(Very) broken AutoCorrect...

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Do any of you have issues where your auto-correct will "fix" your typing by replacing it with seemingly random, non-existent words? My Telus Galaxy Note frequently does this, often in the middle of a word, creating new words by mashing 2 halves together. i.e. I just typed "dinner" and it replaced it with "Dinnerds"(Din+nerds?), and for example it might change "brother" and keep "bro" but change "ther" to "theory"... brotheory... yes... BTW, I am using the stock Samsung keyboard. Very, very frustrating and it seems to happen with non-stock keyboard apps too.

This seemed to happen a bit under Gingerbread, and I could be wrong but it seems significantly worse under ICS. AFAIK the mid-word mashup thing only started since the ICS update, and it happens a lot more than I'd like, regardless of what app I'm in. I thought at first it was just Kik and WhatsApp, but it does this anywhere I'm typing...

PS: I've even noticed it will sometimes "fix" words with total gibberish -- I've had words suddenly have numbers mixed into them. And yes, I have double-checked and confirmed that it is NOT me pressing any of the related keys..

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Way back, one of the word processors I used had a similar 'feature' that it added things to the dictionary if you didn't correct them. After a while spell check was ignoring lots of things but the pattern became clear that it was abbreviated words and last names, odd things. It took a while to figure out how to turn that darn thing off but I remember how frustrating that was. When I finally found the list of "user added to the dictionary" file, the list of odds and ends looked just like what you describe! It seems like your Note has picked up typos from the past and thought they were real words to be used as a dictionary to chose from. Since it's keyboard and not the app, yup, try this; Open your keyboard and hit the settings button. See if you have XT9 selected. Under the XT9 advanced settings, if you tap the XT9 my words, in my case there are all sorts of odd things in there! Misspellings and pieces of words that I think are from times when I've backed up and finished a word. I know the predictive text that often comes up seems to pick up mid word after I've backspaced. Oh good, I hit the menu button at the bottom left on the bezel and you get an option to delete, you can select all and get rid of all that junk! Hope this solves your problem!

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Do you by chance have multiple language packs installed?

(not a Note, but on my Streak) my wife speaks multiple languages due to her international family and so our phones have mutliple language packs installed. Sometimes i get autocorrects from those other langues mixed in. or sometimes i accidentally click over or forget to click back to English and get wierd autocorrects.

Quite possibly NOT your solution, but maybe worth a check.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21