12-04-2011 12:26 PM
158 1234 ...
tools
    I just sent my SGSII back (one day within my return window). I live around DC, so one big selling point for me will be LTE. If I don't like it, I'll send it back and buy another SGSII. I don't think AT&T will have a problem with it since I've been a customer for 11 years. Right now I'm on my backup phone; my Atrix.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    planoman likes this.
    11-03-2011 08:32 PM
    I wouldn't worry about the processor so much. Touchwiz 4.0 is pretty quick if you want to stick with the default launcher.
    May be a dumb question, but what does the launcher have to do with the Touchwiz performance?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    11-03-2011 09:32 PM

Try knowing your topic in practical terms and stop spouting this theory based drivel you are reading about to make you feel beter about you phone. LTE can do 100 to 300 mbps down stream... in Theory!
    LTE in a 10 MHz SISO config like what Verizon is doing and that AT&T is doing in most markets is capable of 50 Mbps theoretical performance. 300 Mbps is on 20 MHz in 4x4 MIMO.

AT&T in some markets (Chicago at least) is only on 5 MHz which would be in theory 25 Mbps.
    11-03-2011 10:01 PM
    LTE in a 10 MHz SISO config like what Verizon is doing and that AT&T is doing in most markets is capable of 50 Mbps theoretical performance. 300 Mbps is on 20 MHz in 4x4 MIMO.

AT&T in some markets (Chicago at least) is only on 5 MHz which would be in theory 25 Mbps.
    So like I said in theory, faster than HSPA+ lol! Just need some more antennas...I was trying to point out that we rarely, if ever, see the theoretical maximums. I was responding to a post that said AT&T LTE will not be faster than T mobile's HSPA+ with their 42 Mbps.

AT&T vs. Verizon: LTE, Head-to-Head | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

P.S. Are you in the Military? If so THANK YOU for your service!
    11-03-2011 10:17 PM
    For all of your Exynos fans dogging on the Qualcomm in the Skyrocket...

From the Slashgear hands on:

AT&T 4G LTE speed report: HTC Vivid and Samsung Skyrocket - SlashGear

An Excerpt:

Speed tests don’t always accurately measure real-world use, of course. When downloading large files with the phones’ built-in browsers, I managed about 100 megabites every minute on both. YouTube and Netflix streams began almost instantly, and most Android Market downloads were finished downloading even before the on-screen download notification timed out.

Looks like that qualcomm processor is not too much of a handicap...
    11-04-2011 12:49 PM
    For all of your Exynos fans dogging on the Qualcomm in the Skyrocket...

From the Slashgear hands on:

AT&T 4G LTE speed report: HTC Vivid and Samsung Skyrocket - SlashGear

An Excerpt:

Speed tests dont always accurately measure real-world use, of course. When downloading large files with the phones built-in browsers, I managed about 100 megabites every minute on both. YouTube and Netflix streams began almost instantly, and most Android Market downloads were finished downloading even before the on-screen download notification timed out.

Looks like that qualcomm processor is not too much of a handicap...
    yea but theres still lag on the UI
    11-04-2011 05:27 PM
    yea but theres still lag on the UI
    lol! yes but the not on the download like the SGSII on HSPA+

Keep flipping between your screens and telling yourself you have the fastest phone...
    11-04-2011 05:40 PM
    lol! yes but the not on the download like the SGSII on HSPA+

Keep flipping between your screens and telling yourself you have the fastest phone...
    im not saying its the fastest phone, i just prefer the original hardware better. i was considering the skyrocket but decided to pick up the OG sgsii later today
    11-04-2011 06:56 PM
    im not saying its the fastest phone, i just prefer the original hardware better. i was considering the skyrocket but decided to pick up the OG sgsii later today
    To those who've decided to purchase the original GSII even after hearing about the Skyrocket, does the announcement that the Skyrocket will get ICS play into your decision? Or do you plan on putting ICS on via custom roms? I'm just curious because I'm also deciding between these two phones.

I just don't want to get an OG GSII and have it be super fast now, but noticeably slower than the Skyrocket when each of them are running ICS, based on the assumption that Exynos isn't optimized for ICS as much as Snapdragon or other processors are.
    11-04-2011 09:08 PM
    To those who've decided to purchase the original GSII even after hearing about the Skyrocket, does the announcement that the Skyrocket will get ICS play into your decision? Or do you plan on putting ICS on via custom roms? I'm just curious because I'm also deciding between these two phones.

I just don't want to get an OG GSII and have it be super fast now, but noticeably slower than the Skyrocket when each of them are running ICS, based on the assumption that Exynos isn't optimized for ICS as much as Snapdragon or other processors are.
    Got my GSII yesterday. Smooth as butter. Honestly, touchwiz 4.0 is real smooth, i could wait later on next year for ICS. I did hear it was suppose to use the processors more efficiently.
    11-05-2011 08:48 AM
    I am not going to get the Skyrocket, keeping the OG SGS2 for now. Whether or not the Qualcomm was optimized for ICS more than the Exynos, who knows. SGSII is their flagship phone, and the international one has the Exynos, so they'll optimize it for the Exynos, it'll just take longer. Cyanogenmod will have it done sooner than Samsung though lol. As for me, I am content with the OG SGS2, when I am ready for LTE, or when it's here, we'll have the SGSIII. (Or I am just dreaming.) Go with either phone, the Qualcomm is a tad slower, but if you're in an LTE market, the data speeds will make up for it. If you're always waiting for the better phone, you'll never have a phone.
    11-05-2011 01:49 PM
    I am not going to get the Skyrocket, keeping the OG SGS2 for now. Whether or not the Qualcomm was optimized for ICS more than the Exynos, who knows. SGSII is their flagship phone, and the international one has the Exynos, so they'll optimize it for the Exynos, it'll just take longer. Cyanogenmod will have it done sooner than Samsung though lol. As for me, I am content with the OG SGS2, when I am ready for LTE, or when it's here, we'll have the SGSIII. (Or I am just dreaming.) Go with either phone, the Qualcomm is a tad slower, but if you're in an LTE market, the data speeds will make up for it. If you're always waiting for the better phone, you'll never have a phone.
    As far as just pure speed on the phone itself (taking data completely out of the equation because I won't be getting LTE for quite some time):

Do you think there will be a night and day difference between the og gsii and the skyrocket? Or at least notable enough where it bothers you?

I want the speediest phone I can get on at&t, and again I'm talking about general use, not data because where I live at&t is quite slow, so I'm not expecting much here. I'm deciding between these two phones, but I want a really fast phone that will still feel really fast throughout the entire 2 year contract. To me, the biggest drawbacks of the og gsii are its 4.3" screen (I'm coming from a Dell Streak), and its unconfirmed ICS update. Yeah the devs will make ICS for it, but when? How fast could the guys at xda possibly get ICS on the og gsii? Q1, 2, or 3, 2012?

To me, here are some notable factors for my next smartphone:

1. speed: I want it to be fast, REALLY fast
    2. ICS: whether it's official or a custom rom, I want ICS asap. ICS multitasking beats the sh*t out of gingerbread's.
    3. size: as close as you can get to Dell Streak size before it becomes a two-handed device
    4. battery: I want it to last 15 hours, 4 hours which is actual use, the rest of it standby with my gmail/voice etc. all syncing

Do you think that by getting a skyrocket, I will be noticeably disappointed when it comes to operating speed? I really want ICS, but I just don't know how fast xda will be able to put one out, and one that's stable with exynos.

And here's another question for pondering, once ICS is developed for exynos, theoretically "optimized" for exynos, will it still technically be slower than qualcomm based on characteristics of the exynos itself? (rather than ICS compatibility for it) I'm trying to figure out if exynos is a gingerbread processor first, and would naturally be inferior at running ICS than snapdragon/omap will, after all is said and done.
    11-05-2011 03:05 PM
    I've played with both already... I couldn't tell a difference between the UI changing between screens on either phone. In fact I didn't even know that it was slower until i read this thread! I say get the Skyrocket. When you are using it in real life you won't even remember this thread and everyone saying its got a slower operating speed. ITS STILL SUPER FAST!!
    rbonnerjr likes this.
    11-05-2011 03:42 PM
    As far as just pure speed on the phone itself (taking data completely out of the equation because I won't be getting LTE for quite some time):

Do you think there will be a night and day difference between the og gsii and the skyrocket? Or at least notable enough where it bothers you?

I want the speediest phone I can get on at&t, and again I'm talking about general use, not data because where I live at&t is quite slow, so I'm not expecting much here. I'm deciding between these two phones, but I want a really fast phone that will still feel really fast throughout the entire 2 year contract. To me, the biggest drawbacks of the og gsii are its 4.3" screen (I'm coming from a Dell Streak), and its unconfirmed ICS update. Yeah the devs will make ICS for it, but when? How fast could the guys at xda possibly get ICS on the og gsii? Q1, 2, or 3, 2012?

To me, here are some notable factors for my next smartphone:

1. speed: I want it to be fast, REALLY fast
    2. ICS: whether it's official or a custom rom, I want ICS asap. ICS multitasking beats the sh*t out of gingerbread's.
    3. size: as close as you can get to Dell Streak size before it becomes a two-handed device
    4. battery: I want it to last 15 hours, 4 hours which is actual use, the rest of it standby with my gmail/voice etc. all syncing

Do you think that by getting a skyrocket, I will be noticeably disappointed when it comes to operating speed? I really want ICS, but I just don't know how fast xda will be able to put one out, and one that's stable with exynos.

And here's another question for pondering, once ICS is developed for exynos, theoretically "optimized" for exynos, will it still technically be slower than qualcomm based on characteristics of the exynos itself? (rather than ICS compatibility for it) I'm trying to figure out if exynos is a gingerbread processor first, and would naturally be inferior at running ICS than snapdragon/omap will, after all is said and done.
    I can tell you right now, that the Exynos will be faster than the OMAP, well, from a benchmark stand point. The Galaxy Nexus barely beats the OG SGSII in benchmarks, but in real world application, benchmarks mean nothing. Honestly either one are a good choice. But since you want ICS as fast as possible, I'm going out on a limb to say that the Skyrocket will get it sooner, at least officially. Cyanogenmod wise, I am not sure if the Qualcomm SoC or the Exynos will get it sooner. I can honestly say though, I don't think day to day performance differences will be at all noticeable. The one thing I am wondering though, is will the Skyrocket have terrible battery life... Qualcomm chips definitely seem to lack there. I mean your four points, the phones are 50/50. Speed & battery go to OG SGSII, and ICS & size wise go to Skyrocket. Either way I can pretty much say you won't be disappointed, as the differences are definitely not day and night.
    11-05-2011 04:06 PM
    Stupid question, but what are the chances of Skyrocket being harder to unlock?
    11-05-2011 04:27 PM
    But since you want ICS as fast as possible, I'm going out on a limb to say that the Skyrocket will get it sooner, at least officially. Cyanogenmod wise, I am not sure if the Qualcomm SoC or the Exynos will get it sooner.
    AT&T has already confirmed the Skyrocket will get ICS in the first half of 2012. It did not confirm the same thing for the OG SGII. But I'm sure it'll get it the same time or close to it.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/ice...vid-confirmed/
    11-05-2011 04:37 PM
    Stupid question, but what are the chances of Skyrocket being harder to unlock?
    Shouldn't be any harder.
    AT&T will provide the Unlock Code for phones on wireless plans if:
    • Your wireless service has been active for 90 days or longer
    • Your account is current and in good standing
    • Your phone is not sold exclusively by us
    • Your phone's Unlock Code is available from the Manufacturer

Though I'm not sure if it's technically "sold exclusively" by AT&T as it's basically the Hercules.
    11-05-2011 04:42 PM
    Listen, I myself love a 4.5 inch screen and I wish the OG GS2 had it... But there are a few things proven: The Exynos is the best thing out there RIGHT NOW, we know that these phones are upgraded all the time but for right now the Exynos is the top-of-the-line... The Mali GPU is also one of the best graphics chips out there RIGHT NOW... capable of console-quality graphics. We also know this:

""HSPA+ (21Mbps): I really consider this to be 3.5G, but some carriers like T-Mobile USA may simply call it “4G”, so keep in mind that while it is better than 3G, it is not as fast as 4G LTE (as deployed by Verizon in the US). That said, HSPA+ phones don’t use nearly as much power as today’s LTE phones when transmitting data, although things are getting slowly better. For more information, read my post about the different 4G networks."" - UberGizmo

""In the case of Operating Systems again, the three have significant differences. T-Mobile’s Galaxy S2 comes with a 1.5GHz dual core Snapdragon processor, the Sprint’s and AT&T’s version run on a 1.2GHz dual core Exynos processor. Considering the different clock speeds, the general impression is expected to be that T-Mobile’s processor is superior. However, this prejudice against the other two’s processor is completely wrong. In fact, the problem with T-Mobile’s Snapdragon processor is that it gives users an ability to take advantage of the conjectural 42Mbps speeds of its HSPA+ network, thus making the processor’s overall performance worse. Due to this, the difference in performance between the Snapdragon and the Exynos processors is insignificant.

Far from being overpowered by the Snapdragon processor, Exynos in fact gets the better of it in some areas. One such instance is in the case of the GPU’s of these processors. The Snapdragon comes with the Adreno 220 GPU, while the Exynos sports the far more superior, Mali-400 GPU. So when it comes to 3D performance, the Exynos wins every time.

As for the minor disadvantage Exynos has regarding its clock-speed, it won’t be long before the XDA developers create a custom kernel that is capable of overclocking the Exynos up to 1.5 GHz, thereby overcoming its drawbacks.""

......I was sooooo upset because I got the OG GS2 about a month ago, but I feel better now.... because in all honesty, I'm a hardware man. Not only that but I'm certain that with LTE I'll be having my speeds throttled down by AT&T anyways(rendering LTE useless) because I WILL be in the top 5% of users with data... I was last month on HSPA+. That being said they are both great phones, and you can't go wrong with either....
    11-05-2011 06:39 PM
    AT&T LTE is also the 700 Mhz frequency...better coverage and building penetration!
    I did not know this until now, and this is actually an important factor for me, since I get basically zero service in my apartment right outside of Boston.

I am wondering if having this building penetration feature, as well as Boston getting LTE is enough to get the Skyrocket for $250, rather than getting the SGSII for basically $0 ($100 through a price match at Best Buy and also getting a $100 GC to Best Buy, which is a current promo for their Reward Zone members).

Thoughts from you all?
    11-05-2011 06:45 PM
    I did not know this until now, and this is actually an important factor for me, since I get basically zero service in my apartment right outside of Boston.

I am wondering if having this building penetration feature, as well as Boston getting LTE is enough to get the Skyrocket for $250, rather than getting the SGSII for basically $0 ($100 through a price match at Best Buy and also getting a $100 GC to Best Buy, which is a current promo for their Reward Zone members).

Thoughts from you all?
    Remember the lte is data only and it will help you get a data signal but not voice.
    11-05-2011 08:13 PM
    As for the minor disadvantage Exynos has regarding its clock-speed, it won’t be long before the XDA developers create a custom kernel that is capable of overclocking the Exynos up to 1.5 GHz, thereby overcoming its drawbacks.
    You can already overclock the Exynos to 1.6GHz lol. The kernel that comes with CM7 lets you clock to 1.6GHz, Zedomax and Entropy also have kernels that clock at 1.6GHz.

I am waiting for faster ones. I mean my Captivate is stable at 1.7GHz.
    11-05-2011 08:25 PM
    Remember the lte is data only and it will help you get a data signal but not voice.
    That I did not know. Basically solves it then. Thanks of the info, much appreciated.
    11-05-2011 08:40 PM

Thoughts from you all?
    how do you get the 100 gift card? im a silver reward member
    11-05-2011 09:31 PM

Thoughts from you all?
    I was wondering if anyone has ever had AT&T give them an upgrade early? I am eligible for an upgrade in exactly 1 month and would love to jump on this "free" Galaxy S2 deal. Has anyone ever gotten an early upgrade? If so, how would I go about getting one?

Or am I just screwed for now and need to just hope and pray another deal comes along in a month?
    11-05-2011 10:05 PM
    I was wondering if anyone has ever had AT&T give them an upgrade early? I am eligible for an upgrade in exactly 1 month and would love to jump on this "free" Galaxy S2 deal. Has anyone ever gotten an early upgrade? If so, how would I go about getting one?

Or am I just screwed for now and need to just hope and pray another deal comes along in a month?
    Just go in and ask if you could upgrade early, as you been a great customer, that your looking to get a new phone right now because your phone is giving you problems. Tell them you seem some great phones with the competitors have considered leaving but would rather stay with them if they could possibly give you the early upgrade.
    11-05-2011 10:21 PM
158 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD