Which office app for Note Pro 12.2?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Depends on your needs. For basic editing Hancom works great but if you do a lot of business report writing with mixed content, embedded objects and track changes or commenting for collaboration then it falls short. I have yet to find something that works great for me. Hancom gets on my nerves a lot when I'm in a meeting trying to pull up an email attachment and Hword decides it needs to download an update.

I have high hopes for Microsoft but time will tell.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I sure agree with Muzzy on this issue. Hancom always seems to want to download a font package that takes forever just when you need to get to some data at a board meeting. I sure hope the long awaited MS office for android doesn't do that.

petercohen

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I sure agree with Muzzy on this issue. Hancom always seems to want to download a font package that takes forever just when you need to get to some data at a board meeting. I sure hope the long awaited MS office for android doesn't do that.

Isn't it available already? I think it is called Microsoft Office Mobile.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope, it's in beta. I know you're actively looking on the various forums for a way to load it but I can tell you that at least from my experience with the version 15 build of it things weren't completely stable. Eventually it will be out I guess but I think it's reasonable to assume that priority is being given to larger market segments.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Another option is to remote into a real PC via RDP or VNC and use a full blown version of Office. I use Jump for this and it works very well.

Last edited:

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I used to use Hancom just for viewing, but I never liked it for editing. I would just remote into a desktop to use full MS Office. Now for most of my needs I use the Excel preview (beta, build 16) and I'm very happy with it. The main down side is the stylus doesn't currently work at all in Excel (works in the other office apps). It has significantly reduced how often I remote into a desktop.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's an update on availability.

Office preview for Android now available on Google Play

There are still a couple of conditions attached to the preview builds though. Firstly, Office is still limited to ARM-based Android tablets with a screen size between 7 and 10.1 inches. Your tablet will also need to be running KitKat or Lollipop versions of Android, so users on Jelly Bean or earlier are out of luck.

Still no love for 12 inch tablets.

Additionally:

Ferd Nesler • 4 hours ago
It seems like these are for editing only. It looks like you have to have a 365 account to do any saving and editing. Not much use to me.

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Still no love for 12 inch tablets.

That article has incorrect information. Here's the text from Microsoft's email on December 17th when they started supporting the 12.2 with the preview release:

"Support for large screen displays! We are excited to add support for Android Tablets with display’s larger than 10” this week."

It was after this release that Google Play started to show the app as supported on the Note Pro 12.2

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That article has incorrect information. Here's the text from Microsoft's email on December 17th when they started supporting the 12.2 with the preview release:

"Support for large screen displays! We are excited to add support for Android Tablets with display’s larger than 10” this week."

It was after this release that Google Play started to show the app as supported on the Note Pro 12.2

Good to know!

I'll check it out when I get the chance.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I loaded office from my phone onto my Note Pro and it is very disappointing. If MS would like to keep up in their own software, they need to at least do as well as the competition in this area.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I loaded office from my phone onto my Note Pro and it is very disappointing. If MS would like to keep up in their own software, they need to at least do as well as the competition in this area.

When you say "from my phone onto my Note Pro" what exactly do you mean and what's disappointing about it?

I haven't started working with it yet since I don't have an Office 365 subscription but from what I can tell it's not bad. At least my biggest complaint of Hancom is addressed which is the track changes and comments support being substandard.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It's important to remember that the phone and tablet versions are completely different. Sideloading from your phone - particularly the older version - isn't the same experience at all.

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I hope the tablet will be much better than the side loaded phone version. I use a lot of office and the office area is the only area lacking. I also hope that you do not have to have an office 365 account for full benefits of it.

Posted via Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I hope the tablet will be much better than the side loaded phone version. I use a lot of office and the office area is the only area lacking. I also hope that you do not have to have an office 365 account for full benefits of it.

Posted via Android Central App

Welcome to the 21st century . . subscription services for software that really isn't going to change much . . To get editing features you'll need an Office 365 account.

I don't mind paying Adobe for Creative Cloud. They update their software frequently and their major updates often contain new features. With Microsoft though there really hasn't been anything earth shattering about the progress made in MS Word for example . . . You'd think by now things would have evolved such that Word became a true publication capable tool but no . . it's still as difficult as ever to work with mixed content within it.

It's really going to be hard for me to click that button to subscribe to Office 365 Home for $10/mo but if its something I have to do to really get full functionality out of my tablet then I'm going to do it and see how things go . .

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind paying a fee for service, like Dropbox or Netflix. You get a service by paying for it, but a monthly subscriptions for an end product is something else entirely. But when the product is so ingrained into everything, they can force it onto the public at least a shirt time, but a lot of companies are going the way of continuous payment for an end product!

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The fact that the public beta requires an Office 365 subscription kills it for me. I could have had that for the past year or two on my tablets. If the final release version is not completely stand alone I will simply have to keep the PC laptop for doing real work. :^(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke