Music Player Showing Duplicate Songs

jcllings

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, in that case the only answer is that there really are duplicates being created. Are both sets of files in the same format, i.e. *.mp3 or *.aac, etc.? In the olden days a ripping app would use one format as an intermediary for the actual destination format. For example *.wav was intermediary to *.mp3. Your ripping app might be doing something like this. Poke around on your drive and see what you can find.

Khaleel Khaafidh

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Your video was helpful getting to my issue, which was a bit different. I noticed that one file path had the name of an artist(Scarface) in it. Once I opened that folder I saw that there was a duplicate folder for ALL my music files created in it. Once I deleted it all duplicates were gone. Samsung should really address this issue. I thank you very much. Without your video I would NEVER have gotten to the bottom of this issue.

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here with some duplicates at times when copying/syncing music files from my PC.
I found under the extSdCard/music/_gsdata/_saved>some duplicate folders/files here and deleted those....DONE!
The PowerAmp music program now does not see these as duplicates any longer. Since it looks for music files under "Music" on the extsdcard it found these duplicates and listed them as well as the listings of Artists.

NOTE: I use a program for syncing called GoodSync and the _gsdata is probably a folder used by it, and so this won't likely apply to anyone else not using this program...but if you do, AND it works very nicely for syncing folders between your PC and Android.
Found this: Under Job in the GS PC program go to Options>Advanced and check "no _gsdata_folder on the Right side!!!

Last edited:

Wylambrew

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
My new HTC1 had same problem. I discovered that the sdcard has two directory trees ( second one is labelled .../legacy) pointing to the same data. My player (Poweramp - which is excellent!) had all folders selected to scan for music so it saw two versions of everything and loaded them into the library. I deselected all but a single ....../Music folder and the duplicates disappeared. Check your player for the folders used to source your music and ensure that only the folder(s) containing your music is selected. Cheers JB

amyloulou72

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
My new HTC1 had same problem. I discovered that the sdcard has two directory trees ( second one is labelled .../legacy) pointing to the same data. My player (Poweramp - which is excellent!) had all folders selected to scan for music so it saw two versions of everything and loaded them into the library. I deselected all but a single ....../Music folder and the duplicates disappeared. Check your player for the folders used to source your music and ensure that only the folder(s) containing your music is selected. Cheers JB

amyloulou72

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Well I found a solution to my problem on the phone for duplicate songs their is an app called Remove duplicate songs and it fixed in right up .Everytime I synced my phone to the computer it was placing them in their twice and also in my computer twice

jackjack258

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
It was the Amazon Kindle app. It was causing all sorts of other problems as well, like causing duplicate processes and services to run. I have uninstalled it and everything's good again. My phone's speed had reduced to a crawl, but it's back to normal now. This information is valid as of November 17th 2013.

Sakti irawan

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
i cant opened the video.... it said the video does not exist. having problem with note 2 , deleted the songs but it came back again.. really annoying... can anyone please help...

David2620

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I Have a Galaxy Siii. Same problem. I tried clearing the data and restarting. No change.
Solution: Use a different Music Player (Rocket Player).

I had similar problem with Kies too when syncing via USB cable (OUTLOOK contacts and calendar) ended up with duplicate contacts ad duplicate appointments. Still living with the outcomes of that, but dumped Kies in favour of Companionlink.
Concluded Samsung good at hardware but flaky at software.

WhattaDay

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm (realizing this is an older post) with my Galaxy Note 2 that the duplicates were in fact dummy files that would not play. Unmounted sd card, re-opened the music player and all of the bogus files appeared but not my actual music. Deleted everything in there from within the player app and then closed it. Re-mounted the sd card and now shows just my music, no bogus duplicates. I guess we'll see how long that lasts. I haven't ever had this issue until I tried a different ROM, didn't like it and then went back to the previous installation.

B00100100B

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
I signed up just to muddy the waters further. I noticed PLAYABLE duplicate songs a few weeks ago so I deleted all music using the phone and copied my music from my pc back onto the sd card.
I just now noticed playable duplicates again but only in bands starting with A and B?? Scrolled thru almost everything and couldnt find any other dupes. Most confusing.