Which microSD card to get: Sandisk or Samsung?

dyiddo

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hey everybody ...

Quick question: which is better ... SanDisk Ultra 128GB or the Samsung 128GB EVO?
I've been deciding for days, but I still can't make up my mind.

I want something that lasts long and is fast.
Samsung is samsung, especially with the tablet ... and sandisk is also reputable but has that 10 year warranty.

Please help. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! They're both probably fine, but Sandisk has the edge on reputation. Whichever one you get, make sure you get it from a reputable store that has a good return policy. If you get it from some random online retailer, you run more risk of getting a counterfeit card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are only 2 manufacturers of the chips in SD cards - Samsung and SanDisk. Everyone else buys from them. (Whether they're getting prime chips or "almost as good" is anyone's guess.)

SanDisk is an easy company to deal with. Their site includes a live chat on the tech support page, so if you have a problem, you can talk to someone within a few minutes. They also answer their emails quickly. (I asked a question on a Sunday evening, and got an answer before lunch on Monday.) The warranty is "no questions" - it doesn't work, they'll replace it. (I heard once that they replaced a counterfeit card, because it was so good that they couldn't tell it was counterfeit until they read it electronically - the packaging it came in and the detail on the card were perfect.)

Samsung may be just as good, but I've always bought SanDisk. They've been in the business since 1988, and have come out with some of the innovations we currently consider part of an SD card. I have some of their cards that are so small they're useless today (32MB was a lot of storage back then), but they still work. In fact, the only card I've ever had a problem with was one I broke physically. (The outer casing is broken. The card still works if I'm very careful inserting it. But it's an 8GB card, so it's not worth the effort to even ask them to replace it.) When Samsung messed up and their phone ate SD cards, SanDisk came out with a fix so their cards would work in Samsung's phones. I like a company like that.

As far as which is better, Ultra or EVO? They're both names for U1, a Class 10 card. (That's the speed measure.) Either one is fine, as long as you're not recording 4k video - then you'd need a U3 card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781