I keep getting the message "update system temporarily unavailable" when trying to manually update from 4.2. I read that some people got it through Kies, but that says it is incompatible with my device (VZ model). Any suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-16-2016 09:43 AM
    I would expect that Verizon would have already pushed the update to you if the tablet is still activated on Verizon. If no longer activated, that may be more of a headache.
    01-16-2016 03:21 PM
    Do you know if there is any way to update it without activating it on Verizon ? I just want to use it on wifi.

Thanks.

01-16-2016 06:07 PM
    Maybe update via Kies using a PC?

Firmware for Samsung SM-P905V - SamMobile

Wish I could walk you through it but it's not something I do (I'm on a wifi variant and use custom ROMs insead).
    01-17-2016 01:36 AM
    Do you know if there is any way to update it without activating it on Verizon ? I just want to use it on wifi.

Thanks.

From my experience with Verizon you have to have a SIM installed and it has to be activated on the VZW system to allow update downloads. Both OTA and via VZW update via a PC cabled phone.
    01-21-2016 04:34 PM
    Aarrrgh! I have a refurb, unlocked, VZ Note, with an AT&T SIM card. I feel I'm left behind. I'd root and install a custom ROM but all I see on the process seems too complicated to take a risk on bricking the unit.
    01-21-2016 09:54 PM
    Aarrrgh! I have a refurb, unlocked, VZ Note, with an AT&T SIM card. I feel I'm left behind. I'd root and install a custom ROM but all I see on the process seems too complicated to take a risk on bricking the unit.
    You could go to a Verizon corp. store and purchase the basic data plan, update and setup your tablet using the activated VZW SIM card they provide and then cancel the data plan, paying for only 1 month.
    01-22-2016 12:16 PM
    Maybe update via Kies using a PC?

Firmware for Samsung SM-P905V - SamMobile

Wish I could walk you through it but it's not something I do (I'm on a wifi variant and use custom ROMs insead).
    BINGO!

Went to the SamMobile link above.

Here's a summary:

On PC

Download, extract, and install Odin through link at SamMobile
    Download and extract the firmware file at SamMobile. Note, You need to sign up with SamMobile before you can download. If you don't pay for a premium membership, the free download will take about 2 hours.
    Open Odin

On Tablet

Reboot in download mode per instructions. You should see Mr. Android and warning "Do not turn off target"

Together

Plug tablet into PC.
    You should see an entry pop up on the log in the lower left corner of the window.
    Click on AP and browse to the firmware downloaded.
    Click on Start.
    You should see entries pop up in the log. A bar will grow on the tablet. A rectangle in the upper left of the Odin window will have corresponding growing green.

When done, that same rectangle will say PASS.

Upgrade is great. I can now load Peel, the replacement for the defunct Smsung Watch On.

Thanks. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. With Odin on my PC, it should be relatively easy to upgrade to Marshmallow when it comes out,
    muzzy996 likes this.
    01-24-2016 08:59 PM