Calendar Help

ThomasJ2352

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure this has been answered many times but I cant find a "search this forum" button so here goes:
running an smp900a (very dissapointed with it...another story) working with the calendar that came with the OS install....is there any way of importing .ICS files into it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the tablet's Calendar app has an import function. Any reason why you don't sync the tablet? If you don't, and if something happens to the tablet, then you'll lose all of that information, without it being backed up or synced anywhere.

ThomasJ2352

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Never really thouht of it...never had a need...until now.....guess I dont keep overly important stuff on it...I did have to do a couple
full reloads that wiped everything off and the biggest hassle were the bookmarks being gone. What calendar will I need to run
on the pc to enable a transfer?
thanks for your help...greatly appreciated

Posted via the Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Where are the ics files coming from? Email attachments?

For me I use Google calendars and I'll use a third party application called aquamail for email. Any meeting invites I accept will show up in my Google calendar. On both my note 4 and pro I use the stock calendar app to sync with Google calendar. Works great for me and I never use a computer to sync my devices for backups, I just let the cloud storage do its job.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
muzzy996 has some good ideas, but I just use Google Calendar on the web. As long as you have your tablet set to sync your Google Calendar when it's connected to the web, then everything will stay current. No need to connect physically to your PC.

ThomasJ2352

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions....a couple comments....
1) The .ICS files are downloaded from web sites (I downloaded a couple from a motorcycle events page....I thought rather than
fat-finger the info into the local calendar just do an import....)
2) If I dont want to use some type of cloud calendar it sounds like the only option is to use my local laptop and try to sync the
calendars (haven't been successful yet.....have already wasted many hours)
3) Seems to me that doing an import into the resident calendar shouldn't be a big deal....would it be different if I paid $ for a
higher end application?

thanks
tom

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You seem reluctant to use a cloud-based calendar, like Google Calendar. Are you concerned about privacy? The convenience of accessing your information anywhere you can log into your Google account can be very liberating. I also usually recommend using a cloud-based service like Google's because if you rely on just syncing only with your computer, then you run a much greater risk of losing data (if something goes wrong with the tablet, the computer, or both). Remember that flash storage and hard drives are not 100% reliable forever--they can fail, or files can get corrupted. We see a LOT of posts here from people who lost all of their contacts, calendar events, or photos, because that was all just locally stored, and they hadn't had time (or hadn't bothered) to back it up anywhere.

ThomasJ2352

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
B. Diddy...thank you for your information....never really considered doing the cloud thing...guess I am a bit
reluctant because of the privacy issue...then again whatever info I put out there via browser or email, privacy
shouldn't be expected. Guess if I dont go that way I'm tied to the laptop that I rarely use :(
Thanks again