NotePro 12.2 Reliability?

sers99

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello all, newbie here.

After owning iPads since the original and looking to upgrade, I was dead set on getting the iPad Pro due mainly to the larger screen and increased performance. However, after playing around with it after a while, I became disinterested in it mainly to the fact that it doesn't do anything appreciably different than my iPad 4, other than it's a lot quicker and has a bigger display.

As a result, I decided to look around and came across the NotePro 12.2. I picked one up and started to play around with it and have found that I'm really enjoying this thing, despite it being an almost 2 year old device. I love the fact that you can hook up mice, USB drives, expand it's storage, create additional user accounts, and that it's almost half the price of the iPad Pro. It's definitely not as quick as the Pro, but I think it's quick enough for most tasks.

However, after doing some research on it, I've become concerned with its long-term reliability, due mainly to cracked batter connectors, BSOD, etc. I know iPads aren't immune from hardware issues either, but the NotePro seems to fare worse.

My questions are: is the NotePro 12.2 a reliable device? Has Samsung dealt with the cracked battery connector issue? Will it still be useable / supported after 3 years? My previous iPads have all been rock solid and have never given me any trouble hardware wise. Can the same be said of the NotePro? Do most users experience hardware problems?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can't speak for the 12.2 one, but I owned a 10.1 and it never had issues. Great battery life, never a problem with connectors or cracks and it was still running and being updated when I got rid of it one year later (got the Tab S 10.5, and while I loooooove the AMOLED screen, I miss the SPen dearly...but my addiction is being quenched a bit with the Note 5, so not terrible).

My only concern with the Note 12.2 would be that if you get an 'old' unit, the battery might not be what it would have been a year ago or when it first came out of the factory. That and updates. I really hope they update the Note line this year with a TabS-like design. Then I'd be the first in line at the store hehe

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the Note Pro 12.2 LTE AT&T version and it has Lollipop 5.1.1. It was bought November 2014 and has zero issues. It is still fast, has no blue screens, no flickering, or any charging issues. It looks as new as when it was first taken out of the box. Obviously I can only speak of my experience but my recommendation is to buy it new so that you get a full warranty and the peace of mind knowing you have not acquired a previous owner's tablet issues.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a WiFi only 12.2 and have owned it for over a year. My employer provided me with an iPad Air. In every way I find the Note Pro to be easier to use (especially for remote desktop) and the only issue I've had was the 3rd party Bluetooth keyboard/mouse problem with the initial 5.01 update.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Satisfied with my Wifi version, especially since I can root and modify it as I see fit. Currently running Civato's ROM and tweaked that a little bit to make things work how I like.

If I were you I'd wait until after CES just to see if Samsung has anything in store for their tablet lineup.

sers99

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking about that but I can pick one up now at a fairly decent price. They are being discounted. I'm sure a new model would cost a lot more.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about that but I can pick one up now at a fairly decent price. They are being discounted. I'm sure a new model would cost a lot more.

It would, definitely. BUT trust me, if a new version comes out with AMOLED, it would be worth it. That and the updated internals, obviously. Plus having Marshmallow already on board, which means you can finally use the SD card for actual memory expansion and not just extra files.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Where's the fun in that??!! haha

CES is in January (Officially 6-9, but companies begin announcing stuff a couple days earlier). HOWEVER the latest Note tablet model was announced in September and released in October, which also coincides a little with the Tab S and Tab S2 release timeframes, sooooo... we might not see a tablet refresh until later in the year.

lexidium

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I've had mine for quite a while and never had any trouble with it.
If you read enough forums about anything, you will hear about problems but that's why they are writing in. The untold numbers who don't have any difficulties, don't write and say that.
You could be one of the unlucky ones of course but that's true of anything you buy . . . . .
I help out my friend in his PC repair shop and I've seen more faulty Ipads than you can shake a stick at!

Traylaw

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I have both a Note Pro 10.1 and 12.2. Wife and I use them heavily every day for over a year with no problems what so ever. Granted they are getting a little long in the tooth but if you pick up a new one for a cheap price I think you will be happy with it. I would avoid any one that is factory refurbished. The reason I say this is that too many are returned with intermittent problems that can't be reproduced in the service shop and are shipped out refurbished.

About the only thing I didn't like was Samsung's UI TouchWiz, but that's one of the nice things about Android, If you don't like something you can change it. I prefer Nova launcher for a UI.

Last edited:

sers99

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
So far I've been having fun with the notepro. I'm rea'ly enjoying it, especially Nova Launcher. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the browsing performance. It's really slow compared to an iPad and I find the tabs reload quite often. I've looked at other browsers, but always go back to Chrome as it seems to perform the best. Is there anything I could do to increase its performance?

Traylaw

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
In Chrome you can try turning off "Data Saving" mode. It is turned on by default, and is useful for phones with data plans and slow internet connections. For tablets using wifi and high speed internet it slows down page loading a bit since the data is being routed thru google's servers first where the data gets compressed before sending to you.

Posted via the Android Central App

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, newbie here.

After owning iPads since the original and looking to upgrade, I was dead set on getting the iPad Pro due mainly to the larger screen and increased performance. However, after playing around with it after a while, I became disinterested in it mainly to the fact that it doesn't do anything appreciably different than my iPad 4, other than it's a lot quicker and has a bigger display.

As a result, I decided to look around and came across the NotePro 12.2. I picked one up and started to play around with it and have found that I'm really enjoying this thing, despite it being an almost 2 year old device. I love the fact that you can hook up mice, USB drives, expand it's storage, create additional user accounts, and that it's almost half the price of the iPad Pro. It's definitely not as quick as the Pro, but I think it's quick enough for most tasks.

However, after doing some research on it, I've become concerned with its long-term reliability, due mainly to cracked batter connectors, BSOD, etc. I know iPads aren't immune from hardware issues either, but the NotePro seems to fare worse.

My questions are: is the NotePro 12.2 a reliable device? Has Samsung dealt with the cracked battery connector issue? Will it still be useable / supported after 3 years? My previous iPads have all been rock solid and have never given me any trouble hardware wise. Can the same be said of the NotePro? Do most users experience hardware problems?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Cheers.
I bought my note pro in March 2015. Today is May 2016 and the tablet performs absolutely flawlessly.
It is running lollipop, as long as individual apps are updated constantly I'm ok with the tablet not running the latest operating system.

But if Samsung updated the note pro 12.2 with the latest and greatest I would get another one in a heartbeat.

a6e6286a452ae33b7d3e81f8ed879c01.jpg

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I got my wifi only version in February 2015 and have used it every single day since then and it works great. I rarely even turn on my PC any more except to update it every few months or the occasional time I need to do something I can't on my tablet. My usage varies from a few minutes to a few hours every single day.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Carlo Villa, does your car sit next to you, get bored, then put their paw on the screen to change things? Mine does then looks at me with an expression that says "so what are you gonna do about that?". Then she goes back to sleep. Sassy little cat.

The Fatyank