Just noticed, the front camera viewfinder (a.k.a the screen) displays the image as a mirror, but the picture comes out normal. Shouldn't the viewfinder display normal image instead of mirror to capture the shot correctly? Or am I doing something wrong? You can set it to flip the photo but not the viewfinder?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    09-12-2013 03:36 AM
    The primary purpose of the front-facing camera is to use it as a mirror or to make video calls with (so it makes sense to treat it as a mirror as it would be disorienting if it didn't). If you're actually taking pictures, 99.99% of the time you'll be using the rear facing camera.

But if you take a picture with it, it does treat it like a normal camera (so the image flips). I don't see a setting on my GS3 to change this behavior.
    09-12-2013 06:56 AM
    Thanks EvilMonkey. Only reason I noticed it is I took a test pic of myself to show the wife how to do photo-editing and I left space for a speech bubble on the RHS, but on the picture it was on the LHS. It just seemed weird.
    09-12-2013 07:04 AM
    Yeah, I can see why you think it's weird. It makes sense though. If you think of it like a mirror, you would want your "reflection" to match you. Like if you raise your left hand, you would want the camera to act like a mirror (cause it would be odd if the mirror image was flipped). But if you take a picture, you don't want the picture coming out that it looks like you have your right-hand raised.

Anyways, that's how it's designed, and makes sense for what you are supposed to be using the front camera for (which is not necessarily actually taking a picture)
    09-12-2013 07:09 AM
    I'm sure I saw something on the app store a while ago that claims to turn your front camera into a mirror.

I bet that app did nothing at all :-)
    09-12-2013 07:16 AM
    I know that this is an old thread, but I just ran into an apparently unsolvable twist.

Google Goggles apparently senses that the camera in use is the "front" camera, which is "mirrored" That would be correct if a picture were taken for use in Goggles, but, when you provide Goggles with an Image from "Photos/Gallery" Goggles _reverses_ those images before it begins a Goggles Search... which fails, since it can't match the reversed image.

Any thoughts?

I vaguely remember that originally, the Nexus7 image was _not_ mirrored, but something came along where mirror was an option, and once mirrored, there is no apparent way to revert back to un mirrored.

Beverly Howard
    05-29-2015 06:58 PM
    Hi,
    Till yesterday what my front camera view finder in my moto x play was showing i was getting the same picture .But all of a sudden i am getting a reverse image.By default in moto camera it was not there.Please help how to change this
    03-25-2016 02:28 AM
    i want to see the real image on the front camera of my android phone. is there any apps?
    07-08-2016 03:17 PM

Just a friendly reminder 😊
    Javier P and bevhoward like this.
    07-29-2016 09:20 AM