New to Android

Steve Villines

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
OK, so I am new to the Android Platform. I had an HTC Incredible II in the past, but decided to switch to an I-Phone. I also own a I-Pad 1. The reason I switched over from the Android platform is simplicity. Android confused me and I really didn't want to take the time to learn how to use the platform. Well, times have changed. I am tired of lugging my laptop all over the country and have decided to invest in a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. I will use my laptop for heavy duty work, when I am at home on my docking station with multiple screens. However, on the road I want something light and portable.

With all this being said, I realize that the old dog needs to learn some new tricks to make this plan successful. I have quite a few questions, most of which are very basic, some of which are specific to the new tablet. Please forgive me if I am asking questions that have already been posted elsewhere, feel free to point me toward the proper forum.

Thank you all in advance for your patience and advice. So here we go.

1. How much of the user interface is specific to Samsung (Galaxy Note Pro) vs. Android. If I am trying to figure out how to optimize the UI, is it an Android or Samsung question?
2. I hear about all the different Android operating systems like ice cream sandwich vs. jellybean. Is the user interface different depending on the version, or is it more of a backend difference? When searching for answers or tips, do I need to specify the actual version or would the questions generally be generic Android questions?
3. I see all these task manager apps available from Android or Samsung. I really don't understand what I can close or delete and what I can't. Any suggestions for Dummy's on where to start learning about these options?

I will start with these questions, but still have many more. Again thanks for the support from a new convert.

RussBad

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
1. How much of the user interface is specific to Samsung (Galaxy Note Pro) vs. Android. If I am trying to figure out how to optimize the UI, is it an Android or Samsung question?

I would say most of the user interface is Samsung. The behavior of the interface is Android. If you have a general understanding of Android and what you are trying to accomplish, then the UI is pretty easy to figure out.

2. I hear about all the different Android operating systems like ice cream sandwich vs. jellybean. Is the user interface different depending on the version, or is it more of a backend difference? When searching for answers or tips, do I need to specify the actual version or would the questions generally be generic Android questions?

I don't concern myself too much with the version, most of it is backend. Jellybean on a Samsung may look completely different from Motorola. When searching for tips and answers, your best bet is to go to a forum dedicated to the specific device you need help with.

3. I see all these task manager apps available from Android or Samsung. I really don't understand what I can close or delete and what I can't. Any suggestions for Dummy's on where to start learning about these options?

Task managers are really not necessary. You also have a recents App which shows you which apps you have active and you can close all those apps and free up RAM without harming anything.

My suggestion for you is to watch YouTube videos for tips and tricks for your specific device. There are a myriad of Android devices and each manufacturer implements the OS and UI in their own way so trying to learn all of them may not be necessary for you. I have Samsung phones and Tablets so I am more familiar with how they work, but if I had to use an HTC or Motorola, I would have no problem because the basic functionality are pretty much identical. Good luck to you and welcome to Android!

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I just have a quick thought for you on the different Android versions as to me they are somewhat like what Apple does with ios 5, ios 6, and now ios 7. I'm not trying to compare the two but I'm just giving an example of how they relate to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908