MS Office for Android Beta

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Saw somewhere that the beta is released in play store but I sure can't find it. Also it may not be optimized for our 12.2 Note yet.
I would like to see a review if anyone has downloaded it.

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
It isn't available for the 12.2 yet. I have it (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) on my Nexus 10 though I've barely used it, mostly because I barely use that tablet.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Its in beta currently and you have to apply One of the things they ask is what tablet you will use the software on. I applied saying I would use on the GNote Pro 12.2 - at the current moment I am on the "waiting list"

If you like go to:

Home

and apply for the beta.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Randall, I'll pass on the waiting list thing as they want too much personal info. I heard that the beta does not work in landscape view but only works in portrait view. That's why it won't work on our wonderful tablet. I do most of my work in landscape view as that is the native view and more like a desktop view. MS seems to have forgotten that there are some big tablets out there that need the landscape view.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It's interesting that the first thing I saw in the dedicated Yammer group was three people mentioning looking forward to using it on their GNP 12.2s.

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Randall, I'll pass on the waiting list thing as they want too much personal info. I heard that the beta does not work in landscape view but only works in portrait view. That's why it won't work on our wonderful tablet. I do most of my work in landscape view as that is the native view and more like a desktop view. MS seems to have forgotten that there are some big tablets out there that need the landscape view.

It works just fine in landscape view, at least on the Nexus 10. In fact, the little I've used it was only in landscape view.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just sideloaded the preview versions on my 12.2, and at first blush they work very nicely. I'll go so far as to say that they look great, remarkably like the desktop versions.

(They're sideloaded because the GNP 12.2 isn't officially supported for this preview, so I installed them on my Nexus 7, first.)

Posted via Android Central App

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
mkhall that is encouraging. I assume you have to have another device to 'sideload' which I don't have. Wonder why another poster on another forum said it doesn't work in landscape mode?

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 (2012) which I am also using to test the new Office; it was the source of the sideloading.

The standard Mobile Office only works in portrait mode, so I'm assuming that's what the other person was talking about.

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I hope it is much better than the phone version. Hoping it is on pay with the more seasoned office apps that work well, such as hanscom, or office suite.

Adoga

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hancom is a great app, I use it daily and I'm able to edit any word or excel file. Office suite is great too but I use Hancom the most. I really don't care about ms office on android. Their free Remote desktop was also not optimized for 12.2 so I use 2X RDP instead - works great. No one cares to optimize anything for our 12.2, I think we are alone.

Last edited:

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I was told that you can't test the beta if you are running lollipop, so I told them to count me out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Even running stock OS, our Note Pro 12.2 doesn't seem to be able to run the beta MS Office yet. For some reason MS thinks people want to do excel and word processing on little 4inch screens when it would be much better suited for larger tablets. What are they thinking?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hancom is a great app, I use it daily and I'm able to edit any word or excel file. Office suite is great too but I use Hancom the most. I really don't care about ms office on android. Their free Remote desktop was also not optimized for 12.2 so I use 2X RDP instead - works great. No one cares to optimize anything for our 12.2, I think we are alone.

I find Hancom, and most of the others including Google Docs, Sheets, etc. useless for most of my work. I do most of my paperwork via Macro enabled templates (docm). Hancom and others with the exception of Kingsoft can't even recognize the docm files. Those few that do recognize them can't open them. Kingsoft being the exception in that it can open docm files but using them for data entry is pretty much non-existent . So I am very much interested in having a real MS Office Android Suite.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Even running stock OS, our Note Pro 12.2 doesn't seem to be able to run the beta MS Office yet. For some reason MS thinks people want to do excel and word processing on little 4inch screens when it would be much better suited for larger tablets. What are they thinking?

They haven't approved it for testing purposes yet, but it does run on the GNP. The only problems I've had (which weren't shared by users of approved devices) turned out to be related to SwiftKey.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Golly Mkhall, I sure got to hand it to you. You seem to be the only one that can get it to run. Others say it doesn't work. I wonder what the difference is in the tablets between yours and theirs. Can you get macros to work in Excel?

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Golly Mkhall, I sure got to hand it to you. You seem to be the only one that can get it to run. Others say it doesn't work. I wonder what the difference is in the tablets between yours and theirs. Can you get macros to work in Excel?

I'm a writer, so I haven't needed to do much more with Excel than launch it. (Math is hard.) But I'll see what I can do.

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
The Office preview now officially supports screens larger than 10". I was able to download it directly from the Play store to my 12.2. Previosly, it showed that it was unsupported. I never got around to side loading it, and now I don't need to.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The Office preview now officially supports screens larger than 10". I was able to download it directly from the Play store to my 12.2. Previosly, it showed that it was unsupported. I never got around to side loading it, and now I don't need to.

Do you have a direct link? I tried finding it in the Play Store on my 12.2 and it doesn't show up as if it isn't available for the tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34