Galaxy Note - How to Root, Review Part 1, Pocketability demo

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've Rooted my Note using Odin, very simple like most Samsung devices. I've got a full guide here.

Basically flash netchips kernel for CWM in PDA in Odin and then flash a SU zip from recovery and you're done (if that isn't enough info for you then check the blog). Current drawback of this approach Vs the zergrush exploit is that you cannot return the Note to a factory state for warranty purposes (the flash counter remains elevated). This means your warranty is really, truly, borked. I'm sure someone will crack it soon, but for now this is the state of play.

Video also has bonus demo of the Note running the 'tegra-only' Shadowgun and outputting it via MHL to an external monitor and playing it with a PS3 controller!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYGX_fmyfDo[/YT]

Last edited:
Reactions: kharrigan

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Note - got mine, review soon! + how to root guide w/vi

Very cool!

Oh course, this makes me want one even more...! :'(

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean for resetting the binary flash counter to zero? Doesn't work with the jig in the Note.

There are now more Root methods and Chainfire has a great guide at XDA for how to Root and flash CF-Root kernel without increasing the count :)

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to read about the GNex and GNote comparisons. The only thing that I think the GNote is missing is ICS...

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has implemented many of the features highlighted in the ICS announcement and promised ICS update. Still, I may get a GNex also if I can renew my AT&T contract for a subsidized one.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just a minor point on the GNote being a "fail" on women's pant pockets... Most women seem to use purses to hold their phones unless they plan on not using a purse. Of course, YMMV. Besides, having a little "something something" sticking out of a pocket is kinda sexy, IMHO...

EDIT: Damn you, NZtechfreak! Now I REALLY want the GNote!!!

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry dude, I'm getting lots of flak at the moment for fanning the flames of peoples gadget lust :)

My next post won't make it easier for you either!

Kymiah Neleh

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've Rooted my Note using Odin, very simple like most Samsung devices. I've got a full guide here.

Basically flash netchips kernel for CWM in PDA in Odin and then flash a SU zip from recovery and you're done (if that isn't enough info for you then check the blog). Current drawback of this approach Vs the zergrush exploit is that you cannot return the Note to a factory state for warranty purposes (the flash counter remains elevated). This means your warranty is really, truly, borked. I'm sure someone will crack it soon, but for now this is the state of play.

Video also has bonus demo of the Note running the 'tegra-only' Shadowgun and outputting it via MHL to an external monitor and playing it with a PS3 controller!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYGX_fmyfDo[/YT]

RbbChan

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. It is as simple as that: flash in recovery the correct(according to your Romversion) philz kernel. No odin no other actions necessary. You can download the rooted kernel from xdaforum.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech