How is the S Pen pressure sensitivity on the Note Pro (and Tab A 9.7)?

A

AC Question

S Pen pressure sensitivity on Note Pro (and Tab A 9.7)

Am trying to get a tablet for drawing. I have the Note 3 and did some drawing in SketchBook for Galaxy. Can't get used to drawing on such small surface, so I had my eyes on the Note Pro and Tab A 9.7.

My other gripe with Note 3 is the amount of strength needed to trigger a brush stroke. It require quite an amount of pressure to actually register a stroke, which is way too heavy to my preference. (Equivalent to a stroke that would went through the drawing paper, causing traces on the paper beneath)

I used to do sketches on papers with pencil by apply light touch - similar to just touching the S Pen on the surface of the Note (I'd estimate that to be 20%~30% strength required to actually register a stroke in SketchBook). I'm looking for that kind of touch feeling.

By the amount of force I have to apply to the S Pen on my Note 3, 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity has become plain nonsense - the tip will just gotten pressed all the way to max level. Maybe I can really get the hang of the kind of force to apply to get better pressure sensitivity with hours of practice, but I really am looking for a real nice light touched pen experience.

My questions are:

1) Has the Note Pro have any improvement on the pressure sensitivity (in the aspect I described above) compared to the Note 3?

2) My friend who has visited a Samsung showroom has told me that Tab A (and Note 5) has real nice light touch sensitivity. I have yet to experience that (will be visiting a Samsung shop later to try it out). Is that true? I have let him tried out the S Pen on my Note 3, and he remains firm on the ground of his statement.

3) Does the Note Pro ever going to (or already gotten) upgrade to Lollipop?

4) Any news of any improved/new Note Pro models coming over the horizon? (Note Pro has been listed as discontinued in my country)

A few notes, I am not a professional artist, just a hobbyist, so I'd consider the lower spec Tab A with S Pen as well. However, I've found a Note Pro at a slightly higher (stock clearance) price compared to the Tab A. The more powerful Note Pro is really attractive.

I don't mind if the Note Pro is a discontinued product, but I do wish the Note Pro will be upgraded to Lollipop, since I've already gotten used to it on my Note 3.

Thanks for any feedback.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: S Pen pressure sensitivity on Note Pro (and Tab A 9.7)

Since the sensitivity of the S-pen is important to you I honestly think you should try to use a Note Pro at a retail outlet somewhere to really get a feel for it yourself rather than relying on the subjective observations of others. That's my advice.

As for the Tab A I can't really understand the comparison being made . . Tab A is capacitive, sensitivity isn't something one can even compare against an active stylus unit like a Note series device.

Lollipop has rolled out on some variants of the Note Pro. Personally I'm using a custom Lollipop ROM on an SM-P900 wifi model in the US.

geekman1024

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site

(I'm the OP who asked the question, don't know why the system logged me as a Guest)

You are right, Tab A is capacitive... I only realized that after digging deeper on it's spec somewhere other than Samsung's website, after reading your reply.

I guess that also explains why my friend said Tab A has no pressure sensitivity issue like my Note 3 did -- he just tried some writing and signature on the Tab A (he isn't someone could do drawing well).

I'll go for the Note Pro then. Best and only choice. :D

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Check out the Note 2014 edition too...

Posted via the Android Central App

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

I've done sketching on my Note Pro with no issues. You can adjust the sensitivity in good apps and I believe on the pen itself.

Mind-Objects

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I checked the Tab A - but the screen resolution with 1024 x 768 pixels is really really low. A no go for me. So I bought a NotePro - slightly more expensive, but even if it might not get an update to Android 6 it is the best tablet with a pen for my use (pen and productivity apps).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad