-pin mhl to DVI, or 11-pin mhl to hdmi, and maybe then use my hdmi to dvi adaptor, or buy a straight lead hdmi on one end to dvi on the other.
OR, interested if a hdmi to dvi could be plugged into a google Chromecast dongle to feed the dongle to my HP monitor. That is, Note Pro to chromecast to hdmi-dvi adaptor to monitor? Want to get a wide-screen result to my wide-screen HP monitor. I am in the land of Oz (down under) which has just had the Chromecast put on sale in this country.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey