My friend has this phone. The phone keeps saying it is low on memory. I have checked it and it looks like it is only using a tiny bit of the memory. What can I do to fix this for her?

ItsmeJonette
    03-18-2013 04:53 PM
    Ok. The samsung precie has 300mb or so. Root and partition the card.
    Hit up AndroidArea51.com
    Hook it up with 2gb app space from the sd card.
    She will never run out again and you can be the hero.
    I recomend my post for how to for the cm7.1 rom.

Sent from my SGH-T889
    03-20-2013 10:14 AM
    I keep reading about rooting and this is quite intimidating to me. Dont get me wrong. I'm the tech guru at work and home. I've built my own computer tower, added memory and hard drives and overclocked my computer and replaced fans to better fans. But these cell phones worry me. I guess its because I know how important phones are to people and they r expensive also. I help everyone with their phone questions and setup their new tech gadgets for them when they get new stuff. Rooting just is scarry for me still.

ItsmeJonette
    03-21-2013 02:17 AM
    If i brick her phone I'm gonna die. Ha

ItsmeJonette
    03-21-2013 02:20 AM
    If i brick her phone I'm gonna die. Ha

ItsmeJonette
    http://www.androidarea51.com/index.p...g8993.msg#8993

Noob proof

If somthing happens go to download mode and start over.

Follow all directions.

Ive done these exact steps and know the work.

Sent from my SGH-T889
    03-21-2013 04:29 AM
    With Poot and Ministro there's really no chance of bricking the device. Plus Samsungs are hard to brick with ODIN there to save the day
    07-12-2013 08:45 AM
    I have found a workaround for the low internal memory problems with the Precedent without rooting...No Bricking...Totally Undo-able...And I'm told it doesn't void your warranty, although I'd undo it before hand if taking it to a service center. I just bought one and I'm definitely no expert. I was irritated with the memory issues associated with this phone, and the inability to change default storage or move most apps to sd. After a night of research and the web posting generosity of other people's knowledge (I needed pages from 2 different people open side-by-side to understand). I finally clicked for me and I got it. Long story short I have sympathy for your plight and feel compelled to share what I've learned with other suffering precedent owners. I will Post for you guys, the method I used for unlocking access to store more apps on your sd card by changing the default storage setting to external... Notice I say more, Not all. You still won't be able to switch the preloaded/system or Google apps to external, and I'm sure there will be a handful of others. I wouldn't advise monkeying with the system anyway. Hopeful if your problem has already been dealt with this will be able to help others.
    09-14-2013 11:24 PM
    Ok here is what you need to do in order to change default storage to external sd on your Galaxy Precedent. Note these directions are for windows 7 users with the Android Precedent running FroYo 2.2.2. I am not fully aware of the differences in other versions of the Windows OS, I've heard this can work on some other Androids...Namely the Galaxy Q I believe...But I have no experience and therefor cannot advise you with any kind of certainty.

So if your ready, Make sure your phone battery has more than a 70% charge. Take your deep breath, Goosfrabaah, Put your big boy/girl pants on and don't smash your electronics if you get confused or frustrated at first. Just think about it rationally and remember this will and does work. Many of You will likely understand this quicker than I did when I did it, and therefore do this with incredible ease(if you haven't already. Those who don't you will soon enough. Once your on the other side you'll realize it was a breeze.

Step 1. Go to the downloads section of the tools page on the Android Developers website. Here> Android SDK | Android Developers
    >Now click the button that says "Download The Android SDK ADT(Android Developer Tools) Bundle For Windows"
    >Save and unzip using winrar or whatever program you prefer to unzip with. Take note of where you extract the files to (you may need to make sure Java is up to date before next step)

Step 2. Now double click to run SDKManager.exe, when it opens locate the option deselect all. Check the boxes next to Google usb driver, Documentation for Android SDK, and Platform Tools. Click install Packages.

Step 3. Grab your phone, go to Settings>Applications>Developement> and check the box for USB Debugging.

Step 4. Connect your Precedent to you PC via the usb from your charger. Your computer will begin to install necessary drivers. Allow it to do so.

Step 5. Make sure you phone is showing up on your Computer as a connect device/drive. If you don't see it you may need to select usb mass storage on you phones usb settings. If it doesn't ask you to select automatically go to settings>Wireless&Networks check the box for USB Mass Storage. Once You can find your phone on your computer you are ready for the next step.

Step 6. Open your command prompt on your PC by going to the Start, Type in run, Select Run on the menu, type in cmd and hit the enter key.
    (From this step on NAME will stand for your user account name on your PC, and I'll type "SPACE" Or "ENTER" to indicate pressing those keys)
    (Do NOT Actually type SPACE ENTER or the quotation marks)
    Step 7. When Command Prompt opens It will pop up C:\Users\Name\
    >you will type cd"SPACE"C:\Users\NAME\(and the rest of the path where you saved your file)\ Notice the space between cd and the Path you type.
    >Note: I had to move the contents of the folder I extracted to another location and create a new path to make it work. You may not have to. If it doesn't work for you, try this.
    >I copied the FILE "SDKManager.exe", and the FOLDERS named "sdk", "eclipse" to a folder called ".android"
    >My new path looked like this (From this step on NAME will stand for your user account name on your PC, and I'll type "SPACE" Or "ENTER" to indicate pressing those keys)

So Command Prompt Opens and displays the beginning path Of C:\etc. as mentioned above, after that You type cd"SPACE"C:\Users\NAME\.android\sdk\platform-tools"ENTER"
    It Should repeat the path you entered and add a carrot to the end ">" You type the command "adb"SPACE"devices"ENTER" to access you device. So you should have;
    C:\Users\NAME\.android\sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
    It will locate you device and show the file path carrot again Like before. We're Almost Done! If you're here the Hard Part Is Over.
    Enter the Command "adb"SPACE"shell"SPACE"pm"SPACE"getInstallLocation"ENTER" So it will look like this;
    C:\Users\NAME\.android\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm getInstallLocation
    After you hit "ENTER" It will display the current location of your phone's default storage. Which should say 0[auto]
    Now you will use the same "adb shell pm getInstallLocation" command only you will change "get" to "set" And type "SPACE"2" at the end before pressing "ENTER"
    It will look like this when you press enter; C:\Users\NAME\.android\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

THAT'S IT! your new default storage location has been change to your external sd. To confirm Run the "get" command again
    C:\Users\NAME\.android\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm getInstallLocation
    This time when you press "ENTER" It will show you 2[external] And to undo this you use the same commands only you "set" to 0 intstead "2"

And there you have it. Don't say I never did anything for you. My good deed for the day is done.
    09-15-2013 04:24 AM
    Thanks for the tutorial, works now and the warning went away after I moved one file! the one of the google play files and wah lah the texts started flowing as did the e-mails.
    Thanks, Rick
    01-05-2014 09:18 PM