Why is the GNP 12.2 more expensive than the TAB S?

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Just as the title says, why is the 10.5 tab s cheaper than the note pro 12.2? I mean is it just because of the display? The 12.2 being larger? Honestly, I was waiting for the tab s to come out, being that it is the flagship tablet of samsung, I expected for the note pro 12.2 to lessen its price. Though size may be a factor, still one can not deny that the tab s has a newer technology mostly with the amoled display, fingerprint scanner, etc. So why is it more expensive?

I mean geez, even the difference of the wifi version of the 12.2 vs the LTE enabled tab s does not even come close. A refurbished even (529 bucks refurb 12.2 wifi to a 499 brand new tab s LTE)!

Anyone knows why? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Technology behind. Spen and screen tecnhology (Wacom digitizer).

Sent from my phone - Note 10.1 (N8000)

MarkAidan

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't know officially why but for me.... The screen for sure. The fact it has S-Pen capability so not a straight comparison. The "newer technology" is not all that significant for me. Am using the 12.2 productivity as I use it part for work and well am now used to the bigger screen. The screen is fantastic on the Tab S but coming from the 7.7 amoled display I thought the 12.2 screen was fantastic as well so the next jump is not as significant.

Tab S looks like a great tablet, screen quality in particular.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The 10 S doesnt come anywhere near the 12.2 note pro. The S pen and the wacom tech is amazing and the screen size is phenomenal. I sold a 13" macbook air and instead use the 12.2 as my laptop replacement. The screen on the 12,2 is brilliant. A lot if hype is being attached to the amoled screen but in real life its not too different than my note 10.1 2014 edition and my note pro 12.2. Pay the xtra for the 12, its well worth it.

anon(9012108)

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
First of all, both are Samsung's flagship devices. It's just that the Tab S and the Note Pro belong to different markets - mainly due to the availability of S Pen. The Tab S is a "premium" tablet for consuming contents, while the Note Pro is mainly focused on professional use and productivity (how well the Note Pro actually serves its purpose would be a different question, but the point here is the intended market). The correct comparison to the Tab S tablets would be the Tab Pro tablets.

Price-wise, screen size matters. It might not be a big deal for web surfing, watching videos, etc. However, when it comes to productivity, the distinction between 10 inch and 12 inch do exist. You are correct that in terms of OEM prices, the prices differences between the two display parts may be subtle. But I think, when it comes to actual usage, it makes sense how Samsung positioned the prices. So again, the correct comparison to Tab S 10.5 would be Tab Pro 10.1 (which, according to CNET, is $50 cheaper).

Lastly, the reduced weight and the fingerprint censor are definitely pluses, but I think it is still debatable if AMOLED is a better technology than LCD. AMOLED is still developing technology compared to LCD, although most will agree that AMOLED delivers more accurate and crisp colors as of now. Also, AMOLED is ideal for portable devices as it requires less weight. However, AMOLED just two year ago (e.g. Galaxy Note 2) had numerous burn in problems. No one knows how today's AMOLED will do. It still needs to be tested, although I am sure it is certainly better than it was 2 years ago.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance