OK so I finally, rooted my phone like most of you guys now is it best to uninstall or freeze the apps, this is what is suppose to make it faster correct?
    03-18-2012 08:03 PM
    Well uninstalling or freezing of apps only makes things faster if they are apps that are continuously running processes in the background. Otherwise it does clear up internal space for more apps and less clutter.

If you really want a faster running phone look into a custom kernel that has overclocking ability.

Concerning your first statement/question. You can uninstall the apps if your not worried about reinstalling them at a later date but I would save a backup of them on your sdcard just in case. I would also recommend making a Nandroid Backup before you do any modifications so in the event something goes wrong with something you do you can restore the backup.

Otherwise freezing the app with Titanium Backup or MyBackup will work also.
    precedentatl likes this.
    03-18-2012 08:08 PM
    Otherwise freezing the app with Titanium Backup or MyBackup will work also.

So freezing stops programs from running and makes it faster? And uninstalling frees up space for more apps or software? And a custom kernel is like a speed booster? am i correct?
    03-18-2012 08:26 PM
    Yes basically you got it...

Freezing the app will make things faster if its an app that normally likes to run in the background. Plus freezing gives you an easy option to unfreeze in the event you need the app.

Uninstalling, you got that.

Kernel.. Yes... Can do many different things depending on the kernel's properties/tweaks... Overclock (more speed/less battery life) Underclock (less speed/more battery life) undervolting (more battery life) along with many other little tweaks that the devs put in. (Too many to name)
    precedentatl likes this.
    03-18-2012 08:51 PM
    thanks you are a big help, but is this kernel thing a app i can just download?
    03-18-2012 09:07 PM
    thanks you are a big help, but is this kernel thing a app i can just download?
    You will need seek out a kernel made for your device and it gets flashed/installed through Clock work mod recovery.

Ask around to your fellow device owners here about custom kernels.
    Sent from my NS4G running Gingerbread on Tapatalk....
    03-18-2012 09:34 PM
    For the Precedent you basically have 2 choices for ROMs - the AreaROM Idiots Guide: Installing [ROM][STABLE]AreaRom v2.3 - Android Area51 or the Cyanogen ROM, modified by AreaROM [ROM] CyanogenMod 7.1.0 Unoffical Precedent Port - Android Area51

At the present time, the Cyanogen ROM seems to have a problem with GPS - it will do network location (from the cellphone tower or wifi routers), but it doesn't turn the GPS radio on.

The Cyanogen ROM is faster, but it uses more battery. (One goes with the other - speed costs power.)

So choose whichever one meets your particular needs. Since I prefer more battery life, and I like my GPS working, I'm staying with the AreaROM for now. (An added bonus is that you can use 2GB of your SD card as "internal" memory, so you can go crazy installing apps.)
    03-29-2012 04:58 PM
    How. Did u get root i cant seem to do it
    04-20-2012 12:28 AM
    04-27-2012 10:43 PM
    My Samsung Precedent is "rooted", (a friend did it for me). If I wanted to restore it to non-rooted status, how do I go about that?

Al
    05-05-2012 02:44 PM
    I can send you the one click root files that I modified to work on the precedent the only thing I ask is that you go to my business page on Facebook, LIKE IT, and message me on there. Thank you all
    Premiere Computer Solutions
    05-20-2012 12:56 PM
    I will help in anyway I can.
    05-20-2012 12:57 PM
    is there somewhere I can send my phone to be rooted that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
    08-12-2012 01:45 PM
    See my previous post (^up a few). Running that file on your computer (with the phone connected to the computer) will root your phone. By comparison, signing up for this forum was very complicated.
    08-19-2012 05:16 PM
    So before I download a rom I want to make sure I back everything up can someone help me with this. a step by step process for the galaxy precedent. Thank you in advance!!!
    04-19-2013 09:47 AM
    I just did it for a friends precedent. It was very simple. Search Google for 'precedent root zip' and you should get a hit with a link to a zip file that pretty much handles it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
    04-30-2013 03:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD