Why most chargers don't work

Michaeljc702

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I have tried pretty much every charger I have (which is like 10) and bought a couple new ones and none seem to charge the 12.2 without it being off. Is that because it requires 5.3v instead of 5v?

I even tried my Asus Tranformer 15v charger and it charges very slowly. It take it that is because it is 1.2A instead of 2A?

Not that the Samsung chargers are that expensive to buy, but I was trying to get a 2 port charger that would charge my phone and tablet at the same time.

Also, does using a USB 3.0 cable vs USB 2.0 cable change the charging time? The cable that came with my tablet didn't work at all and I am using a 2.0 cable.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have tried pretty much every charger I have (which is like 10) and bought a couple new ones and none seem to charge the 12.2 without it being off. Is that because it requires 5.3v instead of 5v?

I even tried my Asus Tranformer 15v charger and it charges very slowly. It take it that is because it is 1.2A instead of 2A?

Not that the Samsung chargers are that expensive to buy, but I was trying to get a 2 port charger that would charge my phone and tablet at the same time.

Also, does using a USB 3.0 cable vs USB 2.0 cable change the charging time? The cable that came with my tablet didn't work at all and I am using a 2.0 cable.
It has to be a charger capable of putting out enough current (2 amps). Many multiple port chargers do not support high current output on all of their ports simultaneously so when purchasing one its important to be aware of the wattage rating. A charger that has a wattage rating that is around 10 watts per port is probably going to work fine. This is just rule of thumb.

Here is what I use :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4653455

It doesn't do Qualcomm fast charging for the newer devices but it will change 4 devices at 2 amps. I usually charge an iPhone 5, my Note Pro, a Nexus 4, a Note 4 and an external battery pack nightly with this unit without issue.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Michaeljc702

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a different Anker and it doesn't seem to work, even with the tablet the only thing plugged in:

It says it is 20w, 2.4A per port. I won't let me post the link. It has IQ tech that supposedly regulates the power to each port and gives the right amperage.

Michaeljc702

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I used Gsam battery monitor. I guess it does charge with the Anker. It says it is getting about 650mah. With the Samsung charger it is more like 1500 mah though, so I imagine it will take much longer.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind about charge rates is that they'll change based upon the voltage of the battery and different power supplies will also act differently in this regard when it comes to charge rates at certain voltages. Evaluating charge rate between different chargers ends up being a bit of a challenge as a result, especially when CPU and GPU are ramping up and down based on applications running. Going into airplane mode and then jumping back and forth between chargers is basically the best one can do in this regard.

Since you're testing using GSAM, what are your personal observations with regards to stock USB 3.0 cable vs a USB 2.0 cable? For me I don't see much of a difference unless I use a crappy cable.

I will say this . . it has been my observation that heavy video stream decoding over wifi with screen brightness at a moderate or high level can result in a net loss in battery even with the stock charger/cable combination.

Michaeljc702

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind about charge rates is that they'll change based upon the voltage of the battery and different power supplies will also act differently in this regard when it comes to charge rates at certain voltages. Evaluating charge rate between different chargers ends up being a bit of a challenge as a result, especially when CPU and GPU are ramping up and down based on applications running. Going into airplane mode and then jumping back and forth between chargers is basically the best one can do in this regard.

Since you're testing using GSAM, what are your personal observations with regards to stock USB 3.0 cable vs a USB 2.0 cable? For me I don't see much of a difference unless I use a crappy cable.

I will say this . . it has been my observation that heavy video stream decoding over wifi with screen brightness at a moderate or high level can result in a net loss in battery even with the stock charger/cable combination.

Oddly enough, I bought 2 different refurbed of these tablets and neither charged with the included cable. I thought they were both defective and even sent one back. When I tried the charger with a USB 2.0 cable, it did charge. Odd that 2 cables would be defective. So, I have never tried with a 3.0 cable since I haven't replaced the original one.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't matter your tablet is on or off, it should charge normally. I believe it's more likely you have a cracked battery connector.
Use this tool , it can tell your tablet is charging, current should be 1.7 Amps, under 1 Amp when nearly full.

usb voltage current meter tester | eBay

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Oddly enough, I bought 2 different refurbed of these tablets and neither charged with the included cable. I thought they were both defective and even sent one back. When I tried the charger with a USB 2.0 cable, it did charge. Odd that 2 cables would be defective. So, I have never tried with a 3.0 cable since I haven't replaced the original one.
When your USB charging port only take the USB 2.0 cable but not the USB 3.0, it's defective. A new USB charging flex cable is only around $12 and replace it quite easy.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Is your tablet Exynos or Qualcomm? The Exynos tablets take forever to charge and it has nothing to do with amperage-in. I went from a Exynos N10.1-14 to a S-800 Note 12 and the latter, in spite of its much larger battery, gets from zero to fully charged faster. In terms of the charger, it might be the USB cord you're using. I got an angled USB cord to charge my N10.1-14 in its stand and charging time increased about 30%. And that's connected to a Samsung wall charger.

It takes the N10.14 seven hours to fully charge. The Note 12 has a 15% larger battery so normal charging time would be eight hours.

Note 10.1 2014 charging.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney