Google Play Books and PDF Files

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I use Google Play Books on my tablet and have upwards of 50 books on it. All my books have download without any problems. I also have upload from internal memory about a dozen pdf files. They are actually brochures from my company that I use for presentations with my clients. Until just a few days ago when I uploaded a pdf to books, the front page would show, with the file name under it, in my library in Google Play Books. Now all I get is a two tone gray book shaped silhouette with the file name displayed underneath it. When I open the file the front page displays on my screen as it should so my brochures are uploading fine. I know this is not a major issue but I do like to have my brochures displayed on my business homescreen so I can find them easily when I'm with a client. I believe this started when the Play Store 6.0 update came through. I have purchased 2 books since the update and they display fine. Anyone else having this issue?

Posted via Android Central App

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Update
I uninstalled Play Store 6.0 and installed older version. I uploaded a pdf that I uploaded yesterday and got the same results. Couldn't find anything in settings.
Apologies. I didn't look in app manager for version number. It is still 6.0 but has the old look to it. To much sinus medicine. Can't think straight

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You note uninstalling Play STORE but did you mean BOOKS? Only thing I can think of is clear cache for play books and see if that helps . . . short of that, clear cache for both play store and play books. Failing that, clear data for play books (knowing that it will NUKE all of your books off of the tablet so plan accordingly). If all of that fails I have to wonder if Google changed how personally uploaded books are rendered . . I don't use the app so I can't help much more than that but those would be my troubleshooting steps if it were me.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks muzzy996. I'll give those a try. I meant Play Store not books. I uninstalled, reinstalled, opened it and it looked like the old version (prior to 6.0) but when I went to app manager it still showed 6.0. I'll try all the cache clearing etc. Not a problem if I remove books from tablet. They're easy to download again. I agree with you on the change Google may have made. Kind of pointless if they did.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Cleared cache in Play Store and Play Books. I went to Google Books via desktop website using Chrome browser and not Play Store. Found my books and all the covers are there. I tried a few refreshes but nothing. Sent feedback to Google. We'll see

AllanPen

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I just discovered something and thought I'd share it. I had a pdf magazine that I wanted to put on my Moto X Play with Android marshmellow. I tried putting it on my SD card in the Downloads folder; no dice. I tried Google Drive; Reponce "Oops this could not be downloaded". I have Microsoft's OneDrive; so I tried it there and presto. It gave me the option to save and I did; then the option to open with OneDrive's pdf viewer, which worked like a charm.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't know how but my problem has been solved. The cover page on my uploaded from pdf books are now showing like before. I reloaded the ones that had only a gray cover and the actual cover page is showing like it's supposed to. I must have traveled through the Android triangle!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2