Lookout Security and Clean Master

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have both of these apps installed and they seem to be working fine. My question is do they fight each other to get the same job done. I know they don't do the exact same functions but several functions are the same. My main concern is antivirus. Both apps check downloads etc for viruses. Is it overkill to have double check? Clean Master always tells me Lookout is causing CPU to run hot and I should unistall it. I don't know if this is true or just a way to take business from Lookout.
Is anyone else using either or both apps? What's your experience with them? Are there other apps that do the same and better?
I like them both for what they do. Let me hear from other users.

Posted via Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't believe in antivirus for android period. Mobile devices are processor limited as it is and given that they are mobile and cloud centric I see no reason to protect mine. Installing such products brings some functional benefits sure (Cleanup tools for example) but the increased overhead they produce in terms of processing resources and battery consumption isn't worth it.

I root all of my devices and install third party applications all of the time. The key for me is researching the background of applications and their reviews to determine if I can trust them and giving strong consideration to the permissions they ask for.

Question is what kinds of infections are you afraid of and from where? Are you side loading applications to avoid paying for them or for root functionality type stuff? Imo the greater risk is in making poor web surfing choices or trying to install shady applications to avoid paying for things (since typically more viruses and malware are found this way).

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you muzzy996. As always you're right to the point. I like that. I haven't rooted my tablet as I'm not as bright as I like to think I am and don't even know why I would root. I download from reputable sites and stay away from not so reputable websites. If I want to check a site, I'll use my 10 inch tab.
As far as viruses, I don't really worry about them. Not sure why I have those 2 apps. I am anal about keeping an eye on my tablet, so losing it is not likely (that's why I first got Lookout).
I might just go ahead and remove them and see if there is a performance difference

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Based on your usage I doubt that you have anything to worry about, but yeah see how things are without the two. I use cleansweep too but only to clean up things on occasion so I'll install it, run it and then uninstall it. I'd say I do this once every 2-3 weeks or so, perhaps longer.

Maybe you could do the same and drop to just the anti-virus app.

I've only recently started learning to leave cache alone as much as possible. I used to be a frequent cache cleaner but finally realized that cache is important for fast performance so cleaning it out too often is counterproductive.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I found them both to be more bother than help. Clean Master doesn't do anything useful in an Android OS because the OS works best of the ROM is in close to full use. LookOut, once I downloaded the free upgrade caused all kinds of issues and wasn't useful at all. There are so many better security options if you choose to use a security program IMO.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you beh. What other security programs do you suggest? I'm open to looking at others.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you beh. What other security programs do you suggest? I'm open to looking at others.

I have used Vipre on my phones and tablets because I have used it for years on my PCs. But the company that owns Vipre spun the mobile app off into a separate company which has slow tech support and the mobile app tends to take up a lot of phone resources. It is a very good program and is a subscription service of about $20.00/yr. though there is a free version with fewer options.
I am currently using BitDefender a program from a company owned by Mircrosoft. It is also a subscription service of about $20.00/yr. though again I believe there is a free version with less options. In a recent testing by security software rating outfit it rated very high.
I have also used the Timelook beta app. It is a good program and most highly rated for protection but it has absolutely no tech support and is a beta so it has issues. This program rated #1 in the above-mentioned testing because it actually scans the complete code of every program not just the signatures. But it also is a resource hog on some phones as reported to me from several of my friends.

airsue

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I have both of these apps installed and they seem to be working fine. My question is do they fight each other to get the same job done. I know they don't do the exact same functions but several functions are the same. My main concern is antivirus. Both apps check downloads etc for viruses. Is it overkill to have double check? Clean Master always tells me Lookout is causing CPU to run hot and I should unistall it. I don't know if this is true or just a way to take business from Lookout.
Is anyone else using either or both apps? What's your experience with them? Are there other apps that do the same and better?
I like them both for what they do. Let me hear from other users.

airsue

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I have the same exact problem. Though I am thinking of deleting the lookout app because I have cleanmaster and it does a great job. Maybe you should do the same also if your phone is always getting hot also. Why have 2 of the same apps

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Clean Master is snake oil. You are making your phone (android) work harder. Task killers are not needed anymore.

Lookout will slow your phone down. If you need protection, use Malwarebytes.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge/524403-clean-master-app-android.html

On Lookout is really good, I have had an account with them four two years or however long they've been out aND every so often they five you a premium for free instead of having to pay for it. I have the free account for lookout btw no problems as opposed to what the others are saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret