12-04-2011 12:26 PM
158 ... 4567
tools
    I have no problems with my Skyrocket after getting the APNs programed.
    What exactly do you mean with "APN programmed" ?
    11-08-2011 04:56 PM
    I absolutely love my Skyrocket, have none of those issues.
    I haven't had any issues with the SR. No lag. Web and apps are fast. Easier to type on for me. I've had no lag with the stock email client as opposed to the OG. Certainly everyone will have different experiences. I implore you to give it an honest try if you have an interest in the phone. I'm loving it thus far. Get the processor name out of your mind!
    bwil18 likes this.
    11-08-2011 05:42 PM
    To all the people who are enjoying their Skyrockets, is the phone delivering that "holy sh*t this phone is fast" reaction that you get from the og gsii, or is it more that "it's fast enough for me"?

I ask because I'm still using a 2010 single-core 1ghz phone, and I want to be completely overwhelmed by the performance and speed of my next phone. I want to make a big upgrade. I don't like the idea of purchasing a new phone that I will likely use for the next two years, and simply be "content" with it. I want a phone that completely leaves me in the dust.

If the Skyrocket does deliver this same reaction, please share your experiences. I'm leaning more towards the og gsii at this point in time unless the Skyrocket fits this description.
    11-08-2011 07:10 PM
    Depends on what you do. If you're doing something network intensive, it seems snappier than my SGS2. If you play games or other computational apps then it's slower than the SGS2.
    11-08-2011 09:29 PM
    To all the people who are enjoying their Skyrockets, is the phone delivering that "holy sh*t this phone is fast" reaction that you get from the og gsii, or is it more that "it's fast enough for me"?

I ask because I'm still using a 2010 single-core 1ghz phone, and I want to be completely overwhelmed by the performance and speed of my next phone. I want to make a big upgrade. I don't like the idea of purchasing a new phone that I will likely use for the next two years, and simply be "content" with it. I want a phone that completely leaves me in the dust.

If the Skyrocket does deliver this same reaction, please share your experiences. I'm leaning more towards the og gsii at this point in time unless the Skyrocket fits this description.
    This is so subjective. The lte speeds blew me away! You should go see the phones youself. I have had both and living in Texas with several lte markets, the SR is really a no brainer. The exynos cannot over overcome the network speed to me. I have not seen any issues or problems with the SR, but you can only answer your question for yourself. If you are in an lte area, WOW!
    bwil18 likes this.
    11-08-2011 10:18 PM
    I am in a LTE city and its is holy sh*t fast. I usually download faster on the LTE than i do when i am conncected to my wifi. I have had no problems at all with the skyrocket since i turned in my GSII. Resolution just isnt as crisp but not that bad.
    11-09-2011 07:49 AM
    This is so subjective. The lte speeds blew me away! You should go see the phones youself. I have had both and living in Texas with several lte markets, the SR is really a no brainer. The exynos cannot over overcome the network speed to me. I have not seen any issues or problems with the SR, but you can only answer your question for yourself. If you are in an lte area, WOW!
    okay so I'm talking about general use speeds. I want to be able to multitask several programs, and jump between them without even a chance to blink. Several of the og gsii reviews convey more or less this kind of feel, but since I haven't seen any formal reviews of the skyrocket by a big website like engadget for example, I don't know if this same trait applies to skyrocket or if it's another story. Also, some people have reported that it was fast when they bought it, but after a few hours of use they started noticing considerable lag. I want to be able to go at full-speed all the time.

I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah and I will honestly be surprised if we get lte at any point in 2012. If anyone has come across specifics in at&t's lte rollout plan, please feel free to share.
    11-09-2011 09:33 AM
    okay so I'm talking about general use speeds. I want to be able to multitask several programs, and jump between them without even a chance to blink. Several of the og gsii reviews convey more or less this kind of feel, but since I haven't seen any formal reviews of the skyrocket by a big website like engadget for example, I don't know if this same trait applies to skyrocket or if it's another story. Also, some people have reported that it was fast when they bought it, but after a few hours of use they started noticing considerable lag. I want to be able to go at full-speed all the time.

I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah and I will honestly be surprised if we get lte at any point in 2012. If anyone has come across specifics in at&t's lte rollout plan, please feel free to share.
    "Without even a chance to blink"

I think you are setting expectations that this phone, or any phone cannot meet or exceed.

The benchmarks say this phone is a bit slower in processing but the bias against this phone seems to be higher than the benchmarks would suggest. We all have a bias because we are human.

Based on your expectations and not living in lte, I do not think this phone would live up to your expectations.

You would have 30 days to evaluate. I find the phone great! I am not as concerned about processor as I am lte since I live and work in lte areas.
    11-09-2011 01:23 PM
    So, do tasks involving data using LTE mask the issues with the processor, or make them stand out more?
    11-09-2011 02:51 PM
    Ran a couple speed tests here in Houston, holy crap LTE was smoking, got 42 megs on download and 15 on the up.
    bwil18 and Creek like this.
    11-09-2011 04:51 PM
    Anyone in Chicago with it?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    11-09-2011 06:09 PM
    So, do tasks involving data using LTE mask the issues with the processor, or make them stand out more?
    I have not seen any issue with the processor. I flip the screens as fast as I can and they flip. I use launcher pro and the 3D ap drawer, and I scroll the apps as fast as I can and they wiz so fast I cannot see them. I scroll and pinch and zoom the web pages and the phone responds. The LTE absolutely screams and some of the bigger apps I have downloaded on LTE, I did not even see the downloading bar, as soon as I hit accept it seems like the phone was installing the app. Yes it downloaded that fast.

We have had a few on this forum say the phones lags etc but I have not seen it. Have not seen any video of this lag etc either. One person said the captivate was better...really? Not hardly.

I do not really know why the bias against the SR. Maybe people just had to justify their choosing the SGSII by putting the SR down. If it is not faster than the SGSII in processing it is in the top 2 or 3 phones. Coupled with LTE there is no doubt that this is a superb device!

If you live in LTE now or in an area that will get it in the next 6-12 months I think it is a no brainer to get the SR. If LTE is not coming to you for a while, I would say the SGSII is probably a better choice.

Just my .02 !
    SteveISU and Tom S. like this.
    11-09-2011 06:45 PM
    I have not seen any issue with the processor. I flip the screens as fast as I can and they flip. I use launcher pro and the 3D ap drawer, and I scroll the apps as fast as I can and they wiz so fast I cannot see them. I scroll and pinch and zoom the web pages and the phone responds. The LTE absolutely screams and some of the bigger apps I have downloaded on LTE, I did not even see the downloading bar, as soon as I hit accept it seems like the phone was installing the app. Yes it downloaded that fast.

We have had a few on this forum say the phones lags etc but I have not seen it. Have not seen any video of this lag etc either. One person said the captivate was better...really? Not hardly.

I do not really know why the bias against the SR. Maybe people just had to justify their choosing the SGSII by putting the SR down. If it is not faster than the SGSII in processing it is in the top 2 or 3 phones. Coupled with LTE there is no doubt that this is a superb device!

If you live in LTE now or in an area that will get it in the next 6-12 months I think it is a no brainer to get the SR. If LTE is not coming to you for a while, I would say the SGSII is probably a better choice.

Just my .02 !
    I live in an LTE market. I had a discussion with a buddy of mine and we both feel if there is a chance that AT&T will use the LTE as a way to weed out those unlimited data contracts, they will. Getting in with LTE services while they will let you be grandfathered in may be advantageous. Especially now when it's a limited roll out. Just a thought, but I don't want a phone that's a turd, hence why I'm asking.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    11-09-2011 07:37 PM
    I just returned the SGS II and bought the Skyrocket. It is a great phone and I have no regrets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    bwil18 likes this.
    11-13-2011 09:41 AM
    I was able to keep my unlimited
    11-13-2011 09:58 AM
    My experience with the Skyrocket

So, I was second in line on October 2nd to get the SGSII when it came out at AT&T. I absolutely loved the phone. Screen is beautiful, snappy and intuitive UI, ton of storage, yada yada yada. I was completely content and happy with the phone I'd waited 6 months to buy. Then AT&T decided to launch the SGSII Skyrocket....which was basically intended to be the SII with LTE.

I read as much as I could in these forums, other sites, reviews on Engadget, PC Mag, Phonearena, Mobile Tech, etc. etc because I was concerned about 3 things: 1) Impact of Qualcomm processor vs. Exynos 2) Battery Life and 3) Screen size with the same resolution. In general, the reviews stated that even though the Exynos processor tends to score better on most tests than the Qualcomm Snapdragon S3, it is unlikely that you would be able to tell the difference in everyday use.

So, I went to AT&T and bought the Skyrocket, so that I would be covered with an LTE option whenever my city gets it. Once I got home, I spent hours configuring, downloading apps, customizing my home screen and panels and just using it like I used to use my SII. It became clear very, very quickly to me that I do notice the Qualcomm processor chipset compared to the standard Exynos SoC. I'm not saying the Snapdragon S3 is awful, but after using my SII with the Exynos for a month, I could immediately tell the difference. Things just weren't as snappy, crisp, and fluid. Screen transitions weren't as smooth, I often noticed a stutter when apps closed, and it just seemed slower than what I had become accustomed to feeling. For lack of a better way of saying it, the phone just felt "bloated" to me. It felt outsized for what was under the hood to me. I even did Quandrant tests and they were pretty good...often in the 3000-3100 range.....but the everyday usage was not the same.

The phone was not bad at all, do not get me wrong....I was just very disappointed after falling in love with the experience of the original SGSII. If I had purchased this phone first I probably would have been fine.

Here is my advice:
    1) If you have not bought a SGSII but are looking to get a phone with similar specs and are concerned with LTE, get the Skyrocket
    2) If you currently have the SGSII and tend to notice/care about technical details, don't buy the Skyrocket. My personal opinion is that you'll be able to tell the difference and it will drive you crazy.
    3) If you have an upgrade available and haven't purchased either, go with the Skyrocket first. That way you are covered if LTE comes to your city and you don't build a preconceived idea of what the SII will feel like.....if for some reason you don't like it, you can always return and get the SII....the difference in price will pay for the restocking fee AT&T charges you.

I returned my Skyrocket and now I have my SII again. I'm a happy camper.
    chmcke01 likes this.
    11-13-2011 03:32 PM
    One other difference between the two I've noticed is the skyrocket charges a hell of alot faster than the OG SII.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII LTE using tapatalk.
    bwil18 and canaah like this.
    11-15-2011 08:15 PM
    My experience with the Skyrocket

So, I was second in line on October 2nd to get the SGSII when it came out at AT&T. I absolutely loved the phone. Screen is beautiful, snappy and intuitive UI, ton of storage, yada yada yada. I was completely content and happy with the phone I'd waited 6 months to buy. Then AT&T decided to launch the SGSII Skyrocket....which was basically intended to be the SII with LTE.

I read as much as I could in these forums, other sites, reviews on Engadget, PC Mag, Phonearena, Mobile Tech, etc. etc because I was concerned about 3 things: 1) Impact of Qualcomm processor vs. Exynos 2) Battery Life and 3) Screen size with the same resolution. In general, the reviews stated that even though the Exynos processor tends to score better on most tests than the Qualcomm Snapdragon S3, it is unlikely that you would be able to tell the difference in everyday use.

So, I went to AT&T and bought the Skyrocket, so that I would be covered with an LTE option whenever my city gets it. Once I got home, I spent hours configuring, downloading apps, customizing my home screen and panels and just using it like I used to use my SII. It became clear very, very quickly to me that I do notice the Qualcomm processor chipset compared to the standard Exynos SoC. I'm not saying the Snapdragon S3 is awful, but after using my SII with the Exynos for a month, I could immediately tell the difference. Things just weren't as snappy, crisp, and fluid. Screen transitions weren't as smooth, I often noticed a stutter when apps closed, and it just seemed slower than what I had become accustomed to feeling. For lack of a better way of saying it, the phone just felt "bloated" to me. It felt outsized for what was under the hood to me. I even did Quandrant tests and they were pretty good...often in the 3000-3100 range.....but the everyday usage was not the same.

The phone was not bad at all, do not get me wrong....I was just very disappointed after falling in love with the experience of the original SGSII. If I had purchased this phone first I probably would have been fine.

Here is my advice:
    1) If you have not bought a SGSII but are looking to get a phone with similar specs and are concerned with LTE, get the Skyrocket
    2) If you currently have the SGSII and tend to notice/care about technical details, don't buy the Skyrocket. My personal opinion is that you'll be able to tell the difference and it will drive you crazy.
    3) If you have an upgrade available and haven't purchased either, go with the Skyrocket first. That way you are covered if LTE comes to your city and you don't build a preconceived idea of what the SII will feel like.....if for some reason you don't like it, you can always return and get the SII....the difference in price will pay for the restocking fee AT&T charges you.

I returned my Skyrocket and now I have my SII again. I'm a happy camper.
    Wow, well said Shermdiggity. That's exactly how I felt.
    11-16-2011 09:01 PM
    ....if for some reason you don't like it, you can always return and get the SII....the difference in price will pay for the restocking fee AT&T charges you.
    Or you can buy from Best Buy (w/ price matching) and not have to pay a restocking fee.
    11-16-2011 11:18 PM
    Exynos is not compatible with LTE. That's why they did it. I read that in some other thread here.

I think any perceived lag will be fixed by the hardware integration with ICS, which is confirmed for Q1 2012. The Galaxy Nexus has a slower processor, but the reviewers are saying it is wicked fast (Verge).
    11-18-2011 09:18 AM
    Or you can buy from Best Buy (w/ price matching) and not have to pay a restocking fee.
    For example, if I was to upgrade to the SGS2 in early December at Best Buy, would I only be able to exchange the phone or would I be able to just completely undo the upgrade?

I ask because I really want the Galaxy Nexus but I only have two chances of getting it:

1 - if it comes subsidized to AT&T as an upgrade
    2 - if I can upgrade to an iPhone 4S and then sell it, then sell my iPhone 4 and have enough money (after reimbursing myself for what I spent on the iPhone 4S) to buy a Galaxy Nexus unsubsidized. In other words, I would have to be able to sell my iPhone 4 and my upgrade device for enough to get one with ZERO out of pocket expense.
    11-18-2011 09:41 AM
    For example, if I was to upgrade to the SGS2 in early December at Best Buy, would I only be able to exchange the phone or would I be able to just completely undo the upgrade?

I ask because I really want the Galaxy Nexus but I only have two chances of getting it:

1 - if it comes subsidized to AT&T as an upgrade
    2 - if I can upgrade to an iPhone 4S and then sell it, then sell my iPhone 4 and have enough money (after reimbursing myself for what I spent on the iPhone 4S) to buy a Galaxy Nexus unsubsidized. In other words, I would have to be able to sell my iPhone 4 and my upgrade device for enough to get one with ZERO out of pocket expense.
    You should be able to undo the upgrade. I'd call AT& T to make sure. Based upon what I've read, AT&T will not get the Galaxy Nexus this year. Your plan sounds good. I'm going international too. The bad thing is, that currently, only the 16 GB available model is available on GSM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    11-18-2011 10:33 AM
    Your status will return to exactly how it was before you bought the phone. So you will be eligible for an upgrade again. I asked the Best Buy rep when I bought my phone cuz I was thinking the exact same thing before I realized the Nexus wasn't coming out on ATT this century.
    Tom S. likes this.
    11-18-2011 12:04 PM
    I absolutely love my Skyrocket, have none of those issues.
    Same here.
    Johnny D likes this.
    11-18-2011 08:07 PM
    This is a predicament I am in. I love the SGSII for ergonomics alone. It is the perfect size. It fits well in my hands and i have big hands. I did not like the way the SKYROCKET felt in my hand. I know I won't like probably phone as large as 4.5 inches. I know that there will be a top of the line phone that will a 4-4.3 inches from Samsung (or whomever when I am eligible for my next upgrade) that will be 4G. I played with the SGSII for an hour one day and then a week later for another half hour. Yesterday, I was able to test out the SkyRocket for a shorter amount of time compared the SGSII side to side. The LTE is faster at loading videos and websites.
    Also, one thing was important to me was the time it took to find the location. I saw in a video that was a problem for they Skyrocket. And it actually had a problem on the test unit I played with. I am city person and don't drive that much but finding the location is still important. Actually probably more important if I am walking down the street and need to find and ATM,store or do any search by location while on the train or bus. I don't ever see myself watching movies but I do alot of searching on my phone and 4G is significantly faster.

I have never been itching to get out of my contracts for a new phone and the SGSII would make me happy to keep it for longer than 24 months. So, that is why it is a struggle for me. Do I want a 4G for 2+ years for everyday use to look up things on the internet significantly faster. Or having a phone that I can grip and hold in my hand comfortably for 2+ years or even 18 months. The website and movie may load faster but if I don't like holding the phone to watch the entire video or browse that faster loading website for a long time then the benefits of 4G may not be a good thing. I may have answered my own question..SGSII it is. I can switch to a 4.3 inch 4G phone in 18-24 months. I know Samsung will make one. My current phone is a Blackberry on EDGE that I have had for 28 months. So the 3G and the phone it self will be a major upgrade in itself. I take it when it drops to $50 or less on amazon within 2 months (I hope).
    11-20-2011 02:40 PM
158 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD