so lost....

blondeonboard

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
ok i am a blonde but not completely stupid..... what do all these terms i keep seeing mean? ROM, bricking, PRL, rooting???????? what does all this mean and do i need to put it on my phone? i may not know the terms but i do catch on quick....... Btw my precedent is with stright talk and i havent activated it yet but i was wanting to know before i do.......Thanks

inthegalaxy

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Rooting your phone means that you can disable the hardware on your phone that is already there just your carriers makes it where you can't use it. Also you get modified updates faster than from your phones manufacture/ carriers. If you dont know what your doing a 100% you could lock your phone up. Or " tear it up". It will void any warranty on the device. You do not have to root ur phone. And is advised you dont unless someone you know really knows what their doing. Hope this helps and enjoy ur new android device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
ok i am a blonde but not completely stupid..... what do all these terms i keep seeing mean? ROM, bricking, PRL, rooting???????? what does all this mean and do i need to put it on my phone? i may not know the terms but i do catch on quick....... Btw my precedent is with stright talk and i havent activated it yet but i was wanting to know before i do.......Thanks

This may be helpful: The Android Dictionary | Android Central

blondeonboard

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
yeah i saw the dictionary but still wasnt sure about some of the terms...... can i still hook my phone up to my lap top and use the internet from my phone without rooting my phone?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe with a a program called foxfi, but I am not sure how well it works with this phone. If you root, you have a ton of working options

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

blondeonboard

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
im worried if i root my phone it will use to much data........? i have a friend that had his phone "jail housed" (or something like that) and straight talk cut his phone off bc it used too much data and all he ever did was go on facebook

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Jail broken, and the two are unrelated. Just rooting doesn't use data, tethering all the time uses data. I am sure he was doing more than Facebook since that uses next to nothing as far as data goes

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Jail broken, and the two are unrelated. Just rooting doesn't use data, tethering all the time uses data. I am sure he was doing more than Facebook since that uses next to nothing as far as data goes

i wouldn't stay they are totally unrelated jailbreaking just means root access on a i/apple product android and apple have roots in unix android has evolved to Linux wich is directly derived from unix as well as apple but apple has become more proprietary over the years but still based off Unix

i wonder when apple will try and sue:rolleyes:

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I used 16 gb last month. This is after straight talk cut me off three times. Just call them, be mean, ask them to define unlimited, then ask them to define a false advertising lawsuit.

The correct awnser to have you modified the device software in any way is no.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2