StraightTalk warning me?

MagiiKz

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a call from StraightTalk about my excessive data usage. I have unlimited data and I only use my data for browsing. I've read there contract and it says that the unlimited data is for browsing so why would they be warning me? I only used somewhere around 2GB. I really don't want to get my data suspended, so should I listen to there warning anyway?

Jaben620

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a call from StraightTalk about my excessive data usage. I have unlimited data and I only use my data for browsing. I've read there contract and it says that the unlimited data is for browsing so why would they be warning me? I only used somewhere around 2GB. I really don't want to get my data suspended, so should I listen to there warning anyway?

Its a scam call. Ignore it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Unlimited" means no more than about 100MB/day and no more than about 2GB/month. The problem is that a) they won't give us any actual limits and b) they won't cut your data usage for the month or throttle you - they'll "delist" both your phone and your phone number if you don't comply with their "suggestion".

voxsilentii

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
They turned my data off without telling me. I called them to see what was up, and they said I was "abusing" my unlimited data. "Unlimited" should mean just that, and after I was finally able to understand them through that thick Hindi accent they had, I was infuriated. They returned my data usage, after giving me a warning. I had to talk to the supervisor and everything. It's false advertising.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They turned my data off without telling me. I called them to see what was up, and they said I was "abusing" my unlimited data. "Unlimited" should mean just that, and after I was finally able to understand them through that thick Hindi accent they had, I was infuriated. They returned my data usage, after giving me a warning. I had to talk to the supervisor and everything. It's false advertising.
The "advertising" says "unlimited web browsing". It specifically says that you can't stream, and you can't use apps that aren't included with the phone. (Terms are different for the BYOD program.) Unless you never sleep, it's probably impossible to browse enough web pages to use too much data.

False advertising? No. Misleading advertising? Only if you consider the need to read the Terms and Conditions "misleading". This is a textbook case of "buyer beware". You assumed something they aren't selling.

Ozzgood

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It does take alot of abuse to get a warning call. A friend of mine had the E71 and downloaded the (Joikuspot) mobile hot spot.. He works on a boat and forgot to turn it off for two days and all the crew was surfing on his signal.. He got the call..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The "advertising" says "unlimited web browsing". It specifically says that you can't stream, and you can't use apps that aren't included with the phone. (Terms are different for the BYOD program.) Unless you never sleep, it's probably impossible to browse enough web pages to use too much data.

False advertising? No. Misleading advertising? Only if you consider the need to read the Terms and Conditions "misleading". This is a textbook case of "buyer beware". You assumed something they aren't selling.

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I use and abuse, they quit cutting me off after I called n threated a false advertising lawsuit. I also mentioned I would call every major news network and ask them if they wanted to cover the lawsuit. Not one single problem after that and I use over 1gb a day every day.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
On my byop note ii I got throttled after 19gb I called and they lifted the throttle.
On cdma phone I told them I used pandora radio. They were cool with it.

Note I have recently changed to gsm byop

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sonny Lee

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
These are customer service representatives you were speaking to - NOT Public Relations. Better yet, these are under-skilled, underpaid workers with an anonymous identity and thousands of miles between you and them. They couldn't care less if you pursued a lawsuit and went to every media outlet you could find.

The PR would laugh because they would easily assume:

1. If you can't afford the extra $45-50 for a major cell phone plan, you probably can't afford a lawyer. They have billions of dollars to spend.
2. Even if you could find a lawyer, you would have no case. Regardless of whether or not you read the ToS, you agreed to them. You might think that was no biggie, but what you actually did was legally binding - and in it you agreed not to use your service for downloading/streaming videos, music, and apps.
3. No one in the News industry is going to give a crap about your trivial case - other than to broadcast how ridiculous it is. You'd be the joke - not them.

next time, read the print.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
It was a bluff...

And it worked.

Before that, data disconects atleast once a month...after that no data disconect for 8 months till I went to tdma/gsm.

It also got me a refund for a non refundable item when they capped att sims at 1.5gb on net10.

And I did read the print, seriously, who dosent?

Sent from my SGH-T889

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12